Wooden Boat Festival 2019 - Port Townsend, WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
So one of the advantages of owning an older wooden boat is that you get to wax nostalgic at events such as the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend, WA or Victoria Classic boat show or Vancouver's Wooden boat show. At these you can find Chris Crafts, Monks, Grenfell's and the like. I always search for a Mariner the make I own, but always disappointed and find none.

I follow "Travels with Geordie" subscribing to his offerings. I haven't been for quite a while but my wife and I and son, and friends have spent a fair bit of time in Port Townsend, one of my favourites in Washington State.

This Wooden Boat show is one of the best in the States and I have pretty much decided at some point to enter by boat. It won't be the prettiest gal at the dance but it will be unique.

So I thought I'd post this video for our enjoyment in our dark January weather, something to look forward to and plan for either this year or next.

We are planning on going as well, rumor is.. hard to find a spot to tie up!
I will be calling today to see if I can make a reservation!
The Thunderbird fleet always makes a good showing, its fun to see the few out of Everett get all dolled up and head out!

Last couple times I've anchored south of the ferry terminal. Unless you show up early it gets tight especially with changes in wind and tide.

The advantage is I can land the dingy on the beach right in front of the Pourhouse brewpub!

Last couple times I've anchored south of the ferry terminal. Unless you show up early it gets tight especially with changes in wind and tide.

The advantage is I can land the dingy on the beach right in front of the Pourhouse brewpub!

Sounds like a plan as boathaven is first come first served, and Pointhanson is booked with wood boats !

How much wood do I need to claim a spot on the dock?
Glass hull
Wood top..

I've got 13 varnished teak framed windows, all teak interior, varnished teak rails, teak coaming topside. My wood boat buddies there haven't run me off yet! But I'm not interested in putting my big boat in the show to get a dock. Have gone into Pt. Hudson with the gas dingy and the wood row boat with no hassles. Gets real tight inside at low tide near the rocks.

If you wanted to show the boat in the show, you'll have to contact the folks that do that to see what qualifies.

Bumming/buying rides on the big old sailboats in the afternoon breeze is great, with schooner Adventress being a highlight ride.

I've had a small wood boat in the show (on the hard) a couple times, won a T-shirt in a rowing contest, was fun!

Last edited:
I've got 13 varnished teak framed windows, all teak interior, varnished teak rails, teak coaming topside. My wood boat buddies there haven't run me off yet! But I'm not interested in putting my big boat in the show to get a dock. Have gone into Pt. Hudson with the gas dingy and the wood row boat with no hassles. Gets real tight inside at low tide near the rocks.

If you wanted to show the boat in the show, you'll have to contact the folks that do that to see what qualifies.

Bumming/buying rides on the big old sailboats in the afternoon breeze is great, with schooner Adventress being a highlight ride.

I've had a small wood boat in the show (on the hard) a couple times, won a T-shirt in a rowing contest, was fun!

Thank you for the tips, I am just kidding on entering. My El Toro looks better than my Egg right now.. But we are planning on heading over at any rate.

Well it is amazingly cheap to enter your boat than not. I had to sacrifice my entry this past summer as my boat was still in refit. But I paid $150 for three nights which isn't bad, and if you are paying American, its almost free.

I will just copy and paste from their site, you will see it is not a bad deal:

HELLO, BOATERS!
The Maritime Museum of BC is pleased to welcome you to the 2020 Victoria Classic Boat Festival. Your participation has allowed us to continue to celebrate and share our maritime heritage for over 40 years. Registration is open to vessels of Classic design and Traditional construction. Unique vessels of maritime interest are considered by invitation only. Contact info@mmbc.bc.ca for more information.

REGISTRATION FEES:
Up to 19′ | $130.00 20′ to 35′ | $175.00 36′ to 50′ | $200.00 51′ to 75′ | $235.00 Over 75 ‘ | $260.00

* Registration fees have gone up to include the cost of two tickets (valued at $50.00) for the Friday Night opening Reception at the Union Club, and to account for inflation.

THESE FEES INCLUDE:
Weekend moorage (September 3 [noon] – September 7 [noon]) at Victoria’s Inner Harbour (located in front of the Fairmont Empress Hotel in downtown Victoria)
2 tickets for the Friday Night Opening Reception at the Union Club.
FESTIVITIES BEGIN WITH THE FRIDAY NIGHT OPENING RECEPTION
The Opening Reception for the Victoria Classic Boat Festival will be held at the historic Union Club of Victoria on Friday September 4th from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Each boat will receive 2 complimentary tickets for the reception as part of their registration. Additional tickets will be available at the door on Friday evening.

EXCLUSIVE “BOATERS ONLY” ANNUAL AWARDS BANQUET!
After a weekend of celebrating, all boaters and their guests are welcome to join us at the Annual Awards Banquet at the Union Club, a National Historic Site, at 6:00 PM on Sunday, September 6th, 2020. Tickets are limited – be sure to reserve your ticket through the Registration Payment Page (Listed as “Dinner Tickets”)!

Be sure to save the link to the to the payment page in case you wish to purchase additional tickets or contact us at cbf@mmbc.bc.ca if you have questions.

2020 REGISTRATION OPENING SOON!

I know I said $150 but that included two tickets to the dinner. And if your boat is entered, you are guaranteed a spot at the marina. Also, if you can, get your boat there and just take it every year or every couple of years as you become a member of that old boats club so to speak, and they love to follow along as a boat is improved. Some boats are immaculate, others not so much.

Last edited:
RonR, my boat is all wood including the hull but fiberglass over the hull. I asked if my boat was a wooden boat in the wooden boat forum and the answer I got was a qualified yes. The purist would say no, but my boat is accepted by the majority as a wooden boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom