2000 to 2015 mainship 34 trawler construction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappy208

Guru
Vessel Name
Slip Aweigh
Vessel Make
Prairie 29
Anyone familiar with this era Mainship hull lamination? Core? Type? Thickness? Thanks.

Mainships are good boats for the money. However, when I was "boat shopping" one thing about them that I did not like was their "tenderness". I found that when stepping on board from the dock, they tended (in general) to tip or move quite a bit. A lot more than compared to American Tug or Nordic Tug (for example) of approx. the same size.

Just a comment, and a part of what caused me to look elsewhere.
However, as I said, generally pretty good boats for the money IMO.

Mainships are good boats for the money. However, when I was "boat shopping" one thing about them that I did not like was their "tenderness". I found that when stepping on board from the dock, they tended (in general) to tip or move quite a bit. A lot more than compared to American Tug or Nordic Tug (for example) of approx. the same size.

Just a comment, and a part of what caused me to look elsewhere.
However, as I said, generally pretty good boats for the money IMO.

Why did you sugar coat your opinion?

Because I am Canadian, and we are nice??

Anyone familiar with this era Mainship hull lamination? Core? Type? Thickness? Thanks.

As far as I know, all of the Luhrs Group powerboat hulls were solid fiberglass. Not sure if Hunter sailboats were the same, but it wouldn't surprise me.

-Chris

As far as I know, all of the Luhrs Group powerboat hulls were solid fiberglass. Not sure if Hunter sailboats were the same, but it wouldn't surprise me.

-Chris
I know that's true below the water line but believe it's cored above. When I added a holding tank vent at the bow near the anchor locker drain & A/C discharge it was 1/2" solid FG.

Heres the applicable quote from the Mainship Manufacturing 2007 link found on my Bacchus website under useful links section...

"I was also impressed to see that Mainship uses only the finest coring materials such as end-grain balsa to strengthen the hull walls. No coring is used below the waterline to protect from water intrusion that could result in de-lamination."

Last edited:
Thank you Bacchus. That’s what I was looking for. I found a good deal. Now to figure out if I can fit her on my mooring. May be time to upgrade!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom