Weekend at Eagle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Managed to get out for the weekend to Eagle Harbor on Cypress Island in the San Juans. Posted photos of this location earlier in the year on a sunny weekend. This time we had more typical PNW weather--- a bit of sun, mostly overcast, rain showers. But saw some interesting boats (I wouldn't be surprised if the Coot was a trailer boat), some eagles, porpoises, and loons. All in all a nice two days.

Attachments

• Islands.jpg
    Islands.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Eagle 1.jpg
    Eagle 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Moored.jpg
    Moored.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Coot.jpg
    Coot.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Notch Barge 1.jpg
    Notch Barge 1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Notch Barge 2.jpg
    Notch Barge 2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Awesome shots, Marin. I never thought about enhancing the "tug" style with the economic option of used tires for fenders. A very Cool Coot. That's some massive pusher-tug in the last shot. Looks like you've got that GB really decked-out for cruising with custom canvas work.

The boat came with canvas for every external piece of teak except the half round and bullnose trim strips on the cabin plus full flying bridge and sailing dinghy covers. My wife has since made stuff like the cover for the windlass and a bunch of other things. We take all the hand, cap, and grab rail, and transom covers off for the summer.

But we use the boat year round so when we go out in the late fall, winter, and spring we just leave them on. Since these cruises are a weekend or maybe three or four days at most we don't bother to remove them for that short a time. It's not particularly attractive but it's practical.

And the canvas does wonders for the longevity of the finish in this climate (the boat lives outside in the weather), although the last couple of years I've been traveling a lot for work plus the summer weather has not been all that cooperative so the brightwork's gotten away from us a bit. Maybe we'll have a drier summer this year and we can catch up.

There's about $10,000 worth of canvas on the boat today--- we priced replacing it all with a different color but for that amount of money we can put up with the blue.:)

Last edited:
Marin,
Looks like a good place for us to go when we get south. How is the bottom and how deep? The best anchorage I can remember is Spencer Spit. Big enough so there's always a place to anchor....except in southerlys. Got any more favorite anchorages quite close to Anacortes besides the obvious like Saddleback and Bowman Bay?

I think that cutesy tug boat is an outboard. Look at the little tunnel in the transom. So you're probably right.......trailerboat. I'd sure like to have a trailerable trawler now as the HIGH cost of moorage down there is awfullllll.
I've been spoiled w my 37' $600 per year slip.

Last edited:
Eagle Harbor is a marine park under the jurisdiction of the DNR. A few years ago they installed a number of mooring buoys on screw anchors and they discourage anchoring because it digs up the eelgrass. Unlike the state marine parks, there is (so far) no charge for using the buoys. No rafting on a buoy is allowed. The depths in the bay range from 40' to however shallow you want it.

Eagle Harbor is open to the south so is subject to winds and waves from that direction. Also wakes from passing boats and ships can enter the bay and rock you around a bit. We like the rocking but some people don't. There are no facilities at the bay, and no dock but there are a couple of excellent places to beach a dinghy. The bottom is good anchoring in mud since that's what everyone had to do before the buoys. But if it's blowing from the south-southwest you'll want a good set because the wind and waves will come right up Bellingham Channel and into the bay. We always use a buoy. During the summer the bay is almost always full.

If you are in the mood for a marina with power and such when you get to the area our favorite is Westsound on Orcas. We as a rule don't like crowds, other boaters, or other boats within sight. Can't do much about the last two but Westsound is a nice, funky marina with a nice staff, good guest dock, an eclectic collection of resident boats, and you can arrange a rental car to be dropped off and picked up at the marina if you want to go shopping or explore the island.

We have no use at all for Deer Harbor, Rosario, or Roche Harbor and never go to any of them except to clear customs at Roche. Friday Harbor is an interesting place as you know and we go their on occasion with Carey and have a good time. Garrison Bay around the corner from Roche is a pretty protected anchorage.

Blind Bay on Shaw is a good, protected anchorage although you can get wakes from the ferries and other boats traveling down Harney Channel. One of our favorite destinations is Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island but that's a long run from Anacortes.

Our most common destination in the islands is our "own" island where we have property. The bay there is very protected other than from the northwest and even then it's not bad. But it's totally surrounded by private land with no public access.

The small bay itself is not private, of course, and has good anchoring in firm-ish mud. But unless one is a property owner or a guest of one a person can't go ashore anywhere and there are no facilities for boaters. It is pretty much right across Rosario Strait from Anacortes but on the inside of Decatur Island. So to to get to Anacortes you have to either run out through Lopez Pass and across Rosario or up around through Thatcher Pass and across.

The aerial photo shows our island (Center) in the foreground, Decatur behind it with Thatcher Pass in the upper left. Rosario Strait is the broad passage on the other side of Decatur. Anacortes is not far outside the right side of the frame on the other side of Rosario Strait. People who anchor in our bay do so in the middle of the photo close to our island or the Decatur side. There are a lot of private mooring buoys off the shore on both sides so you have to stay clear of them. This is pretty much our favorite place to go in the islands.

There is a wildlife preserve in a tiny bay near the tip of Decatur. It is directly across the narrow chanel from the lower right "corner" of Center Island in the photo. There is room in there for two or three boats max to anchor and stern tie and you can go ashore on the big gravel and drift log berm that separates the tiny bay from Rosario Strait on the outside. Been in there numerous times with the dinghy, never with the GB although there is room in there for boats that size.

Attachments

• Center Aerial.jpg
    Center Aerial.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I never thought about enhancing the "tug" style with the economic option of used tires for fenders. A very Cool Coot. That's some massive pusher-tug in the last shot.

My Coot came equipped with (T-shirt covered) tires too, but I thought that was taking the tug motif too far.

img_84982_0_5d4a90db0866c1c4f6a136c9ef4ed39e.jpg

img_84982_1_4dcb066dc0e61b5f171f14ee213f6aa2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right. I normally don't care a hoot about other boaters. If they sink or swim or go on the rocks or their boat craps out it's their problem, not mine. So I'd just as soon they all stay wherever it is that they are. I certainly don't what to encourage them to come up here. Except for Dave from Maine. From what I've seen of it Maine is cool so a boater from Maine is cool, too, in my book.

Eric is another exception. I've not met him and probably never will but I think Eric's forgotten more about boats and boating and cruising the waters between here and SE Alaska than I'll ever know. Regardless of whether we agree on anchors or semi-planing vs. semi-displacement or how many and how powefull boat engines should be, Eric has been there, done that, and got the T-shirt when it comes to doing things with boats, and that deserves big-time respect no matter how we might quibble over little details.

So when he ased for suggestions about good anchorages in the vicinity of Anacortes my immediate inclination was to give him the benefit of our limited experience. I did not think this through, obviously, because the correct course of action would have been to tell him all the same stuff by Private Message so all the boating leeches outside the PNW wouldn't see it.. Unfortunately you can't attach photos to PMs, at least not by any means I'm aware of, so I used the open forum to show Eric what "our" bay looks like.

My bad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you can't attach photos to PMs, at least not by any means I'm aware of, so I used the open forum to show Eric what "our" bay looks like.

Marin, pasting the photo within the PM works. I first copy the photo from online photographic service sites like Photobucket, or Snapfish, or whatever.

Marin, pasting the photo within the PM works. I first copy the photo from online photographic service sites like Photobucket, or Snapfish, or whatever.

Aha. So if I copy the photo from my desktop or something then I could paste it into a PM. I'll try that at some point to see if it works for me. But assuming it does that solves the problem Krogenguy described. I'll be able to send photos of cool places to specific people but avoid informing the rabble.:)

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom