Suggestions for 6 days/nights Gulf Islands / San Juan area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
Having my sister and her husband coming out for the first time to cruise for 7 days or so. I’ll pick them up in Sidney BC, and wondering whether anyone has a nice cruise/moorage suggestions?

They are flying from the US and will clear customs prior to getting to Sidney. But if we go to the San Juan’s we would need to clear again there, and at this point they are flying back out of Vancouver (though maybe they could change that to Seattle and take Kenmore back from Friday Harbor or something).

However Gulf islands are great too.

Must see for them is Bouchard Gardens, so I was thinking of mooring in Tod Inlet one night and going to the back entrance by tender. It will probably be crowded and I’m 65’ I’ve been there several times but always off season not the middle of August. Dinner then maybe at the Brentwood Bay Pub.

Victoria we might visit by car.

I was thinking Bedwell (dinner at Pirates Cove?)

Any logical thoughts of best places to go and maybe shore things to do? Ganges?

Should I go to the San Juan’s? Roche? Friday Harbor? Sucia?

What’s the best one week itinerary for first time visitors? 65’ LOA, maybe a preference to stay on the hook, but also to get off the boat to go to the shore and see things?

If they could have come for two weeks I think we would have gone to Desolation. Maybe I could fly them up by seaplane and position the boat there but everything gets complicated. Sidney is easier.

Start with Sydney spit, it's right across from town, easy win win for first day. Be careful on entry, it's got some shallow spots. Good in southeries. If northerly winds, suggest Montague harbor on Galiano Island after the gardens trip.

Do you intend to dock at Sydney marina? That will be tight for 65'. We cleared customs there Sunday, long waits on the phone, land or cell.

Start with Sydney spit, it's right across from town, easy win win for first day. Be careful on entry, it's got some shallow spots. Good in southeries. If northerly winds, suggest Montague harbor on Galiano Island after the gardens trip.

Do you intend to dock at Sydney marina? That will be tight for 65'. We cleared customs there Sunday, long waits on the phone, land or cell.

Thank you for your reply.

I’m trying to make this as epic as I can in the short time so they will want to come back! It’s a big trip for them. Hence open to docking, great restaurants etc too.

Some quick reactions:

I have seasonal access to a slip in Tsehum Harbour (Westport) which I am quite familiar with, which is where my boat is now and where I intend them to embark/disembark unless there are better ideas. (I also can borrow a slip in Sidney itself from a friend which is sufficiently large but I think it’s easier to keep a car rental though for a day to go into Victoria and Sidney before taking off. )

I dropped hook once for lunch off of Sidney Spit marine park but I would prefer the more hidden cove less open type moorage?

Last edited:
Having your location as "West Coast" isn't helpful.

Are you picking them up with your boat in Sidney?

Are they flying into Vancouver then taking the ferry to Sidney?

Are you coming up from Seattle or surrounding area to Sidney?

Have your friends been to Vancouver lots before -love it or hate it?

I will suggest an alternative holiday, the other suggestions will be great I'm sure. If your friends are flying in and can cancel the flight from Vancouver to Victoria, have them meet you in Vancouver.

There are three prime locations:

1. Howe Sound, good anchorage in Plumper's Cove. Motor around part of the sound, maybe a stop over in Gibson's.

2. Granville Island area: There is good anchorage by Science World in False Creek. Dinghy to Granville Island from your anchorage. Its free but you have to get a pass or something, good for two weeks, free. I stand corrected, there use to be anchorage in False Creek, check map below. There is anchorage roughly where the Maritime Museum is on Kits Point.

https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/false-creek-anchoring-map5.pdf

3. Indian Arm, also called by some locally as the poor man's Desolation Sound. You can anchor in Deep Cove and dinghy to the public dock to walk around "downtown" Deep Cove. Kate Winslett loves donuts from "Honey's" so you might want to try them out. If you belong to a yacht club, you probably have reciprocals with the Deep Cove Yacht Club.

Images of Indian Arm:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ind...HbJfDroQ_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1

You can also anchor in Bedwell Bay and dinghy over to Deep Cove. Cruise down the length of the Arm (really a fjord) and there is good anchorage at the end. Also two yacht clubs out stations there.

Note: going under the Lions Gate bridge you can do almost all the time but going under the second narrows bridge (Iron Workers Memorial Bridge) can be more tricky, check out Waggoner for instructions.

Your first day you could cruise from Sidney to Nanaimo and anchor at Newcastle, read Waggoner for this area. There are mooring balls there (paid, cheap) but there are boat length restrictions on them.

From Nanaimo you can then jump over to downtown Vancouver or by Keats Island (Plumper's Cove).

I find some visitors like isolation on boats, others detest it. My recommendation is more for folks who want some isolation and some big city.

Last edited:
Ganges for certain. If you can make the Saturday Market fit your calendar, that's a big plus. In any case, don't miss breakfast at Barb's Buns (sausage rolls++).

I am also a big advocate of the Vancouver area, but that sounds like a different week.,

If you want to be on Anchor, try Montique Bay, Clam Bay or Wallace Cove. Towns to visit would be Sidney, Ganges, Silva Bay and Nanaimo. Places to stop for dinner or lunch are too numerous to list.

Thanks everyone.

I was at the Ganges market in May, and it was fun.

I keep the boat at Sidney, so that’s why I thought it easier to meet there. They are flying thtough Vancouver and were going to ferry over and back to Sidney (She really wanted to see Bouchard Gardens, hence Tod Inlet.)

I suppose I could ferry them myself back to Vancouver and maybe explore there instead, and return to Sidney later solo. So many things to do so little time. Hate to waste too much time moving around but some of it is fun.

Hence the request for suggestions.

Last edited:
Butchart Gardens really are worth seeing. If they haven’t been to Victoria, they may enjoy going there by boat if you can get a reservation for moorage at the Causeway Floats (Greater Victoria Harbour Authority).

I was just at Clam Bay 2 weeks ago. It’s a nice anchorage but nothing to write home about. Wallace would be fun if there is room for you to stern tie there.
You can take the little foot ferry over to Sidney Spit - easier than finding anchorage on a nice day!

Yes, Montague Harbour is nice! You can anchor, get a reservation at the marina…

(She really wanted to see Bouchard Gardens, hence Tod Inlet.)

Hence the request for suggestions.

Okay, here's one more: Back portal to Bouchart Gardens is a good idea. I would spend the night before, or after, at Cowichan, or if anchor-out is to your taste, Genoa Bay and dinghy in for the excellent breakfast "on the barge".

...and Ganges is just around the corner from either.

Hmmm. I'm just noticing the degree to which my cruising itinerary has been a series of culinary experiences. ...your guests may never have been to a floating pub

Last edited:
My advice is to keep it simple. If they aren't boaters, you don't want to run for hours during the day. Butchart Gardens, Cowichan/Genoa, Montague, Ganges and your schedule if pretty full.

For Ganges, its worth scheduling around the Saturday market because its a nice small town vibe and an activity. You will need a reservation if you want to be at the dock or there is usually plenty of room to anchor within tender range. Montague has nice hiking along the beach and there is a restaurant at the marina. Either marina or anchoring works there.

With guests, we try to alternate nights at anchor and marina visits. Most non-boaters are happier if they can walk on and off the boat at will.

Six nights will go quick and, if you are taking them to Vancouver for flights out, you will need to be careful to not overbook so you don't just run from one thing to the next.

Starting from Westport Marina, you will find lots to see and do around Sidney.
Poet's Cove with reservations, has a good restaurant.
Port Browning pub changed hands again recently, and it reputation is getting better again. At 65' you may need to anchor, but the anchoring there is decent.
Maple Bay is possible, and there is a pub there for a decent meal.
Telegraph Harbour, likewise, at the Thetis Island Marina. Accessible thru the cut from Clam Bay on all but a very low tide.
Your size is too big for Wallace Island.
Montague Harbour: Good anchorage. Take the bus to the Hummingbird Pub. Food is ordinary pub food, but the bus ride is famous for fun, to make it a great evening.
Ganges is good, with a few decent places to eat. My favourites: House Piccolo, 5 star, reservations required; Moby's, pub food, good, no reserv'ns.
Check with Ganges Marina for space, reservations likely required, but they accommodate up to 150' boats.
Ladysmith: decent anchoring, maybe moorage at Ladysmith Heritage Marina, though your size may be an issue.
Page Point Marina has what used to be a very good restaurant, though I don't have any recent history with them. Marina may be too small for you?
Silva Bay burned a few years ago and hasn't rebuilt, so there is literally nothing there at the moment.
Nanaimo: lots of moorage options, eating options.

Have a great trip!

My advice is to keep it simple. If they aren't boaters, you don't want to run for hours during the day. Butchart Gardens, Cowichan/Genoa, Montague, Ganges and your schedule if pretty full.

I agree, a nice itinerary without long passages to bore the "lubbers'.

But since they have to ferry back to Vancouver anyway, an alternative would be to drop them in Nanaimo, which adds the inducements of Newcastle Island, "World Famous Floating Pub" and pastries at Mon Petit Choux.

Last edited:
A favourite anchorage of ours in the Sidney area is Russell Island. Nice hiking around the island and an historic farmhouse.

If they arrive in Vancouver, then boat over to Vancouver and meet them there, no long haul to Howe Sound, Indian Arm and False Creek.

I am confused, anchoring in False Creek used to be allowed with a two week pass. Has that been rescinded?

Okay I found this with link for permission to anchor there. The map is confusing, the no anchors are for the main through fair, but okay to anchor around it.

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transp...aters need to get a,and 9am the following day.

This is all fantastic local advice. We have done same with many guests over the last decade. And although we are a bit worn out on Butchart Gardens, anchoring in Tod Inlet and taking your dinghy in for the evening light show--especially returning in the dark with random bioluminescence--is electric. They will never forget it if they are not boaty types. And there is plenty of room in Tod for a boat your size. Just get there reasonably early.

And last summer, we stayed several days in Quayside Marina visiting friends in Vancouver. It is a great place to access hip places for people half our age with amazing restaurants and a stunning nighttime view from the boat.

We remain big fans of Ladysmith. If you reserve early, they can handle a boat of your size. But absolutely do not miss Maya Norte (make reservations) which is a combination Spanish and Mexican tapas place with great central nervous system depressants (tequila) and you can walk back to the boat afterward. And there is the most unhealthy bakery in all of BC--called Old Town Bakery--that has so many great sugary bits that your guests will be in a coma for the morning.

Finally, people seem to ignore Tumbo Island a lot. It is a lovely place for a more remote feel after crossing the Strait. With your boat, you will have to anchor outside the bay, tho. Take the hike into the old homestead.

More information than you can possibly use. Welcome to the firehose they call Trawler Forum.

I would zero in on the types of experiences they would enjoy most. The area is loaded with options upon options. I think about things like:
-Docked in front of the Empress, BBQ on the boat or dinner out and people watch, sunsets are usually pretty nice there
-How about throwing out a couple crab pots and having fresh crab for dinner, would they be into that or would you be the evil brother that boiled a crab
-Ganges Saturday market, are they into unique crafts
-Butchart Gardens via the backside, sounds like you have this dialed in.
-Hiking on Stuart Island up to the old school house to buy t-shirts on the honor system
-Hummingbird Pub Bus from Montague Harbor, not sure if that survived COVID
-Would sitting at anchor 2 nights in a row appeal to them with being able to "get away" from it all. Do they need a day where they can read a book and take a nap.

I think I would try get a sense for the combination of nights anchored vs. docked. Eating on the boat vs. off. Sounds like you have at least one at anchor with Butchart Gardens. BUT if you wanted to raise the bar on landscape then Desolation Sound could be in order. If they are from a flat part of the country they may really enjoy the fjords and hills rising up out of the water. I think I would position the boat in Campbell River for that one given the schedule.

I would not create a dependency for running them across the strait that is tied to a schedule like departing flights. On the day you'd be scheduled to cross mother nature would surely whip up a lovely 30 knot wind from the north and treat you to 6 footers on your beam. I'd stick to a plan of staying on one side of the strait or the other.

Good luck!

A favourite anchorage of ours in the Sidney area is Russell Island. Nice hiking around the island and an historic farmhouse.

+1 on this, for sure. We're here right now and it's a beautiful, serene spot. If your tender can do ~20 kts, it's a ~10 minute ride into Fulford Harbor, with a decent spot for lunch and some basic shopping.

Just did this trip when Canada opened earlier this year. Had never been to Butchart. I was surprised that so much was in bloom, but I guess they have all that dialed in.

One stop I haven't seen mentioned yet, and it was a hit for us, is Cowichan. Public dock was empty then. It's a working harbor with shrimp/crab boats unloading. Nice boardwalk along the shore with shops, restaurants, bakery, something for everybody, including a little maritime museum.

Sidney Spit had room at the dock (for a boat as small as ours), so we got ashore easily. A walk on the beach was memorable because while we sat on the driftwood an otter came out of the water and rolled in the sand right in front of us for five minutes. It never did acknowledge us sitting 20 feet away.

Be sure to check out early whether Kenmore Air actually fits in your plans. I used to fly them a lot. Things have changed with old routes eliminated. Prices are now such that it is cheaper to fly commercial Seattle-Sitka than Kenmore Seattle-Friday Harbor. It may even be cheaper to fly Seattle-Vancouver-Sidney. Of course, if they haven't been on a float plane it may be worth the extra $$.

Great advice so thank you!

I was reading the Dreamspeaker guide, and a website not affiliated with them but referencing their guide (they sold it) published their best of destinations for a 7 night Gulf Island tour, in sequence. It seemed a bit focused on docks though,and frankly that might be the right approach for my sister. Many/most of these places were recommended here.

Their thoughts (I’ll paste the link in when I find it again), with nights as below

One of the advantages of this sequence is that it creates a nice loop.

Link:

https://www.cooperboating.com/gulf-islands-itinerary/

1. Tod Inlet or Brentwood Bay ( Buchart Garden, pub, )

2. Cowichan Valley / Genoa Bay
- go to maritime center. Fish and chips.

3. Telegraph Harbour

4. Montique Harbour

5. Ganges

6. Bedwell / Poets Cove

7. Sidney Spit

Cowichan sounded great but it warned there was limited tender space. That also impacts mooring at Genoa as how visit Cowichan?

Same with telegraph Harbour as it says private moorings take up the Harbour.

I might want to stay an extra day in Ganges? Knock out one or two of the above? This would mean cutting one or two of the other nights out.

Russell Island sounds nice. Maybe stop there after Tod Inlet. Better than Portland Island? And my tender will exceed 20knts as asked.

Last edited:
Your loop ideas

As others have mentioned, it depends on your guests. Will they enjoy picking up and moving every day, or would they like to stay two days at times.

A few comments:

Poets Cove/Bedwell pricey, has a pool and restaurant, nothing to do on shore other than that.

Montague: beautiful Harbour, recommended. You might even swim over by the marine park docks! Restaurants

Ganges: I was just there, great as always. Consider getting moorage at the very nicely renovated Saltspring Marina. Great eatery Moby’s Pub at the top of the dock. Easy walk into town with many more restaurants and shopping

Telegraph Harbour - I would get on the dock there. Walk to the Honor Farm for great baked goods and produce. Just put your money in the box.

Enjoy!!

QUOTE=bowball;1112313]Great advice so thank you!

I was reading the Dreamspeaker guide, and a website not affiliated with them but referencing their guide (they sold it) published their best of destinations for a 7 night Gulf Island tour, in sequence. It seemed a bit focused on docks though,and frankly that might be the right approach for my sister. Many/most of these places were recommended here.

Their thoughts (I’ll paste the link in when I find it again), with nights as below

One of the advantages of this sequence is that it creates a nice loop.

Link:

https://www.cooperboating.com/gulf-islands-itinerary/

1. Tod Inlet or Brentwood Bay ( Buchart Garden, pub, )

2. Cowichan Valley / Genoa Bay
- go to maritime center. Fish and chips.

3. Telegraph Harbour

4. Montique Harbour

5. Ganges

6. Bedwell / Poets Cove

7. Sidney Spit

Cowichan sounded great but it warned there was limited tender space. That also impacts mooring at Genoa as how visit Cowichan?

Same with telegraph Harbour as it says private moorings take up the Harbour.

I might want to stay an extra day in Ganges? Knock out one or two of the above? This would mean cutting one or two of the other nights out.

Russell Island sounds nice. Maybe stop there after Tod Inlet. Better than Portland Island? And my tender will exceed 20knts as asked.[/QUOTE]

I will give you a link to a tool that is a bit a pain in the butt to use but I find it helpful in planning. Don't take this distance to be exact, but close enough for government work, but from Newcastle to Plumper's Cove is 24 nautical miles. Travelling at 7 knots you would take roughly 3 1/2 hours to cross which I don't think is too difficult for newbies. The weather along the Strait of Georgia is benign at this time of the year.

Rain warning! Vancouverites know that when the Pacific National Exhibit (state fair) kicks off there is often rain in the first week, sometimes heavy rain. The PNE starts the 20th of August this year.

https://www.boatbookings.com/yachting_content/map_distances.php

Having my sister and her husband coming out for the first time to cruise for 7 days or so. I’ll pick them up in Sidney BC, and wondering whether anyone has a nice cruise/moorage suggestions?

They are flying from the US and will clear customs prior to getting to Sidney. But if we go to the San Juan’s we would need to clear again there, and at this point they are flying back out of Vancouver (though maybe they could change that to Seattle and take Kenmore back from Friday Harbor or something).

However Gulf islands are great too.

Must see for them is Bouchard Gardens, so I was thinking of mooring in Tod Inlet one night and going to the back entrance by tender. It will probably be crowded and I’m 65’ I’ve been there several times but always off season not the middle of August. Dinner then maybe at the Brentwood Bay Pub.

Victoria we might visit by car.

I was thinking Bedwell (dinner at Pirates Cove?)

Any logical thoughts of best places to go and maybe shore things to do? Ganges?

Should I go to the San Juan’s? Roche? Friday Harbor? Sucia?

What’s the best one week itinerary for first time visitors? 65’ LOA, maybe a preference to stay on the hook, but also to get off the boat to go to the shore and see things?

If they could have come for two weeks I think we would have gone to Desolation. Maybe I could fly them up by seaplane and position the boat there but everything gets complicated. Sidney is easier.
Ganges 2 nights to include a Saturday for farmers market and maybe rent a car to visit art studios, cheese farm, wineries; Montague…anchor, dinner at Pilgrimme(walking distance, reservations a must, or Woodstone Manor (they’ll pick up) or bus to Hummingbird cafe is always fun. Winter Cove is another great anchorage. All of the above are within 20 miles of Sidney. I would avoid crossing into USA because of provision issues and food and Liquor restrictions. Keep it close and simple. Tod inlet is great but get there by 12. Enjoy

Maple Bay is a nice funky marina with shuttle service to Duncan and a great town walk viewing all the Totems there. Cowichan Bay is a wonderful little village with Bus Service to Duncan as well. The totems are really worth the minimal effort to get to them.

7-Days is a long time unless you have the balls to make a run to Desolate Sound which is magical. Personally I’d spend a day in Victoria then spend a few days getting to Vancouver to spend a couple of days there. This time of year you’re in the most beautiful place in the world and Vancouver and Victoria are jewels in the world of cities. I would look for some distractions over seven days with visitors and you’ve got Vancouver and Victoria. You also have a couple of days to spend boating from Victoria to Vancouver through the San Juan’s or follow the ferry route. You can’t go wrong because everything is gorgeous. You can anchor in False Creek which is in the center of Vancouver. If you’re a yacht-club card holder you’ll have access to everything. Unless your friends are seasoned boaters… You are taking a risk trapping them on your boat for 7-days if it’s less than 70’. As you already know, the water is a little too cold for enjoyable swimming.

Last edited:
We were at the Causeway Floats a few weeks ago and had a marvelous time. Well worth the trip from Sidney, but if you are going to Buchart, it can be a routing challenge. How about a route like Sidney to Victoria two nights, Ganges, Montegue, Ladysmith or Telegraph (ferry to Chemanis and the murals), Todd inlet, Sidney…

I realized I never followed up

We spent a night in Sidney, anchored at Genoa Bay, on the dock at Mill Bay, then two nights at anchor in Montague Harbor, and back to Sidney for the final night. Tried Tod Inlet twice but too crowded and tried to get dock space at Ganges but sold out.

It was a really nice trip for everyone.

Thanks for all the advice!

I realized I never followed up

We spent a night in Sidney, anchored at Genoa Bay, on the dock at Mill Bay, then two nights at anchor in Montague Harbor, and back to Sidney for the final night. Tried Tod Inlet twice but too crowded and tried to get dock space at Ganges but sold out.

It was a really nice trip for everyone.

Thanks for all the advice!

This summer they returned and we revisited places like Montague, Genoa Bay, added Bedwell, tried Wallace but full, etc.

Now in Vancouver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom