Old 05-20-2022, 01:22 AM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Richmond VA
Vessel Name: Mad Hatter
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43' DC
In the army, there were several times you had to 'close bunk' with another dude in a tent made of two shelter halves, in the back/under a vehicle, or on the floor at some outpost. You learn really quickly that when you're tired and only get a few options for sleeve, you make due. People are resilient creatures and can adapt to change (even as temporary as an overnighter!)

It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal. There's literally nothing different than sleeping sitting up in a plane with other random people beside you (similar rules apply, except substitute the 'don't cuddle' general rule with 'don't slump against someone.'

I've hot-racked with dudes on trips, camping in the same tent on the trail, or crashing in a hotel room to save cash. If you know and trust your buddies, it's really not an issue unless you don't trust yourself.

A camping sleep-mat may provide a bed for people who are squeamish about being too close to someone else, so suggest that option if people are being weird about it. Separate sleeping bags also make a good barrier. Otherwise, sleeping arrangements will make themselves, and everyone can laugh about it later.

As much as you don't want to cuddle your buddies, I guarantee they don't want to cuddle you back. Sleep is necessary, and it's not going to hurt anyone to share a queen bed . . . Though a full might be a little too close for comfort.
Gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:49 AM   #42
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Sleep is sleep. Guys, anything you fearfully attach to bunking together is hogwash.

I'm shocked, truly shocked, that men would be so reluctant to share sleeping quarters for a night.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Absolutely. Pointedly, no one asked the obvious, is the "sharer" attractive? Cute, even.
Please forgive the drift, tomorrow is Federal voting day after 6 turgid weeks of political "campaigning". Any distraction, even 2 guys sharing a Queen(!) bed for a night, becomes interesting.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:39 AM   #43

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Justin E, Jason S
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler Defiance/Nordic Tug 37
After a career in the military, I find the discussion needless, on the other hand they don't call the bunk queen size for nothing.......
Jack2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:23 AM   #44
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
When it is dark and rainy, fighting a forest fire and only the piece of WWII canvas, maybe 3x4ft and some guy wants to share it with you, a guy cant say NO.
I had the canvas.(to wrap up and protect the equipment)... With 2 of us under that canvas it kept us semi dry and our body heat kept us warm. We never discussed that night..... LOL we were not the only 2 in the crew that shared the canvas. We were all so tired, we were only interested in sleep. It was the next day they air dropped WWII paper sleeping bags and WWII rations. Gotta love that fruit cake, I miss it.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:13 AM   #45
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Peter/Mvweebles is right. There it is. Yep, what he said. And it's not entirely obsolete. My boys open doors for women, say ma'am to old ladies (and we're not even southern), you use titles instead of names when appropriate, you call teachers Mr./Mrs./Ms. whether they'd otherwise use first names or not, and if there's a woman stranded on the side of the road you offer to help (men stranded on the side of the road, you try to be helpful too but that depends on circumstances). And the man pays for dinner for a good while, until maybe you're married. And if a girl drops something, you bend down and pick it up for her, even if she's a peer. The girls and boys track teams were killing time on the infield between races a couple weeks ago and one of the girls dropped a relay baton. My son picked it up and handed it to her. Good man. And it's awkward to double bunk with random guys, unless you're sharing the V-berth with your brother. I'm not raising barbarians.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:58 PM   #46
Guru

Putting 2 people in a queen size bed will fit. 3 people, you have to rope yourselves together. I know this for a fact!!!
Old 05-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #47
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
3 people, you have to rope yourselves together. I know this for a fact!!!

Do we want to hear the story behind that one?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:25 AM   #48
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Additional context

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Having read most of the posts, I have to say, "talk about making a mountain out of a molehill" - albeit many were quite amusing.

But for heavens sake..! The OP's situation is surely one which calls for contingency plans. Guys out fishing for a night or two and not enough beds for all to be singles.

You just do what I think Headmistress first suggested. Separate sleeping bags, and top and tail if you must, and just deal with it FCS..!

Just to add some understanding, the "guys" are wounded and disabled military vets, some of which, because of things like PTSD, etc. may be sensitive to sharing a bunk.

I agree, sleeping bags and air mattresses are the way to go, also telling the vets what the sleeping arrangements are and if they have an issue, we can schedule them on another type of trip.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:57 PM   #49
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Didn't you do this in Boy Scouts? Was it really a problem??
Old 05-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Do we want to hear the story behind that one?
Tom, 2 women, Yen, her mother and me. Was so crowded and being a gentleman, left the bed to the ladies.

Now for the men, a disappointment, we had our clothes on.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:59 AM   #51
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:07 AM   #52
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Boy Scouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
In Boy Scouts we had tents with separate air mattresses and sleeping bags. But THAT was in 1962!

In 2016 I went on a Boy Scout camping trip with my grandson. We had space age sleeping bags and separate cots! And our own personal chef who cooked the shepards pie in aluminum foil to our order over the campfire!

Times have changed!
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #53
Guru

What happens on the boat,
1. stays on the boat
2. never happened
Old 05-23-2022, 08:45 AM   #54

City: Jacksonville/Bahamas
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Peter/Mvweebles is right. There it is. Yep, what he said. And it's not entirely obsolete. My boys open doors for women, say ma'am to old ladies (and we're not even southern), you use titles instead of names when appropriate, you call teachers Mr./Mrs./Ms. whether they'd otherwise use first names or not, and if there's a woman stranded on the side of the road you offer to help (men stranded on the side of the road, you try to be helpful too but that depends on circumstances). And the man pays for dinner for a good while, until maybe you're married. And if a girl drops something, you bend down and pick it up for her, even if she's a peer. The girls and boys track teams were killing time on the infield between races a couple weeks ago and one of the girls dropped a relay baton. My son picked it up and handed it to her. Good man. And it's awkward to double bunk with random guys, unless you're sharing the V-berth with your brother. I'm not raising barbarians.
Ding Ding Ding!
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:13 PM   #55
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
That's odd, I've got the exact opposite problem. All sorts of room and not nearly enough men to share it with.

Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:17 PM   #56
Veteran Member

City: South Ogden
My take on the dilemma is that as long as you don't push back or make eye contact, it'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Yes, bundling boards were used to stop intimacy between 2 people in a bed. But keep in mind they were not 100% effective…
Hence, how the glory hole was invented.
LandlockedInUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #57
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Boy Scouts? We never... never... had queen beds to sleep in!
Sleeping bags yes beds of any sort only in your dreams
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:05 PM   #58
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
When high-altitude/inclement backpacking, I never had a problem sharing a two-man tent with a buddy, sleeping in separate bags. In my boat, I share a bed with my cutie, under covers.