1977 MARINE TRADER 34footer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCDSAIL

no.gif
* Hello All,

I Recently got out of sailboating and looked at a 1977 Marine Trader 34 footer.

Not familiar with these and am somewhat apprehensive.*

The Lehman Ford has 3,200 hours. Owner has installed new cooling hoses, exchanger etc.*and*fuel tanks.*The bottom paint is a*very moon like surface with many blemishes painted over for years.

I have read about the*cabin top fatigue from moisture and not sure if this could be a problem. One that would show when 6 people decide to go up there?

Suggested I want a survey.Seller says that a survey would just point out many items that are not really necessary and to just*buy the boat and enjoy it!

Not exactly what I need to hear. Should I run away from this one?

Thanks,

*JCDSAIL

JCDSAIL,

Get*a survey of any boat that you may want to buy.*

If you like this boat and the price is right then have a survey and make the deal with the seller before hand that anything that comes up under*say $1,000 to fix you will live with but over that amount he agrees to have fixed by a*qualified yard.* Or some kind of like agreement.

That way you are not nickel and diming him and yet you are sure of what you are buying.

If you have teak decks , they are very suspect , as most leak into the ply below and it rots big time.

PH it self should be examined by the windows and PH top examined bt every fitting mounted to it.

All are fixable , of you have some skills and tons of time and modest bucks.

'IF its cheap enough , the owner is right , forgetabout "Yachtie" and just go cruising.

Simple survey , smell on going aboard Rot smells.

"Suggested I want a survey.Seller says that a survey would just point out many items that are not really necessary and to just*buy the boat and enjoy it!"

It MAY point out items that are not necessary to repair, and that's YOUR option. It also might find items that really need attention, and that is why you get a survey. You need to know the entire story.

Wet core in places is not the end of the world as has already been stated.*

I bought a similar boat about a year and a half ago (1979 Europa sedan). I've been pleased with my purchase since the day I steped aboard as the new owner. However, I think one should never buy a boat without a good survey. The surveyor will point out a number of issues, some are critical, some are important, some are minor and some will be purely cosmetic. The survey has two important benefits: you will know what you're getting yourself into and you will have more negociating power, hopefully allowing you to pay the fair value of the vessel given its real condition.

Any taiwanese trawler of that age will show some issues (rotten decks, especially if there is teak). Everything can be fixed. If you're handy you can do most of the work yourself and save a lot of money. If not you can hire someone to do it but the costs might exceed the value of the boat. The survey will allow you to make that evaluation before committing yourself to the project. If you're new to trawlers, the survey will also contribute to your education on this type of vessel.

3,000 hours on a Lehman is nothing if it's been cared for. They can go to 10,000 before a refit.

Bottom paint, not an issue in my mind if there is no blistering.

Rotten decks: a bit more serious but can be fixed if the dammage is not extensive.

The other thing to consider is the electrical system on a boat that old. I had to redo mine almost entirely.

John,

A few folks already pointed out that you really should get a survey.* I want to confirm that.* A survey is a bit of money to lay out but you will need one to get the best insurance rate on the boat.* Over the course of a few years of insurance, I am sure you will see a good return on your initial investment.* The 2nd reason is you get to take the engine to it's highest rated RPM under the watchfull eye of the surveyor.* If the owner of the boat doesn't want you to do that, then walk away from the deal.

I bought my MT 34DC last year*and am in the process of adding a lot of new capital improvements.* The one big maintenance item is re-newal of the upper decks.* They were soft and bouncy.* The surveyor was a pretty heavy guy and he wouldn't even go up on the bridge deck.*

The*good news is I got some additional money knocked off an already low price because of that.* The bad news is how much it is costing*in materials and labor to renew a deck on these boats.* *

The job is about half finished now at a cost of $3000 and still climbing.** It certainly isn't cheap to do this kind of thing so be advised.* You may ask, does it really need doing? *You decide.* The reason the upper decks on MTs built in the 70's*need to be re-built is*the Taiwanese builders made the upper decks out of scrap mahogany plywood left from building the rest of the boat.* The pieces, some as small as 4 in x 4 in square, were glued end to end with resin and*sandwiched between two fiberglass layers.* I guess the resin and labor were cheap compared to a solid sheet of plywood.* They tended to use this recycled product on the upper decks and I have seen some photos of it in cabin walls.* Some good news,* they used good quality mahogany plywood for most of the interior of the boat including the bulkheads.* I know because I am installing my own AC and have drilled a number of 4 in round holes finding everything I drill thru is solid mahogany plywood.* If they hadn't built the boat so strong,*most of the boats*wouldn't still be around for us to buy.*

What the Taiwanese builders didn't know and modern boat builders have learned is polyester resin does not bond well to oil rich woods like mahogany and teak.* The oils weaken the bond over time.* I*am finding the fiberglass has actually separated from the mahogany core.* That allows the fiberglass to flex a lot, develop cracks*and let water into the core which causes even mahogany plywood to delaminate.* That said the decks have still lasted a long time and that is probably due to the mahogany core and past owers weren't*as heavy as current owners tend to be.***The first is a fact while the second is my hypothesis.****

Due to the thickness of the original bridge deck, it is taking (2) sheets of 1/2" in cabinet grade plywood criss-crossed for strength, screwed and resin impregnated*and a whole lot of fibreglass cloth and resin to equal*the original deck thickness.* As my repair expert says, the bridge deck will be as strong as the hull when this job is*finished.* I am keeping a running list of materials and labor hours on this project.* I will share the results*if you like when the job completes, hopefully in another week or two.***Until then*I am just peeling thru greenbacks like crazy.* You got to buy it cheap and love the boat to go through this!

Bob

Fotoman wrote:

3,000 hours on a Lehman is nothing if it's been cared for. They can go to 10,000 before a refit.
* * * * * ____________________________________________________________

*You need to make that 20,000 to 30,000 per Bob Smith.

Daddyo wrote:Fotoman wrote:

* * * * * ____________________________________________________________

*You need to make that 20,000 to 30,000 per Bob Smith.

*Even better!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom