Ringside Seat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
I've been to Friday Harbor innumerable times since I bought my first PNW (27' sail) boat in 1982, but for the very first time, I claimed one of the "first-come" spots on the inside of the B breakwater. In fact, I am in B-1, at the end by the marina entrance.

Spent two fun filled hours on the bridge, 11 to 1, monitoring Channel 66 and watching every level of seamanship with two-way traffic around a nearly blind corner at the very narrow entrance.

I was amazed at the number of people who show up with no reservation, surprised to hear that there was "no posada" I was similarly surprised by how many were eventually accomodated. A Herculean effort by the very professional staff.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are right across from the customs dock on the outside of the B breakwater. Any activity there?

Sounds like you are right across from the customs dock on the outside of the B breakwater. Any activity there?

I am on the inside of the breakwater, about 40 yards NW of the customs shack. If you enter the harbor, you do a pylon turn around my bow.

Last edited:
No customs activity. I went up Spring St. to their office to ask about reentry procedures, but no one answered the door.

Outside of breakwater is red zone, affording me an unobstructed view of Mt. Baker, Brown Island, and whole harbor.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun perch, AP! Lots of free entertainment on a challenging day, I bet.
Almost as good as next to the launch ramp at some locales!!

Sounds like a fun perch, AP! Lots of free entertainment on a challenging day, I bet.
Almost as good as next to the launch ramp at some locales!!

My Dad in the late 50s used to go down to the launch ramp in Mission Bay on Sunday afternoons and sit in the sand with a couple beers, watching the show. He died before YouTube could prove his wisdom.

We had a group that used to sit by the launch ramp and hold up score cards for launching and recovering boats until some guy got a gun out because he got a poor score. No sense of humor.

Particularly good WiFi here at my spot in Friday Harbor. Think I know why:

Attachments

• 20210725_210849.jpg
    20210725_210849.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
When I was there earlier in July I noticed that nearly all the bicycles being ridden in town are now e-bikes.

Uptown was very busy, lines out the door for tables and ice cream cones, etc.

We had a group that used to sit by the launch ramp and hold up score cards for launching and recovering boats until some guy got a gun out because he got a poor score. No sense of humor.

He could have filed a formal protest to the 'observation committee' but nooooo, he had to lose his temper. Think how he behaves on the water.

I was just browsing Friday Harbor to reminisce -- what happened to the cheese store up the hill? Don't tell me they closed!

I was just browsing Friday Harbor to reminisce -- what happened to the cheese store up the hill? Don't tell me they closed!

Didn't see it, but the deli on Spring st is still crankin' out those sammiches!!

Back
Top Bottom