Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #1

City: STRATFORD
1988 Steiger Craft 23' Block Island - Original Propeller size and pitch ?

Hi guys! I have called Steiger Craft but they said that my boat is too old and they don't have records of what was the original propeller on my 1988 23' Block Island. It has a Volvo Penta AQ211a motor with an AQ290a outdrive. Does anyone know what was the original size and pitch of the propeller on this boat? I am asking because I am not getting full RPMs. Neither was the previous owner. Carb opens fully, revs up fine in neutral. I have so far replaced spark plugs and wires distributor, cleaned the flame arrester, tested compression (148-150 PSI for all cylinders) replaced fuel filter. When underway, it does not break 3000 RPMs. The manual says I should be able to cruise at 4000-4400 RPMs. Someone told me to check the pitch of the existing propeller, that it may be incorrect. I don't know what the pitch should be though! At this point, like many of this generation, the transom scuppers are underwater. There is some wetness under the deck, and wonder if just added weight from wetness is causing enough weight to slow this boat down that much, as it is enough to put the scuppers under water line. But, I am just trying to gather as much information as possible so if anyone can help with sizing the correct propeller I can at least eliminate that as a cause as well! Thank you!
mheffern79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome to the forum! I hope you find an answer to your question.

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
Guru

Not familiar with your vessel but still baffled as to how it could be acceptable to have the scuppers underwater? Seems to me that the answer must be staring you in the face. Sounds like you somehow have a waterlogged very heavy boat dragging its ass in the water. I checked and confirmed this is not a wood boat, so where and why is it this way? I would forget the prop and focus on the boat weight.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Check the bilges for water?
Trim tabs full up?
Lower unit full down?

How many HP is that motor?
Does it ever plane off?

A friend had one of those boats and he used to run it to the canyons off NJ with an additional 50 gal gas bladder on the deck. Single 225 Honda OB.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 79. Welcome aboard. I would think a decent prop shop should be able to give you a best "guess".