$30k 42 Krogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would LOVE to see inside pics! May be the deal of a lifetime . . . or maybe the endless hole for money . . . hard to tell.

FWIW, looks like the boat is at Herrington Harbor North marina in Deale, MD.

Nice place, several on-site contractors and so forth... wouldn't be a bad place to restore a boat, if it's possible.

-Chris

I recall a KK42 project boat for sale a few years ago down in SW Florida. Inheritance sale. The guy admitted that the entire bottom needed to be peeled and reglassed, which he said was about $50k. So now you're at 25k+50k=75k without even putting a coat of wax on it.

Too bad this one in Annapolis is a twin. Strange actually. Buying 2 new engines costs a lot more than just one.

You have to make big, generous assumptions when it comes to project boats. I can see easily having $150k+ invested in this boat once you're done. How much does it cost to buy one that is in good shape today??

Get a good yard crew and techs, the boat can be in the water and running good in maybe 2-3 months. Cost be daymned.
Scheduling is of primary importance.

Keep in mind that hull will be cored below the waterline.

Ken

Photos are free on Craigslist so the fact they have no others posted and no details says a lot. As someone who has purchase 2 boats if similar vintage I agree with others that many will underestimate costs even if you do much of the work yourself.

But I would love to see someone rescue this boat and bring her back to life! I hope one of the TF members in the area can go check her out an post an update.

Or, just stop the leaks, plop it in the water and liveaboard a salty boat vs. a tennis shoe or houseboat ;)

Hell, I'll give a few hundred to you for some very specific Krogen hardware!

Sure it does.

It’s more likely that the seller knows his boat is a disaster money pit than that he’s stuck in the 1970’s and thinks his boat is only worth $30k when in reality it is worth $200k.

However it doesn’t hurt for the OP to go view the boat and learn first hand.

If it was really worth $200k it wouldn't still be for sale at $30k.

Could be an estate sale or the owner is in failing health or is just tired of owning the boat and wants $30 for a trip around the world.

Of course, being on the hard for a long period can mask a wet hull.

Sure it does.

It’s more likely that the seller knows his boat is a disaster money pit than that he’s stuck in the 1970’s and thinks his boat is only worth $30k when in reality it is worth $200k.

However it doesn’t hurt for the OP to go view the boat and learn first hand.

Quite an assumptive leap... Obviously the boat has issues..maybe totally unrelated to Core

It has replacement aluminum windows instead of teak framed ones. So at one point someone ponied up some cash.

This boat used to be berthed at our marina (we moved recently), Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville, MD. The marina asked the owner to move the boat elsewhere because they were afraid it might sink in its slip. A year or two ago, there was a thread on this forum discussing this same boat so I went over to the next pier to takes some pics to post. The exterior is a total mess. All, and I mean all, of the exterior teak needs a ton of work. If the outside is any indication of its overall condition, this boat would be a risk even at $10,000. If I recall correctly, the owner was offered $20,000 which he refused. The boat had been at its berth in Galesville for the three years we were there. It has been on the hard for maybe two years at Herrington Harbor. I'd say this owner should have taken the twenty grand and run to the bank. I'd hazard a guess that very few would even bother going inside after seeing the exterior. There is a reason that the owner posted only a couple of pics on Craigslist.

I sent the following email:

Hi
Were the engines in working order when she was shrink wrapped ?
When were they last run?
How long has she been out of the water?

Thanks.

And got the following response:

The engines we’re working when we pulled her last year. She’s been out of the water 15 mos or so

Catalina Jack thanks for posting that info. Every boat has a story and that one is not good. Probably not a bargain even if free. It is very difficult and expensive to save a boat that is so far gone. It is probably on Craigslist because no broker will touch it.

Unfortunately with many older boats the best a seller can hope for is to stop the ongoing expenses

Project boats have everything to do with the skills of the buyer. If you need to pay some one else to do any of the work, it’s a bad buy. If you can do all the work your self then you might come out ahead but only if your time has no value.

My wife has never found a boat that met here tastes. For that reason I buy cosmetic nightmares. No mater what I buy I know I am replacing all the furnishings, flooring, appliances, electronics, canvas, etc. I look for boats that have all the amenities like stabilizers, watermaker, heat, AC. The more in non working function the better. Replacing is cheaper than first installs. In the end she gets the boat she wants and I save money. However, It is usually cheaper to find a boat that’s right than to fix up a project.

I'd say this owner should have taken the twenty grand and run to the bank. I'd hazard a guess that very few would even bother going inside after seeing the exterior.

Sad truth is that all boats' lives come to an end eventually. Time to send it to the scrapyard. If it had been well cared for by all previous owners then it could have lived on for another few decades, but that did not happen in this case.

the Craig's list posting was deleted by the author. I guess he sold it.
Not likely. I sent him a message asking for more pictures. No response. I wouldn't take this boat for free. He said the 3ngines were in running condition when put up. Nope. It was towed there.

Not likely. I sent him a message asking for more pictures. No response. I wouldn't take this boat for free. He said the 3ngines were in running condition when put up. Nope. It was towed there.

Even if they were running, "running" doesn't mean they can run for more than a few minutes without overheating, or that the transmissions work, or steering, or a whole host of other things needed to actually use the engines to move the boat.

Unless one knows the reason for the tow, we have no idea why it was towed there.

I towed vessels for many reasons. All it takes is money.

Could be an estate sale or the owner is in failing health or is just tired of owning the boat and wants $30 for a trip around the world.

Of course, being on the hard for a long period can mask a wet hull.

Costs more than $30,000 to go on a round the world cruise, more like $50,000 + with ship and added cost. Ask me how I KNOW.

Unless one knows the reason for the tow, we have no idea why it was towed there.

I towed vessels for many reasons. All it takes is money.
Correct, but given the condition of this vessel who is willing to bet ten bucks that the engines run. So, if as the owner asserted that the engines were in running condition, what prevented him from moving the boat on its own power? Bad transmissions? All speculation here, including mine but I have seen this boat up close. It is a wreck.

"So, if as the owner asserted that the engines were in running condition, what prevented him from moving the boat on its own power?"

Engines might have been winterized and the boat covered in shrink wrap?

"So, if as the owner asserted that the engines were in running condition, what prevented him from moving the boat on its own power?"

Engines might have been winterized and the boat covered in shrink wrap?

Sure, I can envision lots of reasons.... first thing came to my mind was steering failure.

As far as the boat being a wreck, how many threads have started discussing starting 5-10 year old yard engines and half the advice is crank'em up, mine were fine.

Yep, lotsa running boats get towed.

Running and trustworthy are 2 different things too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom