1999 Ocean Alexaner 450 - Hull Construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinCT

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Neon Moon
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 480 Classico
I contacted the OA Factory and found that the OA 450 that I'm looking at has a solid glass hull with balsa cored sides from the waterline up (not solid pvc coring as they used later).

I'm concerned b/c I've heard a LOT about balsa turning to mush and possible catastrophic failures. I am looking for advice about experiences and the ancient question... to buy, or not to buy?

This boat is listed on YW in Stamford CT, $290K. Expecting they will take less.

I think you'll find that many makes of boats today are cored with Balsa above the water line.

In order for the balsa to get wet there must be some failure of the gelcoat. You'd know if you hit a dock or something hard enough to crack or break the gelcoat. At that point you'd want to get the repairs done no matter what coring material was used.

I contacted the OA Factory and found that the OA 450 that I'm looking at has a solid glass hull with balsa cored sides from the waterline up (not solid pvc coring as they used later).

I'm concerned b/c I've heard a LOT about balsa turning to mush and possible catastrophic failures. I am looking for advice about experiences and the ancient question... to buy, or not to buy?

This boat is listed on YW in Stamford CT, $290K. Expecting they will take less.

We can't tell you whether to buy or not with neither you nor us having never seen the boat. You have to see it, then if it looks fine to you, still get it surveyed.

we had a OA 66 with Balsa core from 1991 we don't get trouble, but good survey are indispensable ;)

Hugues

Back
Top Bottom