1000 hr service info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We are due for the 1000 hr service on our Yanmar 350. Besides what is listed in the manual, what else should I consider? I am planning to have this professionally done in order to be consistent with all engine work. Also any estimate on cost. Appreciate your thoughts and input

Adjust the remote control cable
Adjust the engine speed control cable
Clean turbo charge blower
Inspect alternator v-belt tension
Inspect inner parts of seawater pump
Inspect and adjustment of intake/exhaust valve clearance
Inspect and adjust fuel injection valve
Check and replace clutch oil
Check and replace impeller
Adjust injection pressure

We have the same boat with twins. The 1000 hour service was performed prior to our purchase when the boat had roughly 800 hours on it. The cost for both engines was $7000. If it were me, I'd budget for $4500- just a guess though.

Jeff

Thanks, that is in the ballpark of where I hope to be. Local yard is pretty good at not overcharging. A colleague suggested we could do most of the work ourselves, but when it comes to the engine I leave the heavy lifting to the pros.

I would have the tech remove the dry exhaust elbow and look in the turbo throat for corrosion. This is a known problem with this installation and is caused by a poorly designed exhaust system.

Just as important is to remove, disassemble, clean (both sides) reassemble with lots of water proof grease and new o-rings, pressure test and reinstall the after cooler. The after cooler can corrode the aluminum to bronze interface and cause the o-rings to leak sea water into the engine air intake. Do this every five years- not hour dependent.

Then maybe if there is any indication of over heating, rod any plugged tubes in the main heat exchanger, remove any zinc or impeller bits and acid flush the complete system.

This work can be expensive, probably $5,000+ combined with what you have already listed.

Not sure what you mean by changing the clutch oil and I wouldn't worry about adjusting injection pressure or adjust fuel injection valve. Not sure if the latter two are adjustable or what the fuel injection valve is but if it runs without making white smoke it is ok. Injection pumps last a long, long time and rarely need service.

Who said diesels are cheaper to maintain than gassers, although some of this stuff is sea water based and would also be required for a gasser.

David

There was extensive engine work ($5k worth) was done 3 years ago right before we bought the boat and I believe this involved the after cooler and inspection of the heat exchanger as it overheated at a sea trial causing the sale to fall through for another purchaser. Unfortunately I cannot locate the records of work completed by as it was a difficult time for the previous owner.

I purchased soon thereafter and everything was given a clean bill of health after detailed inspection and engine test. That said, I am going to have them look at things as see what needs to be addressed.

Appreciate the input on what to look for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom