“Gold lettering” for name on transom board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
The attached picture shows the name on one of our navigation lights. I used to know what this type of lettering is called but I’m having a senior moment. I do remember reading not long ago that truly painting on this type of lettering is a dying art (not surprising) but that computer generation decals are a pretty good imitation and from a few yards away one can’t really tell the difference.

Have any of you gone the route of having this type decal made and if so and we’re pleased, would you mind sharing where you had them made? Lastly along with my thanks in advance, if you are willing to post a picture of what yours looks like I would love to see and I’m sure other readers would as well.

Attachments

• AA559B02-237D-478F-AFA8-DE50D8EBCC3E.jpg
    AA559B02-237D-478F-AFA8-DE50D8EBCC3E.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 23
Most vinyl places can do a 'gold' finish. Either a flake or machine-turned look. It's hard to tell from that picture but it kinda looks like the 'turned' variety.

It is really easy to do. Go to my blog, grandbankschoices, and dig around and see how it is done.

Basically you go to a sign shop and get a multi-layered stencil of the name. I used gold leaf with black outline. Real gold leaf, or silver, or copper.

Vinyl fades quickly. I did both mine and the stern over a weekend.

Hardest part is sanding the boards.

PM with questions.

Boat US did these. Excuse the mess. Currently in for a coat of varnish.

Attachments

• 7A3CD5C4-C3A4-4075-A4B7-48CD6DE04317.jpg
    7A3CD5C4-C3A4-4075-A4B7-48CD6DE04317.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 17
Lastly along with my thanks in advance, if you are willing to post a picture of what yours looks like I would love to see and I’m sure other readers would as well.
I had mine done at Graphix in Pt. Loma, CA . (It's actual gold leaf) Tom Nutter is the owner and is well educated on all things "Graphic."

Attachments

• SeaHorse II.jpg
    SeaHorse II.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 21
Gold Leaf is correct, it's the normal lettering on fire trucks and ambulances and it has been on every piece of equipment in the fire station I worked in.

Back
Top Bottom