200 engine hours in a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we have been going to the bella bella area in BC for 20+ years. do our trolling for 3+ weeks, and head home with our limit, 8 per license X 2, every year! also lots of bottom/rock fish, plus last yer my wife snagged a 50 Lb halibut! was fun getting the monster on board! sure glad we have a scotty net!...clyde

Yeah, now if you could only DO a crossing in ten days, lol. Speed and range are inverse factors. Ft Laud to Gib, then Gib to Greece/Turkey & return. I think it was around 11 knts for fuel range. That was an older 150 'Fead with big Detroit 149's

Even Ft Laud to Grenada/Barbados is a bit of a stretch, weather always on the nose.

Yes, even taking the FLL to Bermuda to Azores to Lisbon you're talking about 15 days elapsed, running about 14. At 12 knots about 12 days. Our future plans include a crossing although not 100% decided what boat but the ones we're thinking about we could run 12 knots regularly but mix in a good bit of 15 knots or so. We could even do up to 20 knots on the Bermuda leg and the Lisbon leg if conditions were favorable. All far in the future. We figure 12 days of travel but we'd spend a week in Bermuda and one in the Azores.

Most boats even that will run faster are pretty much limited to 12 knots if they're trying for 2500 nm or more, 11 knots for 3000 nm.

With all those crossings, your hours sure make a lot of sense.

Yes, even taking the FLL to Bermuda to Azores to Lisbon you're talking about 15 days elapsed, running about 14. At 12 knots about 12 days. Our future plans include a crossing although not 100% decided what boat but the ones we're thinking about we could run 12 knots regularly but mix in a good bit of 15 knots or so. We could even do up to 20 knots on the Bermuda leg and the Lisbon leg if conditions were favorable. All far in the future. We figure 12 days of travel but we'd spend a week in Bermuda and one in the Azores.

Most boats even that will run faster are pretty much limited to 12 knots if they're trying for 2500 nm or more, 11 knots for 3000 nm.

With all those crossings, your hours sure make a lot of sense.

I've taken the island hop route on smaller boats, does keep you a bit further south, coming UP to the Azores rather than dropping DOWN thru them on GC route. But I've never heard of anyone heading to Lisbon, always just straight on in to Gib, (sometime even Ceuta, prefer Gib). Usually in to much of a hurry for detours. Lucky to get 24 hrs for fuel, groceries, fresh pizza & beer, get a cpl hrs sleep then off again.

I've taken the island hop route on smaller boats, does keep you a bit further south, coming UP to the Azores rather than dropping DOWN thru them on GC route. But I've never heard of anyone heading to Lisbon, always just straight on in to Gib, (sometime even Ceuta, prefer Gib). Usually in to much of a hurry for detours. Lucky to get 24 hrs for fuel, groceries, fresh pizza & beer, get a cpl hrs sleep then off again.

I used Lisbon only because it's the nearest but everyone I know has gone to Gibraltar.

Thank goodness for protected waters. (Here in Raccoon Strait, San Francisco Bay.)

Coming home in the fall CAN be more enjoyable, Gib, Canaries, Verdes', then aim for Barbados, watch the hurricanes coming up your butt, when you get a weather window crank north up thru the W indies, VI's and drift in thru Bahamas.
Miss the old Port Everglades stacks as "welcome home" landmarks. Now it's just a gps heading instead of "aim for those stacks" and you knew it was time to put the beer on ice. lol

If the boat is comfortable , and your shipmates agreeable, speed has very little use.

A crossing at 150 miles per day with 3 or more is a seagoing vacation.

3 folks can stand watches of 3 on 6 off, which equals loads of sleep with little effort.

Extra crew can be used as cook, or to stand down one crew for a full day.

Bring lots of books , enjoy the blue water experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom