Tenass Pass Alaska Navigable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I don't.
I know the Craig boats go to the west coast of Noyes Is. Well actually the commercial fleet is there going around and around. Maybe only the highliners can get in line ??? I'm not sure where the commercial sport fish boats go.

Coronation Is is different. I think it's got lots of restrictions on access. Don't think you can land a boat on the beach. But as to fishing I have no idea.

One place I do know that is great for fishing is on the west coast of Kuiu Island. I know guys in Thorne Bay that think Tebenkof Bay and The Bay of Pillars is wonderful .. and these guys fish. Especially Halibut. Do more research but I'll bet Salmon fishing is great too. No Tenass Pass there though. Gotta go down around Cape Decision or up through Rocky Pass and Kake.

I don't know of any restrictions on landing boats. The beach in the back of Egg Harbor is pretty nice but Egg Harbor is exposed to the north and experiences williwaws in southerly winds. We spent one night there and got blown around alot with the south winds. Fishing was pretty good for bottom fish.

Tom

Rocky Pass

There is no need to worry about using Rocky Pass. For the last ten years we have taken our 36ft trawler through this Pass without any problems. Follow recommendations from Douglas and you will be fine. Plenty of places to drop the hook and fishing is fantastic. Yes, it saves time, distance and is well protected from the weather.

Last year we explored this area and took our dingy to Tenass Pass looking to do what you are contemplating. We also spoke to a resident fisherman on Marble Island and our conclusion is that we would not attempt the Pass even at high tide.

There is no need to worry about using Rocky Pass. For the last ten years we have taken our 36ft trawler through this Pass without any problems. Follow recommendations from Douglas and you will be fine. Plenty of places to drop the hook and fishing is fantastic. Yes, it saves time, distance and is well protected from the weather.

Thanks for that.....good to know.

Last year we explored this area and took our dingy to Tenass Pass looking to do what you are contemplating. We also spoke to a resident fisherman on Marble Island and our conclusion is that we would not attempt the Pass even at high tide.

Thanks.....very helpful information.

My initial question was based on what I heard from the OP and the others responding. I do pass through tight places occasionally using just the methods outlined. We've taking our RIB and checked out shallow areas, we've used a pilot to get into Romora Bay. It wasn't meant to imply anyone fell off a turnip truck, but I was reading about a pass that is obviously challenging and potentially very problematic and given other options, I would take them. I was just trying to understand the reason others would go through such effort to take this particular pass. I've heard all the responses. It is definitely not a pass I would select. As to Ken E's scenario I would choose Option 2 if in a slow boat, from where I sit now. However, that would be dependent on local knowledge I'd pick up when there. If in a faster boat, I would select between option 1 and 2. I would just not choose to go through the trouble of option 3 to save 40 miles, but that's my choice. As to paying the price for safety, I would, but I don't think anyone here is suggesting doing anything they feel is unsafe. To me it's also the amount of effort certain routes require to be safe. But then I prefer running outside than running the ICW on the east coast. I'm capable of navigating the ICW carefully. Like the outside route.

I respect those navigating in Alaska. Nothing here has even tempted me to where I would choose Tenass. In fact, it has reinforced my reluctance to do so. Could I do so safely, depending on the boat, yes. I have learned a lot about the reasons many here would attempt that route by asking questions, which was the point of my initial question. I often take the path of least resistance because that makes my boating more pleasurable. I leave areas like Tenass to be explored by RIB or smaller boat. That's my choice and I do respect the choices others make.

As to a safety lecture, it wasn't intended as that, but a follow up to a question. However, I won't apologize for bringing the safety issue into the discussion. If some felt I was insulting their professionalism, then for that I do apologize.

Roger that, Bandb. Thanks for the comments.

The guy wants to get some information on a possible navigable pass so he can make an intelligent decision. Instead he gets a lecture on boating.

:iagree:

Al-Ketchikan

Just found this thread.
. I lived at Edna Bay in the late fifties, and have been through Tenses pass many times going to and from Deweyvile (Sarkar Cove/Lake). We had outboard powered skiffs. I cannot recall any larger boats going through, and would hesitate to recommend it.
As I remember Brockman is even more challenging.

We were in Edna Bay en-route to our friends cabin on Marble Is. nearby in perfect weather. Lucky us.

Pic 1 The harbor at Edna Bay.

pic 2 On the town float.

Pic 4 Our friends cabin on Marble Is. The Marble in the Washington State buildings at the capital in Olympia came from here.

Pic 5 Edna Bay is mostly strung out along the beach like most logging towns.

Attachments

• STH71350 copy.jpg
    STH71350 copy.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 71
  • STH71349 copy.jpg
    STH71349 copy.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 63
  • STH71364 copy.jpg
    STH71364 copy.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 64
  • STH71357 copy.jpg
    STH71357 copy.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 67
Just found this thread.
. I lived at Edna Bay in the late fifties, and have been through Tenses pass many times going to and from Deweyvile (Sarkar Cove/Lake). We had outboard powered skiffs. I cannot recall any larger boats going through, and would hesitate to recommend it.
As I remember Brockman is even more challenging.

Thanks for passing that along.....very helpful. The info that I've gotten from Eric on Nomad Willy, Deckhand, and others have dissuaded me from trying Tenass. I appreciate the spirit of this site, to pass on knowledge gained from experience. In this case, there's no substitute for local knowledge of a tricky passage .......having been there and done that trumps all other information sources.

We were in Edna Bay en-route to our friends cabin on Marble Is. nearby in perfect weather. Lucky us.

Pic 1 The harbor at Edna Bay.

pic 2 On the town float.

Pic 4 Our friends cabin on Marble Is. The Marble in the Washington State buildings at the capital in Olympia came from here.

Pic 5 Edna Bay is mostly strung out along the beach like most logging towns.

Thanks, nice photos.
We were in what is now considered West Edna. We used to cut spruce trolling poles at Old Tokeen, Marble Island. Good swimming in the marble quarries when the summer sun warms the water.
We intend to cruise the area next year.
There are a few of my family's photos on the E.B. web site.

Back
Top Bottom