Up Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Some photos from our annual haibut fishing trip to the north end of Vancouver Island. We rent one of the houses in the cove for a couple of weeks. The halibut in the photo was 100 pounds.

The M/V Gikumi was built in the 1940s as a workboat (not a fishing boat) and served the mill at Telegraph Cove hauling lumber, equipment, and supplies until the mill closed in the 1980s. It was then used for whale watching. It is kept in unbelievably beautiful condition and we are planning on chartering it (with its owner and wife as crew) for a week next year to explore the whole area. The photos of the Pacific Whitesided dolphin and the humpback whale were taken when I went out on the Gikumi last weekend. The fellow at the wheel has owned the Gikumi since the mill closed. This is his typical steering position on longer runs. The wheel has been on three of Telegraph Cove's workboats starting with the first one in the early 1920s or thereabouts, and it must be returned to the descendants of the family that established the cove in the event the Gikumi is ever sold off the property.

PS- The shots for the panorama were taken at low tide. When the tide is in the water is up under all the buildings in the background.

Attachments

• TC Panorama.jpg
    TC Panorama.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 100 pounds.jpg
    100 pounds.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Gikumi 2.jpg
    Gikumi 2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Jim.jpg
    Jim.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Spray.jpg
    Spray.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Humpback.jpg
    Humpback.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Pacific Whitesides.jpg
    Pacific Whitesides.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Eagle.jpg
    Eagle.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Cub 1.jpg
    Cub 1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Cub 2.jpg
    Cub 2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
That looks like an egg-laying female to me. Probably post spawn. I let those go.

Cheers,

Don

Great pictures. That mama bear sure looked close!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom