1981 Westerbeke 7.7 diesel genset Worth rebuilding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Was running fine with 4600 hrs two years ago. Installed rebuilt injector pump and rebuilt raw water pump and new fresh water pump. Ran great until heat exchanger developed pin hole leak and sprayed salt water all over the back end for 10 days before generator shut off. Salt everywhere, sprayed off with fresh water and saltaway 'til clean but assumed stator and back end is toast. I haven't started the motor in two years. Been using a 2kw portable as needed but would like to repair or replace the Westerbeke. Found rebuilt back end for $1200... Summer's coming soon and it gets brutal on the mooring ball here in Marathon with no ac. What would a yard charge to swap out the back end and get her running again? $1000? or is that too optimistic? Any other thoughts or ideas? Boat got topside beat up in Irma so I'm thinking of restoring her slowly as I can afford it.. Good old boat with decent engines, wiring. Doubt I could get much for her in this shape..
Thanks folks..

I had a similar issue with my 8.0 Westy.

A new backend is about $2600 without shipping from Broward.

It took two guys almost 6 hours to install mine (and I was going to do it myself!)

Total cost was $3559.

Swaping out the rear end of my 8Kw was pretty easy for me.

2 A/C wires, the starter and wires came off, about 8 bolts and the housing was off. Then the rotor, 6 bolts and it was off.

Reverse and done. Not even a full days work unless the bolts are rusted in. And mine was a mess.

For a yard to swap rear ends, if tbey charge more than $1000, they ran into something unusual.

Brutal... But cheaper than new!!

In my case the two bolts on the bottom were pretty seized up. Shipping to/from Broward was $150 as well.

Initially I was going to tackle the job myself but figured the $1000 investment in their labor was worth my own time.

In the end it saved my butt too! After everything was hooked up they tried to excite the rectifier and it was a bad rectifier. Luckily he had another one on hand.

If I had done the work myself and had this happen the boat might be sitting on the bottom now!

I just had the whole left lobe of my liver removed two days after Irma and the thought of getting into the bilge at all is enough to make me tired

It’s going to cost more than $1000, especially if there’s any work other than unbolting the old and putting the new generator end in place. $1000-3000 range.

Back
Top Bottom