10-12knt trawler? 40'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See if you can locate a Sport fish , made for comfortable ride at speed, that has an interior you can live with.

How about one of the PDQ 34s? They can do that speed economically.

Not a 40’ boat obviously, but maybe it has the room of a 40’ monohull?

Not for his budget of $150k Canadian.

See if you can locate a Sport fish , made for comfortable ride at speed, that has an interior you can live with.

That's definitely an option, as are any of the more capable motoryacht types. The biggest challenge with the budget given is finding something in good shape, with a good layout, and with diesels. Gassers would work in that size range, but the boat would have to be really cheap to make up for the much higher fuel burn (figure double on plane, 2.5 times at low speed compared to diesels in the same boat).

We've got a 41' President similar to Comodave's.
General cruise is 8-10 knots at 4-5 gph (2kmpg)
Trying to push above that gets minimal increase in speed, and exponential increase in fuel consumption.
Power: Twin Perkins 6.354M 135 horsepower naturally aspirated.

We time all our trips with the current.
Can easily hit 12-14 knots if we're going in the right direction, and still at the miserly 4-5gph / 1,700-1,800 rpm.

We've got a 41' President similar to Comodave's.
General cruise is 8-10 knots at 4-5 gph (2kmpg)
Trying to push above that gets minimal increase in speed, and exponential increase in fuel consumption.
Power: Twin Perkins 6.354M 135 horsepower naturally aspirated.

We time all our trips with the current.
Can easily hit 12-14 knots if we're going in the right direction, and still at the miserly 4-5gph / 1,700-1,800 rpm.

2 kmpg would be great. Those perkins are pretty bulletproof. Hows the parts availability
and knowledgeable service?

Haven't needed any major parts yet, but what we've needed has been readily available.
That, and the previous owner left several spares on board for when the time comes.
Water pump, injectors, alternator, gaskets, thermostats...none of which have been needed since we're at 3,800 hours and counting.
We've only been hauled once here since we bought Otter and had the transmissions refurbished and heat exchangers rodded out by a local (La Conner Maritime) marine repair service.

I should mention the emphasis of timing our trips with the current.
We're easily down around 6-7 knots if we're bucking it the whole way. :(
The above is remedied with a bit of a push forward on the throttles, but then we're up on the fuel consumption proportionally.

Last edited:
My Mainship 400 can do 12Kts at 2400 rpm but cruising is typically 8-9 kts. Burn about 5gal / hr at 8kts but don't want to even know what WOT is burning. Mainship 400 goes on the market on Monday....time for a downsize!

My Mainship 400 can do 12Kts at 2400 rpm but cruising is typically 8-9 kts. Burn about 5gal / hr at 8kts but don't want to even know what WOT is burning. Mainship 400 goes on the market on Monday....time for a downsize!

Where is ot located? And what year is it?

Mainship 400 is located in Fort Pierce Florida. If you would like more information give me a call. Kim Dabe 513-310-1462

my 2 cents

Hi, we just sold our bayliner 3288 and are looking for something bigger.

Its about 35 nautical miles to cross the straight from our dock . With currents... 7-8 knots would be too slow.. just for the crossing, after work on a Friday for example..

40' 10-12knts economical cruise speed.. 1 Walk-around bed and another separate guest area for 2 adults. Upper helm. (Lower helm not necessarily needed).

Considering a 2000 bayliner 3788..or older 3988.. may not be a big enough.. and may not be suited to 8 knot long haul trips that we enjoy when there are no time constraints. I know the 3988 is not great at slow speeds. Don't care for the 38xx series bayliners..

Cruising area.. pacific northwest.

Budget.. tight... 150,000 cad.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

our 40+2 ocean yachts trawler cruised at an honest 10 kts at 2,000 rpm on a pair of perkins 160hp turbo diesels. rare boat, but really fun, there must be others out there which will perform similarly

40' 10-12knts economical cruise speed..

Any planing hull will not be efficient at that speed.
I think all the boats mentioned thus far have a planing hull w a big keel. Their angle of attack trimmed weight wise will be too high. It could be done w a straight run aft but only w a very light and narrow boat.

A SD hull designed for the speed required is the only hull that will do what the OP wants. The amount of rocker to the bottom of the hull and it’s location (fore-aft) is the key. I think all the boats mentioned have no rocker. I know the NT 32 has some rocker and perhaps the larger ones do too but I don’t know.

It’s easy to find the light boat part. Find that first then look for the correct amount of rocker ... the convexness of the hull lines fore and aft.

Also any boat w twin FL’s or equiv Perkins will burn a minimum of 5gph. Unless your into underloading and you won’t get 12 knots underloaded.

That’s my scope on it and could be wrong (of course) but not by much.

Last edited:
Mainship 400 is located in Fort Pierce Florida. If you would like more information give me a call. Kim Dabe 513-310-1462

Thats a nice boat but I'm in Vancouver BC. It would be a fun trip around though!

Looks like we found the right boat. 8 knts 2.5 gph
Top speed 20+knts
Bayliner 4087. 2001
Twin cummins 330.
Survey pending.

Thanks for all the input

Joe, that is a nice looking boat. Richmond? Must have just come on market or you would have found it sooner. I would not be disappointed at 2.5 GPH per engine @ 8 knots

Top speed 20+knts
Bayliner 4087. 2001
Twin cummins 330.
Survey pending.

Thanks for all the input

Yes, the Market here is crazy for any boat in good shape. If it isn't sold, it's got something wrong or incredibly overpriced. Most good boats have an offer the day of listing or within a week. Hope the survey goes well!

(Didn't see the OP's last post until after I posted this. Oh well...never mind).

The Ocean Alexander 440 has an Ed Monk Jr. hull that he characterizes as Semi Displacement. They're in the range of $150K these days. Ours makes 17+ knots flat out with a fairly heavy dinghy and full fuel load pushing down at the stern (takes trim tab to get it solidly on "semi-plane" which is right about 12 Kts). Roughly 2200 engine rpm and total fuel burn about 9.5 gph. Roughly 200 total HP required per the prop charts for the engines. Fuel burn at 8.5knots is about 5 gph.

Here's a photo of the bottom. Difficult to see with the flat black paint,but the hull does curve gently upward toward the stern from around the midships point. It also has the double chine cutout which reduces wetted surface as the hull lifts, and has the additional effect of a"soft chine". This boat was originally imported by Irwin Yachts in Portland and later arrived in the Great Lakes via truck.

IMG_0077 (2).jpg

boat xport4.jpg

DSCN1747 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Those are nice, one just showed up here for sale., 1990 229,000 cad$

Top speed 20+knts
Bayliner 4087. 2001
Twin cummins 330.
Survey pending.

Thanks for all the input

GREAT boat. Congratulations!