Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Shaking down

The brand-new USCG ship Waesche has been cruising*off the Golden Gate the last few days, "shaking down."* It looks "serious."<a href="http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/CGCWaesche/">

http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/CGCWaesche/</a>
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Per
Guru

RE: Shaking down

i came across a USCG vessel in the inner marina of long beach recently, was really surprised to see how young the crew was.

also recently came to the knowledge that the USCG have the right to board and inspect your vessel for no reasons whatsoever. (no they did not inspect me though)
this differs great from your auto vehicle where the police must suspect criminal activity to "board" your vehicle.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Per wrote:

also recently came to the knowledge that the USCG have the right to board and inspect your vessel for no reasons whatsoever. (no they did not inspect me though)
this differs great from your auto vehicle where the police must suspect criminal activity to "board" your vehicle.
The USCG is the responsible agency for enforcement of safety regulations.* Private vessels aren't required to undergo scheduled safety inspections - as is the case in some states for cars - and the Coasties have the right to board private vessels and check certain things.* They do not have the right to rummage search the vessel after boarding without cause, but they can ask to see that the Y valve is not in the wrong position, that PFDs are present, inspect for placards, etc.*

We cruise a fair amount in the winter and are usually boarded by crews who are, well, bored and looking for something to do.* Always professional, always young, not always as thorough as they should be, but doing their job, which now includes making sure you are paid up on state taxes and accompanying registration verification.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #4

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

Delfin, I like your new avatar. Looks good.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #5

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Shaking down

Quote:
Per wrote:

also recently came to the knowledge that the USCG have the right to board and inspect your vessel for no reasons whatsoever.
We were boarded by the USCG on our first day out on our cruise down the Atlantic to bring our trawler home to Lake Ontario from New Hampshire... *no problems though, we had all the documents and safety gear etc... they were quite young, but very friendly and polite. *We were also surprised that they didn't even want us to slow down before boarding us.... they just matched our speed and jumped on - of course we were only going 7 knots!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 05:26:34 PM

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 05:28:06 PM
Attached Thumbnails
depart gbm gloucester harbour  scituate harbour 023rev.jpg   depart gbm gloucester harbour  scituate harbour 020.jpg  
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:We were boarded by the USCG on our first day out on our cruise down the Atlantic to bring our trawler home to Lake Ontario from New Hampshire... *no problems though, we had all the documents and safety gear etc... they were quite young, but very friendly and polite. *We were also surprised that they didn't even want us to slow down before boarding us.... they just matched our speed and jumped on - of course we were only going 7 knots!
-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 05:26:34 PM

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 05:28:06 PMI had a similar boarding once with the small boat off an 87 footer like the one in your photo. I was fishing, and they politely asked if they could board while I was fishing, as they had to do one more boarding before they could go back to the 87. I think they were anxious for lunch. Very high quality young folks.*

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Per
Guru

i find it a bit odd that so many resources are spent on inspecting recreational boats.
perhaps it is a drug smuggler prevention program?
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Looks like a Fortress anchor on her bow.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:39 AM   #9
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

The Coast Guard can come aboard at any time to conduct a safety and documentation check. They have the right to check any man size compartments (for crew safety). 14 USC part89 gives them this authority. Man size compartments was redefined during the south Florida drug smuggling days of the 80's. Many very small compartments were found with peeps in them. Not only can vessels be checked, but any shore side facility, wharf or other waterfront accessible structure. Keep in mind these are not "searches" (in reality they are) but safety checks. As with other types of law enforcement, a serious violation would give them probable cause to conduct a "search".

As with most situations in life , if you treat them with respect, they will treat you the same.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Per wrote:

i find it a bit odd that so many resources are spent on inspecting recreational boats.
perhaps it is a drug smuggler prevention program?
In Washington State, I can say that boardings are done for both safety checks, and drug interdiction purposes. And it works. It's also an opportunity to check for boaters under the influence.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote