Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 178
Also, anyone know what it would cost to have entire outside of hull soda blasted?
__________________
Advertisement

Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #22
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
A comment about older Volvo outdrives... they had a HUGE corrosion issues, even in fresh water, but deadly in salt. Big lawsuits, etc. Probably some 20+ years ago. I got involved when I bought a boat from a guy that spend 25K on new Volvos drives because of this and Volvo did not treat him well. I benefitted with the new drives, but they (and the Volvo engines) were still a POS. I would have that boat today if it wasn't for Volvo. Should have got the Mercs. Formula 31PC..... great boat.
I had a Merc Bravo III. I can assure you they had every bit as bad metallurgy as Volvo. Mine was replaced after two seasons, had to fight tooth and nail to get Merc to accept the blame. Every year they'd hang more anodes on those things, and they couldn't survive without active cathodic protection. But I guess they don't worry about salt water corrosion in Stillwater, OK.

Not that I'm a huge Volvo fan, but I'll certainly never own another Mercury outdrive.

And slang for the ocean bottom? Did you try Davy Jones' Locker? Just a thought.
__________________

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I had a Merc Bravo III. I can assure you they had every bit as bad metallurgy as Volvo. Mine was replaced after two seasons, had to fight tooth and nail to get Merc to accept the blame. Every year they'd hang more anodes on those things, and they couldn't survive without active cathodic protection. But I guess they don't worry about salt water corrosion in Stillwater, OK.

Not that I'm a huge Volvo fan, but I'll certainly never own another Mercury outdrive.

And slang for the ocean bottom? Did you try Davy Jones' Locker? Just a thought.
I was hoping to never own another outdrive at all, but there must be a benefit of them right? Shallow water?
At least with little Isuzuís they wonít be over powered.

I tried Davy Jones locker and various combos of that. Also tried sea bed, bed, floor, sea floor, seabed, ..... I canít think really of ANY slang term for ocean bottom. There just isnít one. So stupid. How did anyone join that forum?!
Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Jay N's Avatar
 
City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 468
muck?
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #25
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,340
"If faced with drive issues like that I’d probably repower with outboards instead."


Plan B might be a rebuild , or plan C Craigs list, still cheaper than outboards.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #26
Guru
 
City: Port Canaveral
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,927
Outboards aren't a bad idea. This is a river boat and let's assume the OP has intentions for slow speed. The OP is an experienced aluminum (pronounced al-oo-min-ee'-um) welder. Sell off the diesels. Fabricate two outboard brackets. A couple of Mercury Big Foot 60hp should push it along at a nice 8 knots.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #27
Guru
 
Vashon_Trawler's Avatar
 
City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Outboards aren't a bad idea. This is a river boat and let's assume the OP has intentions for slow speed. The OP is an experienced aluminum (pronounced al-oo-min-ee'-um) welder. Sell off the diesels. Fabricate two outboard brackets. A couple of Mercury Big Foot 60hp should push it along at a nice 8 knots.

This sounds like a good idea. I was just looking at the Yamaha T60 high thrust outboards--these should work well too.
__________________
ďGo small, go simple, go nowĒ
― Larry Pardey, Cruising in Seraffyn
Vashon_Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #28
Guru
 
City: Port Canaveral
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
This sounds like a good idea. I was just looking at the Yamaha T60 high thrust outboards--these should work well too.
Perhaps those T60's are like my Bigfoot. Bigger gear ratio. Larger prop. More torque. Better performance for heavier slower boats versus high speed planing types.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
City: SW Alberta
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Word View Post
I was hoping to never own another outdrive at all, but there must be a benefit of them right? Shallow water?
At least with little Isuzuís they wonít be over powered.

I tried Davy Jones locker and various combos of that. Also tried sea bed, bed, floor, sea floor, seabed, ..... I canít think really of ANY slang term for ocean bottom. There just isnít one. So stupid. How did anyone join that forum?!
Surely there must be an alternate question if you get it wrong? I don't recall such a difficulty joining a few years ago.
Graveyard?
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman View Post
Surely there must be an alternate question if you get it wrong? I don't recall such a difficulty joining a few years ago.
Graveyard?
I dunno? Iíll try that but that seems like a stretch to me. It clearly says the security bot question wrong, and even kicks me off after 5 tries. Just says ďtry again laterĒ. They must have enough members. I also couldnít find an admin to write email to either. Hey since youíre a member, and if itís not too much trouble, maybe you could post about it or email an admin and ask? Iím out of options.
Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
City: SW Alberta
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Word View Post
I dunno? Iíll try that but that seems like a stretch to me. It clearly says the security bot question wrong, and even kicks me off after 5 tries. Just says ďtry again laterĒ. They must have enough members. I also couldnít find an admin to write email to either. Hey since youíre a member, and if itís not too much trouble, maybe you could post about it or email an admin and ask? Iím out of options.
I'll see what I can do.
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
City: SW Alberta
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 149
I emailed one of the admins for you. I'll let you know the response.
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 178
Thank you!
Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #34
Guru
 
refugio's Avatar
 
City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,273
I had a large berth in the pilot house of my previous boat. Absolutely loved it under way, at rest, sleeping - best place on the boat.
__________________
Keith
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #35
Guru
 
refugio's Avatar
 
City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,273
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	87352
__________________
Keith
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #36
Guru
 
refugio's Avatar
 
City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,273
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4490.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	87357
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	87358
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	87359
__________________
Keith
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
City: SW Alberta
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Word View Post
Thank you!


From the admin...

Try "Davey's locker".


leeman
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 178
I swear I tried that.
And it should be Davy’s locker shouldn’t it?

Just tried it and 4 variations and it doesn’t work. Harumphf

Wow okay I just got it, it’s Davy Jones locker, which I swear I tried but this time it worked. Thanks.

The fact that the admin couldn’t even tell you the correct answer is proof that the question is a bad one lol.
Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #39
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,645
I'm just guessing that this is a $20,000 to $30,000 dollar boat. Probably lower would be most appropriate. Remember you won't be able to get financing so it will have to be cash. Insurance could be an issue also.

Pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I'm just guessing that this is a $20,000 to $30,000 dollar boat. Probably lower would be most appropriate. Remember you won't be able to get financing so it will have to be cash. Insurance could be an issue also.

Pete
I donít finance toys anymore. I just find cheaper toys. Why would insurance be difficult? Because home built? Iíve never insured a boat before.
__________________

Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×