2 way headphones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$1032 Aud at Amazon here. We just might continue yelling at each other:). Actually, it`s not hard to create a signal system for mooring pickups, the direction of the boathook handle and its unfortunate wielder is a guide.

Hey Bruce, the ultra lite single ear are AU$289ea at rubbermonkey (the importer?) or AU$652 for a pair at azamom. The latter seems to have a weird pricing when you go through the various options, but the former has delivery fees making it $300ea.

Not sure I need 4 "marriage savers" as if I have more than one married-to-me on board at a time I think I may be in more trouble than headphones can solve :whistling:.

I usually prefer a two ear-cover set though rather than a single ear - has anyone used both for Eartec and have a preference?

Just purchased the Eartech headsets. Audio quality is great. However, they can fall of my wife's head quite easily. I'm wondering what kind of lanyard solution you folks have come up with.

I was wondering if that could happen.

No problems with Sena for us. We have had ours for 6+ years, did the loop in 2016-17 and used them often for that entire year. We have seen a range of 500 to 600 feet, definitely good enough to stern tie without losing comms.

When the batteries go I will make the effort to replace them for sure.

With our Eartec (single ear - Lite), we just used simple cording with a small carabiner on one end, and the other end was tied to the headset (at the non-earcup end). Then we just quickly clipped the carabiner to our PFD (if not wearing a PFD clip to belt loop, hang it around your neck, etc.).
We found it worked well and cost us all of about $5, for both. We never experienced any issues (our units are only a couple of years old, so can't talk for older models) with the 2 units communicating. But to be sure, we turned them on in the Pilothouse and sound checked prior to "doing anything" where comms were important.

We really like Eartec. Definately great for docking or picking up balls.

However it's important to exercise self control. i often hum songs while docking . My spouse claims it is cruel and unusual punishment.

Just saying. :angel:

Ang,
That is exactly why I don't hum or sing, especially while using these:)
Say hi to the Mrs. for me.
Tom

No problems with Sena for us. We have had ours for 6+ years, did the loop in 2016-17 and used them often for that entire year. We have seen a range of 500 to 600 feet, definitely good enough to stern tie without losing comms.

When the batteries go I will make the effort to replace them for sure.

Hi Nancy and Rick.

If you manage to find any guide on changing Sena batteries, or even a supply of Sena batteries, I suspect we'd all love to hear from you.

Even the UK supplier was unable to do this, and to make matters worse, Sena refused to supply spares.

Not the best customer support by any means!

Looking for a set of 2-way radio headphones. I am at the helm and the Admiral on the bow picking up a mooring. Well, its hard to her!

The only thing I can find is Bluetooth for phones or very expansive 2-way units in the $800 per pair units.

any suggestions??

My suggestion is to pick up moorings from the stern, generally easier and then walk back to the bow. As I singlehand, I can generally hear myself - but I don't always listen!
:banghead:

i have used 3 different sets, the cheap ones work but we eventuly have gone for the peltor III headsets expencive but how mutch cost it when you have a bad docking ?
peltor make them for the marine, car racing and airline industry, they have mic build in so you can hear also the surrounding soud that is automatic volume adjusted, there are more brands, only in europe is this the top (have 2 sets in use and 2 spare sets, my wife wont depart is they not working)

Love our Sena's now for the past six (6) years. No trouble pairing them - I guess I either figured it out or got lucky. We use them all the time. Even paired our two up with another set of two when we helped friends on their 48 Kadey on the ICW. Only issue was that I was told, ... "Gary, you're not the captain." Oops. My bad.

My suggestion is to pick up moorings from the stern, generally easier and then walk back to the bow. As I singlehand, I can generally hear myself - but I don't always listen!
:banghead:

I wonder why more (or most?) don't pick up moorings from the stern? Seems like far less tension that way.

We love our Sena SPH10 blouetooth headsets. Saw them at a boatshow, tried them out, along with another Sena pair that WEREN'T bluetooth. The range and clarity on these was a lot better. Very handy for mooring and docking. Something broke on one pair the first year and they replaced them with no problem at all, so great customer service.

KISS 2 way system if you both have cell phones

We have a 1 set of cheap bluetooth earbuds for $20 and 2 smartphones. I keep both smartphones in the cabin, call the other cellphone where she picks up the call using her bluetooth. Works 45ft apart easily, small and battery last for hours plus you can use them for music.

We love Eartec. We should have done this sooner. The improved safety when pulling prawn traps and docking is fantastic. Before this was done by scream and even then not well. We used hand singles for anchoring before Eatec and that was OK but a dream with the head sets. I can now say what the bottom feels like which makes the Admiral happier.

We also use them when backing into parking our 5th wheel. Make the process quietly efficient! I don't know about a marriage saver but certainly less stressful all round.

We have a 1 set of cheap bluetooth earbuds for $20 and 2 smartphones. I keep both smartphones in the cabin, call the other cellphone where she picks up the call using her bluetooth. Works 45ft apart easily, small and battery last for hours plus you can use them for music.

We got to extra effort to get out of cell range. Guess that solution wouldn't work for us.

We use single-ear Eartechs. They work very well for docking and locking. The only complaint is battery charge life.

He calls me on my cell phone and we use hands free earbuds.

Yep, I have used this a few times. Works well and is cheap.

Works great! . . . . . provided you have a cell phone signal. Lots of our cruising is in areas of either marginal, or non-existant cell phone signal, so using our cell phones for critical docking communications is a non-starter, at least for us.

This is the way. We tried Sena and sent them back, too difficult for us to pair reliably. Eartech just works.

Two tips, remove the batteries when not in use to assure they don't get left on, and rig a lanyard so you don't lose one overboard.
Ditto! We’ve been very happy with our Eartech headsets. A game changer for Captain-Admiral communication during departure, mooring and docking. Agree about the batteries. We bought an extra set of batteries for backup.

Sena sph10

All worked extremely well once I realised you only pair them once and not each time they are switched on. Can use from boat to shore whilst at anchor. I have not yet come to the end of the battery life, but expect to get the toolbox out then….:)

Just purchased the Eartech headsets. Audio quality is great. However, they can fall of my wife's head quite easily. I'm wondering what kind of lanyard solution you folks have come up with.

First, a baseball cap will help keep the headset located. As to a lanyard, just adapt one of the clip on ones they sell in drugstores for glasses.

I hope you will find that wearing a baseball cap is 90% of the cure for a loose headset. We did.

Bluetooth 3.0 was introduced in 2009. My year old AirPods run Bluetooth 5.0 and while they are amazing, they drop the connection with my phone long before I get 900 feet away. Always take those theoretical working distances with a grain of salt. That said, even 300 feet is a long, long way in terms of docking and line handling.

The differences between the Sena and Eartec sets are significant and they really are too different to compare without introducing personal preference.

1. Bluetooth vs. more traditional bandwidth digital radios
  2. Both ears vs. one ear
  3. Around the back of the neck vs. over the top of the head
I have neither, but am in the market for a solution. Seems like if you lean tech-y, have a set of Torx screwdrivers, are okay with having both ears covered and don't mind a tight grip on your ears, Sena is for you. If you like more traditional access to batteries, like one ear unfettered to hear the nearby sounds more clearly, and want gravity to assist in holding the headset in place, EarTec is for you. Am I reading that right?

Bluetooth 3.0 was introduced in 2009. My year old AirPods run Bluetooth 5.0 and while they are amazing, they drop the connection with my phone long before I get 900 feet away. Always take those theoretical working distances with a grain of salt. That said, even 300 feet is a long, long way in terms of docking and line handling.

The differences between the Sena and Eartec sets are significant and they really are too different to compare without introducing personal preference.

1. Bluetooth vs. more traditional bandwidth digital radios
  2. Both ears vs. one ear
  3. Around the back of the neck vs. over the top of the head
I have neither, but am in the market for a solution. Seems like if you lean tech-y, have a set of Torx screwdrivers, are okay with having both ears covered and don't mind a tight grip on your ears, Sena is for you. If you like more traditional access to batteries, like one ear unfettered to hear the nearby sounds more clearly, and want gravity to assist in holding the headset in place, EarTec is for you. Am I reading that right?

Eartech has both single and double ear models which you can mix and match.

Back
Top Bottom