Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Walnut Creek
Vessel Model: Currently Chartering
California Delta Trip Suggestions

I charter out of the Bay area and have explored the Bay and parts of the Delta. I have a week long trip scheduled in late Sept and want to head up into the Delta again.

We have gone as far as Sacramento in the past, explored up the Napa river and visited Pittsburgh and Antioch. We love Benica and is always on our destination list. We have also done some exploring up the San Joaquin River a bit but not that familiar with the area.

I want to go to Stockton but not sure if that would be a good trip. My first mate is not too excited with the trip as she says the Delta is like, "cruising in a ditch."

So now the question; does anyone familiar with the area have suggestions of a trip that will show the first mate there is more to the Delta than just a "ditch?" She does like marina destinations that has restaurants but I also like quiet anchor locations. Living in the east bay, Stockton does not have the best reputation but maybe by boat, it has a different flavor?

I would appreciate any suggestions!
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Petaluma is a wonderful destination. At the turning basin (a couple miles beyond the Petaluma marina), one is immediately downtown with lots of restaurants and shops nearby. Transit the upper reaches of Petaluma slough within two hours of high tide and make an appointment for raising the D Street Bridge (see City of Petaluma website).

During weekdays, one can usually dock abeam, but during weekends you may have to dock "Mediterranean" style.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I don't consider the San Joaquin River a ditch.

I'm waiting for other TFers much more familiar with the Delta to give us suggestions.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Yes, the San Joaquin seems to have more open water than the Sacramento river. I am not sure if that is true or not, but that is thw way it seems. The last few miles to Stockton are definitely a ditch.
Some guys here put together a good cruising guide. I think its in the SF bay/Delta group forum.
Scott
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Some guys here put together a good cruising guide. I think its in the SF bay/Delta group forum.
Scott

Here is the thread Scott referred
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...uide-6139.html

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:25 AM   #6
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Look into exploring "Georgiana Slough". It's absolutely beautiful and many say what the "old" delta was like 100 years ago. Your first mate may change her impression of the delta!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks all for the info. Craig the link you provided has a wealth of information and can eliminate a lot of retyping! And I will order the guide. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I just added some notes to the excellent 2012 thread referenced above.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Another Delta question?

If you head north on Georgiana slough toward Walnut Grove can you get to the Mokelumne river? We are thinking about overnighting at the Walnut Grove marina but it is not real clear where to cross over?Thanks,
Johnny
Old 09-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
Guru

You will enter Georgiana Slough from the Mok River at the south end of Georgiana Slough. When you arrive in Walnut Grove you'll be in the Sacramento River.

You might consider taking the Sacramento north to Walnut Grove then hang a right into Georgiana Slough and end up in the Mok.

Call to check on one of the two bridges crossing Georginana...the bridge at Tyler Island was having some sort of electrical problem a couple of weeks back and couldn't open. A call might save you a lost half day. The bridge info number is 707-374-2134
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 09-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Would it be better to head north on the North Fork Moke to Walnut Grove marina and then the next day head back down the South Fork? Someone suggested Georgiana was a great experience.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Probably poor choice of words. In stead of better maybe I should have said just as good of an experience...
Old 09-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Now that I look it was you Ray that suggested Georgiana! Sorry.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #14
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441593041.740007.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	44212

Here's a screen shot of the river system we're discussing. You'll recognize these rivers on your map. Georgiana Slough is in between and parallel with the Sacramento River to the west and the North Fork of the Moke to the east. You can't get into Georgiana from the North Fork of the Moke except where the north and south fork meet just before the confluence with the San Joaquin River. That location is the south end of Georgiana Slough.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 09-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Ray and I apologize for being dense. So if I start from the SJ river and assuming no bridge issues I head north on Gerogiana and as a reference point I pass Ox Bow and then finally enter the Sac river near Walnut Grove can I head north a bit and then turn right and get to the Mok?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #16
Guru

In a word no! The Dept of Water Resources steals fresh water from the Sacramento River and conveys it through the "Delta Cross Channel". The channel is just north of where Georgiana enters the Sacramento. It's only open during part of the year. It's closed right now. However, when it's open, we can only use it with run-a bouts and dinks (no bridge lift). About 12 feet clearance.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 09-07-2015, 05:59 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Johnny, I strongly suggest you get some real nautical charts, not maps, for the area, study them and have someone go over them with you.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Thanks for the confirmation Ray. Looking at chart 18662 it does indicate the cross channel is not accessable but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Ray's right. In the north end, unless you're in a dink, you cannot easily move from the Sac to Moke N fork or from the Moke N fork to the Moke S fork. That little slough running east toward Wimpy's goes under an unmovable low bridge.

Ray and I spent a week in those waters last month and really enjoyed the change of pace each night. We started at Riverboat for a fundraiser dinner for some fire victims, then on to Guisti's for a night, then up to just S of the cross delta channel, which was open. We spent 2 nights there and enjoyed checking out the towns of Walnut Grove and Locke before heading back toward our home marina in Vallejo.

We were planning a night in Georgianna Slough but with the Tyler Island Bridge out of service, we traveled via the SJ River and 3 Mile Slough to an anchorage behind Decker Island. Then the last night was spent on the lee side of Freeman Island near Suisun Cut. There's such a tremendous variety in the Delta. We're blessed with thousands of great anchorages.

Hope you find your own paradise in your adventures.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote