To which continent to retire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, what a wonderful bunch of comments.
Almost makes everyplace sound appealing.
I was thinking my honest answer is the next place. Ohm I stick around some places for a while, but I'll get tired of Heaven one day I'm sure, and then you know where I'll end up. (Thank you Lee Marvin).

Pac NW, B.C. SE AK will be next up, then NE Asia and finally SE Asia, hopefully by then Vietnam will be far easier on boats).

I would love to talk to someone who will be going to Japan and S. Korea in the coming years.

But I am already thinking of what's next after Asia. I am still fascinated by the Baltic, Sweden, Norway, Scotland and Ireland. Actually I usually don't want to return to most places.

Last edited:
Pac NW, B.C. SE AK will be next up...

As you go by our territory you might want to veer off the Inside Passage treadmill and check out; Oyacumish River, Kitlope River, Foch Lagoon, McMicking Inlet, etc...

As you go by our territory you might want to veer off the Inside Passage treadmill and check out; Oyacumish River, Kitlope River, Foch Lagoon, McMicking Inlet, etc...

Wifey B: Your area and Alaska are beautiful, but too freaking cold for me. :(

For those thinking of the Caribbean a couple of negatives. In the Eastern Caribbean the English speaking islands have security concerns. Differs from island to island but it is a definite concern. Homeowners/renters frequently maintain 24 hour security guards to protect their property.

Medical care is another issue. A retired person / couple has a greater need of medical care than a 40 year old. Medical Care on the English speaking islands is not up to North American/European/Australian standards.

The French islands are better with both security and health care. These are departments of France (broadly similar to US states/Canadian provinces) and the national government is directly involved with the health care and the security.

Another factor for the Eastern Caribbean island is the difficulty in buying many items, many things are just not carried and thus must be imported when wanted at high cost of shipping, duty and taxes.

Weather is great, the islands are beautiful. The boating community is of significant size but the land based full time expats are much fewer.

Wifey B: I think your post points out a lot of things on which this imaginary move would be based. It's imaginary so we imaging working all those things out. Health and age are huge factors. Finances are as well.

The grass is always greener over the septic tank but not until you get close do you smell it.

A lot of places would be great for a while, but then you'd miss things.

I hear people talk here and elsewhere about going back to the way thing were in the 50's or 60's. Well, they weren't for me because I wasn't born. But you guys who were remember an idyllic existence that wasn't. If you did go back, you'd suddenly realize how many things you take for granted that didn't exist then.

It's like owning a private island in the Bahamas. First, figure just the cost bo build anything and then have your own utilities. The quiet would be great perhaps but for how long. I'd be coming across to the US constantly for things my island didn't have. If you were older I'd think a helicopter and pilots for medical transport.

I think of places that are relaxing and move slow. Well, can someone use to moving fast cope? Can a person use to getting things done adjust to those who are in no hurry?

We chose where we live. Could have been anywhere in the world. However, this is our paradise, our Xanadu, our Camelot, our Nirvana. It's where our life is perfect, it's where our family and friends are. Is it perfect? Well, it's like looking at each other, we don't see any imperfections as we love it here. Would we feel the same if we were just getting started, trying to struggle and find jobs and build a career? I have no idea. What if's are all guesswork.

Medical makes me think. We have some older people with us and we've examined it. Not the best. Oh, if it was eye issues, Miami is the place to go. But what if other major conditions? Maybe it's just our prejudice but we'd go to a major center for that condition and they're not in South Florida. Perhaps Shands at U of FL for some, but most we'd feel better at Duke or in NY at Columbia/Presby or U of Pittsburgh Mayo MN, not FL, or Johns Hopkins or Brigham and Womens/Harvard.

So, it's still tradeoff's wherever you are.

History lesson time. A few decades ago, people with kids with major allergy problems were flocking to Arizona. For some allergies, the dry desert with the lack of pollen and growth was great. (Hubby's backwards, his allergies to best with the moist salt air). But then....yes, then. Idiots moved there and then missed grass and plants and what did they do? Started planting the stuff. All the stuff they moved to get away from. Oh, and then genetics. You bring kids with allergy problems, they marry other kids with allergy problems, they then have kids who marry the kids of other kids with allergy problems. Suddenly you've done genetic engineering of the worst kind. So, today, the same areas have some of the highest allergy rates in the country.

So, find the place you love just as it is. Don't go in thinking it's going to be anything it isn't. I see all those who live in and love the PNW. If one does, then I absolutely would never advise them to move elsewhere. I loved it short term, but long term, I'd find it depressing. I'd miss the sunshine and warmth.

It's even more complicated than boat shopping, almost up with anchor selection. :rofl:

I'd say be happy where you are and if you're not, then find somewhere you can be. But if life today is wonderful, marvelous, fantastic, then don't fix what ain't broken. :D

Think attitudes too. Like Australia. Now, we'd fit in well with all the Aussie's. But if you're uptight button down, close minded, I wouldn't suggest it. And don't evaluate on what it's like to vacation somewhere, figure out how it is to live there. Then if you don't know where you want to live, there's one very simple solution.....drum roll please. :)

Move on to a boat and then the world is yours. :thumb:

I would love to talk to someone who will be going to Japan and S. Korea in the coming years.

Are you looking for crew?

My middle son likes to go to Japan or S Korea every summer. Last summer he purchased a round trip ticket to Tokyo, no hotel or rental car. I dropped him off at the airport with a daypack and $600 US to his name, picked him up 16 days later and he had the time of his life.

Last edited:
Monaco---if you can afford it. Moderate climate and a tax haven.

They do not accept trawlers owners, we are looking too cheap when docking aside a 120 feet yatch :D

120 ft yachts look cheap to them. We have a friend who had never been on a boat under 200' until ours. Then her parents visited and her father went with his granddaughter on her 52' Riva and compared it to tenders he'd been on.

Wifey and I hate cold weather so we'll probably stay somewhere on the Gulf Coast. We have kicked around the idea of moving to Saint Martin. We Love that place.

Kevin

Anything tropical is out of the question. Places like Colombia have been hostile to my well-being/health. High heat and humidity are my nemesis. A temperate climate with low humidity and without extreme temperatures suits me....

If, by your statement above, you are saying that Colombia is hostile to you because of "High heat and humidity" then it's obvious that you have not traveled to many areas of Colombia. Colombia is about as diverse as it gets when it comes to having a variety of climates to choose from. You want snow? Colombia has it. You want a perfect temperate climate without high humidity? Colombia has some of the most desirable climates in the world. You want "High heat and humidity"? You can have that too.

I live, and have lived for the past ten years, in one of the most desirable climates in Colombia... Elevation 2150 meters (7000 ft), basically at the foothills of the Andes mountain range. Daily I'm able to enjoy golfing, riding my mountain bike, boating/fishing, flying RC planes and these are just a small portion of the activities I'm able to enjoy here without breaking a sweat because of "High heat and humidity", not to mention I can do all of these activities pretty much daily due to the fact that Colombia is so close to the equator we don't have the big seasonal swings like you do up in North America. It's wonderful here all year long... They call this area land of eternal spring for a reason.

So, that all being said, me thinks you need to visit more than one area of Colombia (If I were to guess I would say you went either to Cartagena or Leticia, Amazonas where you found the "High heat and humidity" you mention in your comment above.

As far as addressing the op's inquiry, I would say that you should be concerned about the level, and availably, of excellent medical care of the country you ultimately choose to retire in. IMHO this should be a priority for you, especially at retirement age.

For what it's worth, Colombia has some of the best medical care in the world and as a foreigner, with a resident visa, I can say that my access and the level of care I receive in Colombia is on par or better than I ever received while I was living in the United States (my place of birth), not to mention it's one third of the cost of the U.S. if paying direst for services (NOTE: My monthly health insurance cost... about $150 USD, is cheap cheap cheap as compared to what I would have to pay if I were living in the U.S.) And if that isn't cheap enough for you there is an option where you can pay as little as $31 USD per month for health insurance (if you don't mind waiting a bit to see your doctor).

Last edited:
I was thinking in terms of a boat at sea level, not on a high mountain.

When they end up all over the country and all over the world, you got a problem....unless you like frequent flyer miles.

My son just took a job a few months ago with American Airlines. He is a financial analyst and while he really doesn't like the work, he decided that he liked the flight benefits. As his parents, we can fly for next to nothing on any American flight, but it is flying standby. Not bad if you have no schedule and no time table (kind of like cruising?). We have used that perk once, to fly to Dallas to visit him.

My son just took a job a few months ago with American Airlines. He is a financial analyst and while he really doesn't like the work, he decided that he liked the flight benefits. As his parents, we can fly for next to nothing on any American flight, but it is flying standby. Not bad if you have no schedule and no time table (kind of like cruising?). We have used that perk once, to fly to Dallas to visit him.

Would you like to adopt me? :lol:

By the comments here I feel so lucky to be living where I am .I'm already living the dream and don't know it :facepalm:

By the comments here I feel so lucky to be living where I am .I'm already living the dream and don't know it :facepalm:

Like you we are living the dream, just the dream can be better with $0.75c/L diesel, $25/day labour and $2 cocktails.

From the previous posts here everyone has their own favourites.
We moved from Ireland because the only certain thing about the weather is its uncertainty, however it still is Gods own country and the people there are fabulous.
Of course it all depends on your style of boating.
The Greek Islands, Turkey and Cyprus were contenders but problems there with mass illegal immigration, unstable politics and currencies struck them off our list.
We chose Narbonne in the South of France for our retirement in the sun because of its micro climate, unique strategic position, access to the whole of the European canal system (see Windmills & Wine) Mediterranean sea, airports for world travel, 5 minutes from the AutoRoute and high speed trains. The French health system is excellent and is a consideration as we get older and gravity starts to take over.
Andorra for ski-ing is 2 hours by car, the Spanish border for cheap dental work is just 40 minutes away so for us Narbonne ticks all the boxes.
Of course living in a gastronomic country & the largest vineyard in the world have nothing to do with it, and if you believe that, you still believe in Santa Claus.

Last edited:
Umm, what a wonderful bunch of comments.

But I am already thinking of what's next after Asia. I am still fascinated by the Baltic, Sweden, Norway, Scotland and Ireland. Actually I usually don't want to return to most places.

Hello and welcome again to the Baltic Sea and Scandinavia:flowers:.

I've read your blog and I saw your guests fast here. I'm sorry, the boat got a little touch on the ground in Finland, here when you're cruising, you have to be really careful when navigating.

Here in the archipelago of Sweden and Finland there are still plenty of comfortable places to explore. I understand your limited time to visit here last and your choice to visit. Norway is also great places, but very rainy vs Sweden / Finland due to the Atlantic / North Sea. If you' re come back, the best time to visit here is June to august, then here it is warm enough (20-25C°),

I like April to June, then there are few people to move, a bit colder, it is spring and the birds move here to nest and all the plants awaken from winter. And day lights is long now to day 15h 41 minutes and In June it is bright for almost 24 hours for a moment.

Last edited:
I can support North Baltic seas post.
As a young man in the army I did my arctic warfare training both in Canada and Norway,both are wonderful with warm friendly people and the girls are simply stunning.
Later in life our family company did quite a bit of sub contracting up around the Baltic region.
The only problem for me as a choice for retirement is the dark, cold long winters and high cost of living.
In the summer it is without doubt a very beautiful place.
We all have our favourite places as to where we love most, I'm biased regarding Scotland and Ireland.
For a tiny taste of Ireland read 'Ireland to the Mediterranean Part 1' here on TF in Voyagers and boaters on the go.
As I said in a previous post the warm Mediterranean climate and diet suit me best in retirement.

Last edited:
They do not accept trawlers owners, we are looking too cheap when docking aside a 120 feet yatch :D

Wrong statement. Behave conventional wisdom.

There are two marinas in Monaco : Port Hercules right in Monte-Carlo, & Port Fontvielle Marina at walking distance (1 mille) from Monte-Carlo. Both welcome trawlers no matter the size. There are 3 Grand Banks (42 & 50) & other recreational trawlers moored year-round there.

The two harbor master's offices have both extensive knowledge and provides a full range of efficient services to clients of both marinas 24 / 7 year-round. They usually send two people on a rib to help docking, four people with 2 ribs when strong wind.

They do everything possible for visitors to facilitate access to high-quality and safe services of the marinas, they take to heart to ensure any need and suggestion, once again no matter the size of the boat. A marine electrician from harbor master is available 24/24 for free to connect shore power and fresh water to the pole. Docks are very clean, WIFI is working just perfect. Also the close mega yachts' crew are ready to kindly help docking if any help needed, always interesting to chat with them. We even have been invited to have a drink aboard some amazing yachts.

Etiquette is easy : Perfect peaceful enjoyment for all, just normal boating sounds, no loud party, great socialization. People there show respect for others, they just expect the same in return.

The weekly / monthly visitor's fees are less than in Sag Harbor NY (sorry dearest Nancy, you know I love your beautiful marina) or Marina Del Rey CA.

It's not my favorite place to retire for the reason Lutin's homeport is 15 nautical miles South West from Monaco but since 2 years we moored many times in both marinas there, for nights or weeks, numerous times with our previous boats, had never a problem to get a berth, always very friendly welcomed. Once the boat is registered in their data, a single phone call is fine to book a berth. What could be easier ?

In Port Hercules Monte-Carlo, they usually put us in front of the Yacht Club of Monaco - my favorite place, or if in Fontvielle, at the bottom of the rock of Prince's palace , another favorite place which is stunning.

Yes, "I can provide actual evidence to support it however" : photos attached, moored in Port Hercules Monte-Carlo, & at night at the bottom of the rock of Prince's palace.

Attachments

• Img_3050.jpg
    Img_3050.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Img_3049.jpg
    Img_3049.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Img_3048.jpg
    Img_3048.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Img_3047.jpg
    Img_3047.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Img_3044.jpg
    Img_3044.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Img_3042.jpg
    Img_3042.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Image31.jpg
    Image31.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Img_4962.jpg
    Img_4962.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
OMC

Definitely on the list of places we want to go. As to retire, would have to be a bit away from Monaco. Close enough to visit would be nice of course.

I can confirm Oliver's post and add that its not as expensive as you might think.
Depending on your banking arrangements you also may find it very useful to stay there.

I can confirm Oliver's post and add that its not as expensive as you might think.
Depending on your banking arrangements you also may find it very useful to stay there.

We've never boated in Europe, barely even been there, just a college choir tour and business. Look forward to it in a couple or three years. Antibes is another place we really want to visit.

B&B,
If you need any help just holler and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction.
As I explained in an earlier post if you read 'Windmills and Wine' in 'Voyagers and boaters on the go' here on TF it will give you some pointers from a European inland waterways angle.
We cruise fairly regularly from France down to Spain.
Oliver is on the Med coast towards the Italian side and he'll help you in that direction..

Last edited:
I had travelled extensively around Europe since my early 20's, but never boated there until fairly recently when a good friend retired in the south of France with a Lagoon catamaran.
We cruised with them numerous times over the past 5 years and I'm very pleasantly surprised at what Mediterranean cruising has to offer.

So far we have only seen the areas around the coast of Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey but I am certainly impressed.
The water is much cleaner than I expected; the facilities are great; people always are friendly, prices reasonable and food fantastic. It does get more crowded than what I am used to, but that could be said about almost anywhere else in the world. We were still sometimes able to find quiet little bays where we could anchor on our own in Greece and Turkey. I'd love to see the some of northern Europe as well.

I'd recommend European cruising to anyone who hasn't left there home cruising ground. Get out there and see the world.

Europe would be my first and likely only choice. We love touring Europe and to combine it with boating (at least on the major rivers) would be a joy. Only if we ignore the cost does it make sense as the period of time we could stay in the EU is limited for tax reasons. Shipping it both ways for a limited period of time is an extravagance. Given Bay Pelican is a North American electrical boat she could likely not be sold in Europe.

I had an uncle and aunt who ended up buying a river barge and used for a couple years in Europe. Their son and his family live in The Netherlands and it gave them a great base to cruise from. They loved it. After a couple years, they sold it and bought another sailboat in the Annapolis area.

Western Europe isn't expensive compared to the USA. Certain areas do have unreasonable prices, however, like alcoholic beverages in Denmark and restaurant meals in Switzerland. The Czech Republic (beer cheaper than bottled water) and Austria (meals are one-third the cost) are the opposite.

Last edited:
Easy! 6 summer month in BC, 6 winter month in portugal. You should have great cruises but you need 2 boats or a passage maker ! :)

That's funny. About the 6 months of summer I mean. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom