Old 03-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Barcelona
Vessel Name: Verdblau
Vessel Model: Blue Ocean 45/47
Hurricanes in Spain (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Seems to me that here in normally windy Qualicum Beach even for us we are experiencing far more gales than normal. What say you on the rest of the island and maybe Blaine, Billingham and Point Roberts?
We are in Spain, Mediterranean coast. Barcelona and Menorca Island.This year it is clearly more windy and we are starting to have hurricanes that it is absolutely unusual in our latitudes.

Armando
armando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #42
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
North coast BC pussy willow update:

My wife and I drove 130 Km from our place in Kitimat to a point on the Skeena River about 1/2 way between Terrace and Prince Rupert to see if the oolichan have started spawning yet.

They weren't, but I did see one patch of pussy willows just peeking out of their covers. Still none in Terrace where there is no snow and they are really late as well.

I know you're all sitting on the edge of your seats on this globally significant ecological conundrum, so I'll keep you posted

No oolichan yet either, although there were vehicles parked along the spawning beds where other people were checking it out and there were a smattering of bald eagles and seagulls as well. No sea lions 1/2 the way up the river to Terrace yet, which is the slam dunk indicator.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #43
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
We may end up in Qualicum but French Ck. is not where I'd like to leave the lump as there is minimal security and lots of rafting.

If you do stop by at FC, send me a message and I'll buy you a beer. PS: Never been on a custom 50 boat. FC is a harbour really for the commercial fisherman and yes it is mostly rafting. But I think this is still on, but............. you can purchase a 30 ticket packet for $100 for moorage, yes it is rafted up with probably no power. But the food isn't bad at the pub there, not great, but "not bad."

This also goes for Comox, if you dock there, we can go for a beer, I'll buy the first round at the Blackfin pub. (walking distance to your boat at either marina)

Posting a town fair like event on social media is what I disagree with; this year. You give me far more credit than I deserve. Just about no one listens to me, I'd be shocked if one person went to FC because of my post here. I mean how many on TF live in Qualicum Beach, French Creek and Parksville.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:13 AM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver island
I’ve definitely noticed some stronger systems in the north and central coast this winter, and more frequently possibly then years gone by.
Xlshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #45

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
In response to the original question (even though we are south of the places identified), we also think we have seen many more instances of high winds this year than in the previous 8 years. Granted, that is a much smaller sample size than 40 years, but the changes have been startlingly noticeable.

Normally, once we settle into the slip for winter (which is September-May) we will see winds in excess of 50mph an average of 4-5 times. Since last October, we have now had 10 days with winds over 50mph. We have exceeded 60mph at least 3 times - and we have a few months of "windy winter weather" left to go!

Hopefully this year is an aberration and we will not see these kinds of days consistently in the years to come. But we're not holding our breath...

Data point from skunk bay weather. I believe from Hansville WA. Shows at least locally what we have discussed informally over beers down here in Seattle. More events with higher top winds this year than previous. Ymmv.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8245.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	115351
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #46
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Tozz,
Definitely widespread instability.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:18 PM   #47
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz View Post
Data point from skunk bay weather. I believe from Hansville WA. Shows at least locally what we have discussed informally over beers down here in Seattle. More events with higher top winds this year than previous. Ymmv.

Attachment 115351
The last moderate La Nina was in 2010-11, followed by a moderate event in 2011-12.

Just before this graph.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote