Old 08-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

Cruising a 50-60' boat in Europe

We are in the process of looking for a ocean going trawler that we would like to use to tour Europe.* How easy is it to navigate around the Med and the costs involved? * We would also be interested in using the boat to navigate around Great Britain and Ireland so does anyone have input on that area as well?* Are their any rivers that a boat that size would be able to navigate from the English Channel or Baltic Sea to the Med?*
rostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
RE: Cruising a 50-60' boat in Europe

You might find the following of interest. We had a friend accompany Tony partway to Iceland, she had great time.

http://www.flemingyachts.com/venture2/index.html
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #3

City: Oslo
Vessel Name: Southern Promise MMSI 258170360
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 55 Mk1
RE: Cruising a 50-60' boat in Europe

There are several canals from the English Channel to the western Med. None of these will take a motor boat of any size. Air draft will be a problems as bridges are as low as 3 meter / 10 feet.

The only alternative I could think of would be to enter a canal system in*Baltic*Germany or Poland and from there connect to the Donau. The Donau flows into the Black Sea. Heading west, the distance from Romenia to the Gib is 2000+ nautical miles.
r-rossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

City: spain
I have a c and l searanger 51 and we cruise the greek islands. We are based in gouvia marina corfu island. Ionian sea. The greek gov. have introduced a cruising tax from Jan. 1 2014 €100 per metre per year over 12 metres.
Still its a great place to cruise.
Ivor
chefivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
That cruising ground is hard to beat. I suppose the Greeks are going to be collecting money wherever they can find an excuse to. No big deal if you're 13 metres or so, but the last time I was in the Islands, there were gobs of 30 metre plus yachts in Greek harbors. Come to think of it, I suppose most of those belong to boaters that couldn't care less about another 5 grand or so in taxes.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-rossow View Post
There are several canals from the English Channel to the western Med. None of these will take a motor boat of any size. Air draft will be a problems as bridges are as low as 3 meter / 10 feet.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Akureyri
Vessel Name: Ozimo IV
Vessel Model: 18m Gulet
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-rossow View Post
The only alternative I could think of would be to enter a canal system in*Baltic*Germany or Poland and from there connect to the Donau. The Donau flows into the Black Sea. Heading west, the distance from Romenia to the Gib is 2000+ nautical miles.
But you will be safe - a version of the EU inside passage.

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Akureyri
Vessel Name: Ozimo IV
Vessel Model: 18m Gulet
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
That cruising ground is hard to beat. I suppose the Greeks are going to be collecting money wherever they can find an excuse to. No big deal if you're 13 metres or so, but the last time I was in the Islands, there were gobs of 30 metre plus yachts in Greek harbors. Come to think of it, I suppose most of those belong to boaters that couldn't care less about another 5 grand or so in taxes.
Not gonna pay if I don't anchor or buy fuel there.

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: brisbane
These people took 50ft diesel duck across Europe through rivers/canals all the way to Turkey. I think they had to take the mast off but apart from that they managed to get under everything. http://www.mydoramac.com
marcoh is offline   Reply With Quote