Are we getting more gales here in PNW & BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two summers ago we had a drought, the small streams dried up completely and it created issues for the salmon returning to (no) streams. It was incredibly stable weather, never lost a day to travel on the big water, very unusual. If I based "more wind" on that summer, then yes. I don't know what the long term effects of a dry summer are on the vegetation, much of which is growing on rock with only a thin layer of soil. Most of the coastal streams are rain dependent, no rain no streams, so not good at any rate.

Last summer was back to normal, plenty of water in the streams, and I had periods of no travel across the big water. I do see a shift in the fall winds coming earlier than 10-15 years ago, and the patterns of the wind (where it comes ashore) is different. Where I live we used to get a LOT of snow, now the weather doesn't come up the Inlet anymore but passes by and comes ashore in a different locality delivering the snow to other places instead. Suits me :)

The typhoons from Asia have become more normal in our winters here, making the climate more temperate and a bit windier. It used to be pretty much a once per year event we called Chinook Winds, a melting event mid winter. So yep, the climate is ever changing.

Weathermen and women over the years have talked about how difficult it is to provide accurate weather forecasts in coastal BC. The first problem is that the forecast covers such a wide and long area. And the forecast announces the worst, even though the worst is often a significant smaller area.

A microcosm of this was a personal experience decades ago on a sailboat on the westerly bay on Gambier Island - it has three bays. My buddy was on his boat at the most easterly bay on Gambier. So to bed we both go in our respective boats. I call him the next morning to arrange a meet up at Plumber's Cove and he tells me what a wretched night he had with "the storm." I said: "What storm?" He experienced heavy rain and wind and somehow it never made it to the other end of Gambier. The whole coast is like that. You can be in Grace Harbour enjoying a wonderful sleep while another boat in Tribune Bay is rocking and rolling.

The only reason Qualicum gets it own little forecast is that the confluence of winds happens so much. And they can be confused winds. I don't know how many times sitting in my car beside the Coast Guard office, I've seen winds in three different directions. The flags beside the Coast Guard will be almost ripping off the pole, flags pointing in one direction at this time of the year, pointing north west. But flags on some boats are pointed West and others pointed East, all strong winds.

By the way, for you locals that live close to French Creek, roughly around 15 March will be herring season. Going to the FC marina during this time is very much like attending a small town fair. Lots and lots of activity, both by commercial and sport fisherman. Also the Sea Lions will be there in full force, sometimes around 80 of them, very noticeable into the later hours as they don't shut up.... lol. A lot of the locals who don't normally visit the marina come in to see the "show." I find it a fun time. It will last roughly two weeks maybe two and a half. The fishing boats then proceed north chasing the heron. The Sea Gulls put on a show as they will fly as one flock, in the thousands taking a half hour to cross one point. They will come south to around FC in the morning and head north somewhere close to Comox for dinner. Interesting to see.

At night, again for you locals, jump in your car and come to the beaches in Eaglecrest and other beaches north at around 11 at night. You can see something like 50 commercial fishing boats all lit up, kind of like Xmas Carol ships in Vancouver.

When we picked our boat in Cow Bay we had a number of bad nights with sea lions.

The herring fishery is very entertaining but its exactly why we need fish farms.

We may end up in Qualicum but French Ck. is not where I'd like to leave the lump as there is minimal security and lots of rafting.

60 Mph gust on the bay this morning and enjoyed the freezing mist as I walked the dog.

By the way, for you locals that live close to French Creek, roughly around 15 March will be herring season. Going to the FC marina during this time is very much like attending a small town fair.

A lot of the locals who don't normally visit the marina come in to see the "show." I find it a fun time.

Sorry, I can’t agree with encouraging people to flock to marinas and beaches. That’s why the Herring Festival is virtual this year.

Keep an eye on these instead.

Columbia Beach, Parksville BC

San Pareil, Parksville BC

Realize that in this area, a major retirement center, the population is good about social distancing etc. The area I live very close to French Creek is elderly from the young old, middle old and frail old. Its us that will die off if things go bad. You just have to stay in your car, most do. People don't go down to the docks, I've been to the marina just about everyday for the past year, where I isolate in my car. Quite a few do that. In fact, many of the same people have been parking in the same area I have and I don't know one of them after one year.

In the Qualicum Beach township (oldest average age in Canada), there has been very little Covid.

Going to the FC marina during this time is very much like attending a small town fair.

Ok well, I won't belabour it, but those locals you speak of who regularly go down to the sea in scooters probably already know about it. Posting a town fair like event on social media is what I disagree with; this year.

La Nina brings more storm systems our way. From early Oct into Jan the central coast had storm winds twice a week. There were none during the almost winter spell in Jan/Feb, and it seems pretty typical now for March.

In response to the original question (even though we are south of the places identified), we also think we have seen many more instances of high winds this year than in the previous 8 years. Granted, that is a much smaller sample size than 40 years, but the changes have been startlingly noticeable.

Normally, once we settle into the slip for winter (which is September-May) we will see winds in excess of 50mph an average of 4-5 times. Since last October, we have now had 10 days with winds over 50mph. We have exceeded 60mph at least 3 times - and we have a few months of "windy winter weather" left to go!

Hopefully this year is an aberration and we will not see these kinds of days consistently in the years to come. But we're not holding our breath...

Hurricanes in Spain (?)

Seems to me that here in normally windy Qualicum Beach even for us we are experiencing far more gales than normal. What say you on the rest of the island and maybe Blaine, Billingham and Point Roberts?

We are in Spain, Mediterranean coast. Barcelona and Menorca Island.This year it is clearly more windy and we are starting to have hurricanes that it is absolutely unusual in our latitudes.

Armando

North coast BC pussy willow update:

My wife and I drove 130 Km from our place in Kitimat to a point on the Skeena River about 1/2 way between Terrace and Prince Rupert to see if the oolichan have started spawning yet.

They weren't, but I did see one patch of pussy willows just peeking out of their covers. Still none in Terrace where there is no snow and they are really late as well.

I know you're all sitting on the edge of your seats on this globally significant ecological conundrum, so I'll keep you posted :thumb:

No oolichan yet either, although there were vehicles parked along the spawning beds where other people were checking it out and there were a smattering of bald eagles and seagulls as well. No sea lions 1/2 the way up the river to Terrace yet, which is the slam dunk indicator.

We may end up in Qualicum but French Ck. is not where I'd like to leave the lump as there is minimal security and lots of rafting.

If you do stop by at FC, send me a message and I'll buy you a beer. PS: Never been on a custom 50 boat. FC is a harbour really for the commercial fisherman and yes it is mostly rafting. But I think this is still on, but............. you can purchase a 30 ticket packet for $100 for moorage, yes it is rafted up with probably no power. But the food isn't bad at the pub there, not great, but "not bad."

This also goes for Comox, if you dock there, we can go for a beer, I'll buy the first round at the Blackfin pub. (walking distance to your boat at either marina)

Posting a town fair like event on social media is what I disagree with; this year. You give me far more credit than I deserve. Just about no one listens to me, I'd be shocked if one person went to FC because of my post here. I mean how many on TF live in Qualicum Beach, French Creek and Parksville.

I’ve definitely noticed some stronger systems in the north and central coast this winter, and more frequently possibly then years gone by.

In response to the original question (even though we are south of the places identified), we also think we have seen many more instances of high winds this year than in the previous 8 years. Granted, that is a much smaller sample size than 40 years, but the changes have been startlingly noticeable.

Normally, once we settle into the slip for winter (which is September-May) we will see winds in excess of 50mph an average of 4-5 times. Since last October, we have now had 10 days with winds over 50mph. We have exceeded 60mph at least 3 times - and we have a few months of "windy winter weather" left to go!

Hopefully this year is an aberration and we will not see these kinds of days consistently in the years to come. But we're not holding our breath...

Data point from skunk bay weather. I believe from Hansville WA. Shows at least locally what we have discussed informally over beers down here in Seattle. More events with higher top winds this year than previous. Ymmv.

IMG_8245.jpg

Tozz,
Definitely widespread instability.

Data point from skunk bay weather. I believe from Hansville WA. Shows at least locally what we have discussed informally over beers down here in Seattle. More events with higher top winds this year than previous. Ymmv.

View attachment 115351
The last moderate La Nina was in 2010-11, followed by a moderate event in 2011-12.

Just before this graph.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom