1952 William Garden Fellows and Stewart 58' Motor Yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the original name, of course a sailing "Beagle" took Charles Darwin around the world so the name has history, and your boat has history so I think Beagle is appropriate.

HMS Beagle
February 1817
Cost: £7,803
Laid down: June 1818
Launched: 11 May 1820
Commissioned: 1820
Decommissioned: 1845, transferred to Coastguard
Fate: Sold and broken up 1870
General characteristics
Class and type: Cherokee-class brig-sloop
Tons burthen: 235 bm; 242 for second voyage[1]
Length: 90.3 ft (27.5 m)
Beam: 24.5 ft (7.5 m)
Draught: 12.5 ft (3.8 m)
Sail plan: Brig (barque from 1825)
Complement: 120 as a ship-of-war, 65 plus 9 supernumeraries on second voyage
Armament: 10 guns, reduced to 6 guns for first survey voyage, changed to 7 guns during second survey voyage
HMS Beagle was a Cherokee-class 10-gun brig-sloop of the Royal Navy, one of more than 100 ships of this class. The vessel, constructed at a cost of £7,803 (£628,000 in today's currency), was launched on 11 May 1820 from the Woolwich Dockyard on the River Thames. Later reports say the ship took part in celebrations of the coronation of King George IV of the United Kingdom, passing through the old London Bridge, and was the first rigged man-of-war afloat upriver of the bridge.[2][3] There was no immediate need for Beagle so she "lay in ordinary", moored afloat but without masts or rigging. She was then adapted as a survey barque and took part in three survey expeditions.

The second voyage of HMS Beagle is notable for carrying the recently graduated naturalist Charles Darwin around the world. While the survey work was carried out, Darwin travelled and researched geology, natural history and ethnology onshore. He gained fame by publishing his diary journal, best known as The Voyage of the Beagle, and his findings played a pivotal role in the formation of his scientific theories on evolution and natural selection.[4][5]

"Foiled" or not - the pressure on the rudder when in reverse must be ginormous- don`t let go of the wheel!

Wifey B: William Garden was the best ever. Oh, I love his boats. :dance::dance::dance:

A few more images, pardon my enthusiasm..:)
Your enthusiasm is warranted and shared by many here. Thanks for posting about this amazing boat! Congratulations are in order!

Seatrial 4 hour move to Port Townsend went butter smooth. I’ neve see a boat make so little fuss through the water. No wake and minimal prop wash at 8 knots,

View attachment 110256

WOW - That's all the disturbance at 8 knots!! Again WOW!!

She must get really good nmpg...

What's her calculated WLL hull speed - just a bit above 8 knots??

This ship, and your willing acquisition of her, are inspiring. Bravo to both!
If you ask me (and you didn't), with all due respect to the family that commissioned and cared for her originally, she is KATHERINE JANE. I see no BEAGLE in her beauty!
That stern and rudder......sheeez, be still my heart! I cannot escape the idea that naval architecture has really not advanced that much since this vessel was put to parchment!

I expect you will be inspired each time you board her for as long as you are together and that is what boats are about in my view.

Thanks for the kind words. It's a pretty special situation. Port Townsend is ground zero (on the West coast) for wood boats. This vessel has been cared for by professionals, and vigilant a vigilant owner. When the time comes I will be coming back to https://ptshipwrights.com/2018/ for the shiprite stuff that is way beyond my skills.

I brought in two friends who are work boat professionals (old dudes) to talk me out of this. They both loved the boat.

I called a 74 year old surveyor to do the all important survey. He said
"A wood boat? I do those any more."
"What? I called cause' your old and know these boats."
"Oh I know them, but the last 10 years, people buy a wood boat for a screaming bargain of $20k, then find out they need a survey to get insurance. The only screaming deal was the seller, it needs a chainsaw, not a surveyor. So I get my butt chewed, liability goes through the roof etc. Just a bad deal."
So I sent him a few pics, and we talked more, he agreed to come look ahead of time. Needless to say he was stoked to do this boat.
I also had a mechanical survey done. Received high marks.
So I am really fortunate. But its a niche thing, a single boat that is special in so many ways is ours.
The owner is building an exact replica, he just does't have time to dedicate to this one. He took William Gardens plans to Bob Perry, had him tweak the interior a bit. Same hull in wood epoxy.

IMG_9831.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_9844.jpg

"Foiled" or not - the pressure on the rudder when in reverse must be ginormous- don`t let go of the wheel!

Would be fun to start a "backing up" thread. I never steer backwards when backing up, its a waist of time and effort to try to steer any boat I ever drove backwards. Once I get moving back with the prop turning, I can see which way she wants to pull. It's not the same every time, depending on current, wind ect.

Single screw I use prop wash to swing the way I want, while still moving back.
Twin screws is a cake walk...:)

I'm used to Hyd. steering that locks when used on manual.

Capt Rick - You are a really lucky old boater guy! I have a great, happy life with plenty to fill all my days... However ... If I were to be lucky enough to have that [your new] boat in my life [with ample time also] - well - that would make me very happy too!!

Good luck and super congrats!

Wifey B: William Garden was the best ever. Oh, I love his boats. :dance::dance::dance:

I am just learning how diverse 8' to 280'? And prolific William Garden was...It dawned on me seeing it out the water. Massive bow with house back, to carry a load, and have buoyancy to lift. Authority I guess is how it struck me. With the underwater shape so fat and pinched ash the stern, i swear it looks like an organic shape. If this boat turned over, it would look like a whale or tuna.

View attachment 110393

interesting the next boat will be reborn cold molded?

The only flaw may be the loss of weight that Kathrine J. now enjoys. Will definitely need much ballast to compensate.

Twin engine with protected props , doesn't get better than that !!!!

Love your boat! Love Port Townsend! We repaired, rebuilt, and/or serviced all three of the boats that we have owned in Port Townsend.

Our 1st boat, a 42 woodie GB, was repaired and repainted by the Shipwrights Coop in '93 after 1st arriving in the PNW. When we bought our second boat in '95, a GB50 woodie, we leased a plot from the port and built a Satellite Shelter (between the old Shipwrights building and the highway) and had power installed so we would have a place to work on her during the winter. We leased it to painter Alan Preston when we were not using it. Our current boat spent 2 years (2003-2004) in that shelter being rebuilt by us and a talented but motley crew of Port Townsend workers. The Shipwrights Coop did some of the work on it as well. We sold the building to Freija Boatworks. It still is in use today, although I don't know by who.

As we now keep our boat in Petersburg, AK, we don't get to PT as often-usually just to take out of town guests for a tour. Probably most of the people we knew there have retired or moved on.

Will be looking for your boat if you make it to the Petersburg area.

Tator

I am just learning how diverse 8' to 280'? And prolific William Garden was...It dawned on me seeing it out the water. Massive bow with house back, to carry a load, and have buoyancy to lift. Authority I guess is how it struck me. With the underwater shape so fat and pinched ash the stern, i swear it looks like an organic shape. If this boat turned over, it would look like a whale or tuna.

View attachment 110393

Link fails to open... for me anyway...

Love your boat! Love Port Townsend! We repaired, rebuilt, and/or serviced all three of the boats that we have owned in Port Townsend.

Our 1st boat, a 42 woodie GB, was repaired and repainted by the Shipwrights Coop in '93 after 1st arriving in the PNW. When we bought our second boat in '95, a GB50 woodie, we leased a plot from the port and built a Satellite Shelter (between the old Shipwrights building and the highway) and had power installed so we would have a place to work on her during the winter. We leased it to painter Alan Preston when we were not using it. Our current boat spent 2 years (2003-2004) in that shelter being rebuilt by us and a talented but motley crew of Port Townsend workers. The Shipwrights Coop did some of the work on it as well. We sold the building to Freija Boatworks. It still is in use today, although I don't know by who.

As we now keep our boat in Petersburg, AK, we don't get to PT as often-usually just to take out of town guests for a tour. Probably most of the people we knew there have retired or moved on.

Will be looking for your boat if you make it to the Petersburg area.

Tator

How great to hear from you. I finally did Wrangall Narrows a couple years ago driving a 115' in the pic. I love Petersburg and look forward to hanging out there. I love the "talented but motley crew" comment, it's a whole other culture. I know I'll be back, they have it dialed in.

trawler_edited-3.jpg

Link fails to open... for me anyway...

Sorry about that, see if this works. Lack of cavitation and such a minor wake tells me it's not waisting energy. I have driven a good number of displacement hulls, and I've never seen such a slick shape.

https://youtu.be/aVzUokv8Ogw Short Video

IMG_0997.jpg

There’s a large Garden design that just came on to YachtWorld for sale, a great 66’ pilothouse, built in Tacoma in the 50’s. Currently lying in the Puget Sound area.

Interestingly, its exact friggin’ twin is for sale in Wrangell I believe, or maybe Petersburg, but is advertised as being built at Franck in Seattle. Even the windows and portlights match.

Last edited:
Show n' Tell

Last edited:
There’s a large Garden design that just came on to YachtWorld for sale, a great 66’ pilothouse, built in Tacoma in the 50’s. Currently lying in the Puget Sound area.

Interestingly, its exact friggin’ twin is for sale in Wrangell I believe, or maybe Petersburg, but is advertised as being built at Franck in Seattle. Even the windows and portlights match.

I believe you are referring to the Heron which our friends in Petersburg ran a charter off of for many years before selling her about 4 years ago to someone in the Puget Sound area. I was always told that it was built by Vic Franck on Lake Union in Seattle.

Tator

Get a copy of his book, Yacht Designs, publisher Tiller Classics. There are several listed on abebooks.com.

Bill

Awesome stuff here, ordered the book. Thanks so much for the posts on William Garden!

That's interesting... Twin engines and a single rudder?

A very good plan IMO.
I thought of doing that to Willy. I prefer twin engines.
But it would take mods like fuel tank shape and much else to pull it off.
And now that I’m not very concerned about fuel efficiency most of the advantage to center rudder and twin props counter rotating would be maneuverability.

I can’t find who said it but unless this boat is going very slow one would need to hold on VERY tightly while backing. I can get up about 2 to 2.5 knots backing but when I apply ofer just a tad bit of rudder the force gets seriously hard to hang onto.
But w CR props backing should be easy ... w the above exception.

And like many others I’m jealous. But my small economical W30 is great.

Last edited:
I'm able to finally get through some images of last week. The more I learn about Bill Garden and this boat the more fortunate I feel

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_9735.jpg

Stunning vessel. Looks fantastic! Congratulations. I vote you keep the original "Beagle" name. I recently purchased a 50 year old boat which has kept the same name throughout all owners so I'm not going to change it.

As the owner of a Wm Garden designed boat, I share your pride in a classic design by a skilled designer who fully appreciated the Pacific waters. The W36 design was originally 34 feet long and came off Gardens drafting board in the mid 1950s, about the time your Beagle did I suppose.

My 1970 Willard 36 is hull #40, the last one built. When we purchased her in 1998, she was named "Shy Platypus," a name the PO sheepishly admitted was the result of a lost wager with his 8 year old daughter.

So we renamed her Weebles after the child's toy that wobbles but does not fall down. Great name for a full displacement boat. Except.....

We later met the long time owner of Willard Marine. He described having a friend who had a Willard built that they used to take to Baja fishing. He was so impressed with the boat that he purchased Willard Marine in the late 1970s. It was our W36 Hull #40 that he was aboard.

Our boat was originally launched as Taras (not Taurus, but Taras, some sort of Greek God). Had I known the provenance of our boat, I would have definitely restored her original name.

Long story to say that in my opinion, your boat has a soul. She was christened "Beagle" and it's high time to restore the name. A boat of this age no longer has owners, only the most current caretaker. You have little choice in the matter - destiny has intervened.

Her name is Beagle. No matter what it says on her bow flanks, her name is Beagle.

Peter

As the owner of a Wm Garden designed boat, I share your pride in a classic design by a skilled designer who fully appreciated the Pacific waters. The W36 design was originally 34 feet long and came off Gardens drafting board in the mid 1950s, about the time your Beagle did I suppose.

My 1970 Willard 36 is hull #40, the last one built. When we purchased her in 1998, she was named "Shy Platypus," a name the PO sheepishly admitted was the result of a lost wager with his 8 year old daughter.

So we renamed her Weebles after the child's toy that wobbles but does not fall down. Great name for a full displacement boat. Except.....

We later met the long time owner of Willard Marine. He described having a friend who had a Willard built that they used to take to Baja fishing. He was so impressed with the boat that he purchased Willard Marine in the late 1970s. It was our W36 Hull #40 that he was aboard.

Our boat was originally launched as Taras (not Taurus, but Taras, some sort of Greek God). Had I known the provenance of our boat, I would have definitely restored her original name.

Long story to say that in my opinion, your boat has a soul. She was christened "Beagle" and it's high time to restore the name. A boat of this age no longer has owners, only the most current caretaker. You have little choice in the matter - destiny has intervened.

Her name is Beagle. No matter what it says on her bow flanks, her name is Beagle.

Peter
Following along.. well said, lovely beautiful example Wm Garden design.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom