2003 Mainship 30 with leaking fuel Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raybeebe

I have a 2003 Mainship 30 in fair condition which now has a leaking fuel tank.
Obviously they need to remove engine to replace it. Has anyone done this? can you get tanks? I am afraid this may be a black hole that will keep sucking money. Appreciate any thoughts.

It will suck up a lot of money. I made a crane to let me get our engines out. Once the crane is assembled it takes about an hour prep, unhooking wires, cables and fuel lines. Then our mechanic comes and it took 1.5 hours to unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine and position it stacked above the other engine. But I have already setup the plywood deck and supports under the plywood to set the engine on. If you do as much as possible before the yard comes in it will save you a bit of money. I make a list of absolutely everything that is done taking it apart so that I can remember how everything goes back together. Last winter I pulled the port engine and this winter I have the starboard engine out. Good luck.

I found a leaking port tank this summer. Emptied tank and replumbed to starboard tank for the rest of the season. I figured out a plan. Mark every connection on both sides before removal. Take a bunch of pictures. Take out engine. Take out - cut out tanks- whichever is easier. Tank fittings are very close to gunwhale. I am having tanks made once I remove them and may go a little shorter to gain some acces to the tank fill connections. I would opine that both tanks should be replaced. This will be an enormous job . Everything has a lifespan!
I am hoping to post numerous times when I get this going in the spring

Back
Top Bottom