Old 03-20-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
AK Cruise

Considering a bareboat guided tour from NW Explorations known as the Mother Goose tours. Any feedback, suggestions, experience would be appreciated. Most likely on a well-maintained Grand Banks mid to upper 40' range. I have lots of boating experience but not with twin engines or a power boat this size, but am not intimidated.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #2

City: Lynden
Vessel Name: Joint Venture
Vessel Model: 1978 GlasPly 2800 mid cabin
I know this charter company very well and have a very close friend work for them. Very reputable company with very clean and well maintained charter fleet, Are you doing the Bellingham to Sitka leg of the trip? You will be in good hands for the complete trip and have an amazing time with awesome memories.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
We see them once or twice most summers. Kind of hard to miss when you see a line of 4 or more AIS targets in trail on the NAV display. I have seen them leaving Sitka and Ketchikan most recently. From Sitka they seem to be heading around the west side of Chichagof Is which is a pretty wild place with some tight navigation if you want to avoid longer stretches of open water exposing you swells on the beam.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V View Post
I know this charter company very well and have a very close friend work for them. Very reputable company with very clean and well maintained charter fleet, You will be in good hands for the complete trip.
Thanks so much. I talked with them and have a good impression. They do about 6-7 different trips or "legs". Would you know which are the best or what is a must-see/must-do? Or perhaps ask your friend if it's not too much of an imposition? We are on the East Coast and not familiar with that boating area other than a brief sail cruise in the San Juan Islands. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
We see them once or twice most summers. Kind of hard to miss when you see a line of 4 or more AIS targets in trail on the NAV display. I have seen them leaving Sitka and Ketchikan most recently. From Sitka they seem to be heading around the west side of Chichagof Is which is a pretty wild place with some tight navigation if you want to avoid longer stretches of open water exposing you swells on the beam.

Tom
Wild as in good wilderness or wild as in rough passage?
Old 03-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #6

I can assure you that the Master of the flotilla will never put you in an area that you won't be comfortable being in. I would be certain that "wild" would be in the beauty and wildlife you will encounter. I have been to SE Alaska 3 times by boat and have never had an "ordinary" or "normal" trip. They have all been so extraordinary trips that I intend the next trip to be on my own boat. A true adventure of a lifetime.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Thanks so much. I talked with them and have a good impression. They do about 6-7 different trips or "legs". Would you know which are the best or what is a must-see/must-do?
In Alaska I would love the Baranof Island Circumnavigation leg but probably because I have never seen that part of Alaska. The Ketchikan, AK to Bellingham, WA leg would be great too, especially if Canada opens their border by then and you'll have the best weather of the summer too. The Juneau, AK to Ketchikan, AK leg is also a great choice as is the Sitka, AK to Juneau, AK leg. Truthfully, there is no bad choice.

Desolation Sound 2 week trip is also a very fun and memorable vacation. In the past 15 years I have spent many weeks of my summers cruising through the islands of Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. The PNW has some of the finest cruising grounds ever experienced in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #8

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
NW Explorations has a good reputation. One alternative if you want to see Alaska without the flotilla is a charter from Auke Bay Adventures. They have some Nordic Tugs, but frankly they're not as well looked after as the NW Explorations boats.

As far as places to see, I'd recommend an itinerary that has at least one visit to a tidewater glacier. They're magical and hard to see elsewhere.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As far as places to see, I'd recommend an itinerary that has at least one visit to a tidewater glacier. They're magical and hard to see elsewhere.
Very good advice too.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V View Post
In Alaska I would love the Baranof Island Circumnavigation leg but probably because I have never seen that part of Alaska. The Ketchikan, AK to Bellingham, WA leg would be great too, especially if Canada opens their border by then and you'll have the best weather of the summer too. The Juneau, AK to Ketchikan, AK leg is also a great choice as is the Sitka, AK to Juneau, AK leg. Truthfully, there is no bad choice.

Desolation Sound 2 week trip is also a very fun and memorable vacation. In the past 15 years I have spent many weeks of my summers cruising through the islands of Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. The PNW has some of the finest cruising grounds ever experienced in my opinion.
Thanks! Maybe I need to move!
Old 03-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Another vote for NWX. I keep my boat a stone's throw from their dock and know their operation and many of their employees. Definitely a well-run charter company with many nice boats to choose from, mostly GB's.

Regarding Tom Brady's remarks on the west sides of Baranof and Chichigof islands as being wild, realize that the exposure is to the Gulf of Alaska. Yes, there are benign days in the summer that you could water ski, but most days there is a persistent ocean swell that would be on your beam. Throw in some wind chop and opposing current and you have potentially wild conditions, although there are many nooks and crannies that have good protection that you can duck into. Wild on the beach too, after you're anchored....lots of bears in these parts. The key thing is to really watch the weather when you are there. Travel when you can and stay put when you should. If you're in a NWX flotilla, they will take care of you in that regard.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:44 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Another vote for NWX. I keep my boat a stone's throw from their dock and know their operation and many of their employees. Definitely a well-run charter company with many nice boats to choose from, mostly GB's.

Regarding Tom Brady's remarks on the west sides of Baranof and Chichigof islands as being wild, realize that the exposure is to the Gulf of Alaska. Yes, there are benign days in the summer that you could water ski, but most days there is a persistent ocean swell that would be on your beam. Throw in some wind chop and opposing current and you have potentially wild conditions, although there are many nooks and crannies that have good protection that you can duck into. Wild on the beach too, after you're anchored....lots of bears in these parts. The key thing is to really watch the weather when you are there. Travel when you can and stay put when you should. If you're in a NWX flotilla, they will take care of you in that regard.
I appreciate the tips having never boated in that area. Most likely will be in a flotilla and I understand that the lead guide is very good and knowledgeable. Speaking with them, they vary their routes each year and are aiming to be in more protected waters each year vs the previous year. We wont likely go until the 2022 season so we are in the early planning stages and I knew there would be some good advice here. Thanks everyone! BTW, quite an expensive trip, so most likely a once in a lifetime event, but you never know. Regardless, it should be a good way to kick off my first full year of retirement. Beats being on a tour bus or cruise ship somewhere, but that's just me. Not everyone enjoys a working vacation, doing your own cooking and housekeeping, etc.