Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We put just under 1,000 hours a year and we cover 17,000-18,000 nm.
BB. - You'll win several awards for this usage including one from the fuel suppliers.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
BB. - You'll win several awards for this usage including one from the fuel suppliers.
Well, I think one thing that jumps out is our hours of engine use aren't exceptionally high. We just cover more water because we're faster. And, yes, the fuel suppliers do like us. However, we are nothing compared to some of the megayachts. We prefer not to look at what we spend on fuel, but just think of all we saved when the prices went from $4 to $2 per gallon.

However, in engine hours we're no greater than many full time trawler cruisers.

And we don't put many miles on our cars. Our three cars are now 4 1/2 years old and all have under 18,000 miles.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #23

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
For many years we avgd about 1000 hrs/yr on the mains with 4000 hrs on the gens, probably my biggest year was 2500 hrs on the mains with 12,000 gen hrs (having to run two gens during peak loads)
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaRacer View Post
For many years we avgd about 1000 hrs/yr on the mains with 4000 hrs on the gens, probably my biggest year was 2500 hrs on the mains with 12,000 gen hrs (having to run two gens during peak loads)
What were you doing that big year with 7 hours per day running the engines and 33 hours per day of generator usage? Doesn't seem like much time left to spend wherever you were.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #25

Three Atlantic crossings, three Med crossings, Ft Laud to down island and back, plus many far down island trips, and a bunch of Bahamas running.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Three Atlantic crossings, three Med crossings, Ft Laud to down island and back, plus many far down island trips, and a bunch of Bahamas running.
Yes, any crossings add hours fast. A crossing of 10 days would give you the equivalent of 34 seven hour days.

You need to jump in to the Passage maker thread.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #27

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
we put 350 hours in 2016, fishing in central BC, whch is our normal summer, and change oil in october, etc...we have what is called 'gulfcoast oil and fuel bypass filters, that use a 6" bounty paper towell, i buy at costco...[gulfcoastfilters.com] i send an oil sample in when i change it. if we only put about 200 hrs on, i change only the oil/fuel filters, and need to add a couple of quarts! it takes a while to learn the system, ours have been on for over 20 yrs! any questions, just ask...i use amsoil 10/30 synthetic in my genset, change it at 100 hrs, which is uaually 2 years...the world throws a lot of good oil away!...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Ak
Vessel Name: Nadezdha
Vessel Model: 1972 Beaver 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I do about 600 hours a year, in the four months of summer that is available... Lots of that time is trolling for salmon at idle, perhaps as much as half of it.
I also put a lot of idle hours on the clock dragging for salmon. My favorite use of my boat(s).
BrotherDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It took 2.5 years to reach the 300-hour threshold.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Yes, any crossings add hours fast. A crossing of 10 days would give you the equivalent of 34 seven hour days.

You need to jump in to the Passage maker thread.
Yeah, now if you could only DO a crossing in ten days, lol. Speed and range are inverse factors. Ft Laud to Gib, then Gib to Greece/Turkey & return. I think it was around 11 knts for fuel range. That was an older 150 'Fead with big Detroit 149's

Even Ft Laud to Grenada/Barbados is a bit of a stretch, weather always on the nose.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #31

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
we have been going to the bella bella area in BC for 20+ years. do our trolling for 3+ weeks, and head home with our limit, 8 per license X 2, every year! also lots of bottom/rock fish, plus last yer my wife snagged a 50 Lb halibut! was fun getting the monster on board! sure glad we have a scotty net!...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, now if you could only DO a crossing in ten days, lol. Speed and range are inverse factors. Ft Laud to Gib, then Gib to Greece/Turkey & return. I think it was around 11 knts for fuel range. That was an older 150 'Fead with big Detroit 149's

Even Ft Laud to Grenada/Barbados is a bit of a stretch, weather always on the nose.
Yes, even taking the FLL to Bermuda to Azores to Lisbon you're talking about 15 days elapsed, running about 14. At 12 knots about 12 days. Our future plans include a crossing although not 100% decided what boat but the ones we're thinking about we could run 12 knots regularly but mix in a good bit of 15 knots or so. We could even do up to 20 knots on the Bermuda leg and the Lisbon leg if conditions were favorable. All far in the future. We figure 12 days of travel but we'd spend a week in Bermuda and one in the Azores.

Most boats even that will run faster are pretty much limited to 12 knots if they're trying for 2500 nm or more, 11 knots for 3000 nm.

With all those crossings, your hours sure make a lot of sense.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Yes, even taking the FLL to Bermuda to Azores to Lisbon you're talking about 15 days elapsed, running about 14. At 12 knots about 12 days. Our future plans include a crossing although not 100% decided what boat but the ones we're thinking about we could run 12 knots regularly but mix in a good bit of 15 knots or so. We could even do up to 20 knots on the Bermuda leg and the Lisbon leg if conditions were favorable. All far in the future. We figure 12 days of travel but we'd spend a week in Bermuda and one in the Azores.

Most boats even that will run faster are pretty much limited to 12 knots if they're trying for 2500 nm or more, 11 knots for 3000 nm.

With all those crossings, your hours sure make a lot of sense.
I've taken the island hop route on smaller boats, does keep you a bit further south, coming UP to the Azores rather than dropping DOWN thru them on GC route. But I've never heard of anyone heading to Lisbon, always just straight on in to Gib, (sometime even Ceuta, prefer Gib). Usually in to much of a hurry for detours. Lucky to get 24 hrs for fuel, groceries, fresh pizza & beer, get a cpl hrs sleep then off again.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I've taken the island hop route on smaller boats, does keep you a bit further south, coming UP to the Azores rather than dropping DOWN thru them on GC route. But I've never heard of anyone heading to Lisbon, always just straight on in to Gib, (sometime even Ceuta, prefer Gib). Usually in to much of a hurry for detours. Lucky to get 24 hrs for fuel, groceries, fresh pizza & beer, get a cpl hrs sleep then off again.
I used Lisbon only because it's the nearest but everyone I know has gone to Gibraltar.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Thank goodness for protected waters. (Here in Raccoon Strait, San Francisco Bay.)

Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #36

Coming home in the fall CAN be more enjoyable, Gib, Canaries, Verdes', then aim for Barbados, watch the hurricanes coming up your butt, when you get a weather window crank north up thru the W indies, VI's and drift in thru Bahamas.
Miss the old Port Everglades stacks as "welcome home" landmarks. Now it's just a gps heading instead of "aim for those stacks" and you knew it was time to put the beer on ice. lol
Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #37
FF
Guru

If the boat is comfortable , and your shipmates agreeable, speed has very little use.

A crossing at 150 miles per day with 3 or more is a seagoing vacation.

3 folks can stand watches of 3 on 6 off, which equals loads of sleep with little effort.

Extra crew can be used as cook, or to stand down one crew for a full day.

Bring lots of books , enjoy the blue water experience.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote