Old 08-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD
On the CBSA page at https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nada-checklist under the heading Requirements for entering Canada by private boat you will find:

This is right below all the welcoming messages about crossing by land or air. Acquaintances in CA have confirmed this is what they are told when querying.
The problem at this time is the ambiguity around the Canadian opening on Aug 9, just a week away.

There are protocols in place for land border crossings from the US, but still no clarity on a "marine" border.

For example, it makes no sense, that 100 cars can be lined up to cross at Peace Arch, but the Coho can't take 100 cars from Port Angeles to Victoria and that the authorities are mute.

Or that Freddy Fisher can tow his Ranger Tug across, launch it anywhere in BC, but can't cross from Roche Harbor to Sidney.

As they say, stand by.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
According to CBSA agent in PR, the Aug. 9th opening does NOT apply to marine travel. Also Vax or not Vax does not apply, nor COVID testing.

Bottom line "transient thru" will be the only way back to Washington. Nothing has changed from the spring.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction
...nor COVID testing...
Not sure what that means, but to clarify, anyone crossing into canada most provide a PCR test taken not more 72 hours before arrival at the border, along with a quarantine plan in the event a random test shows positive.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
The confusion is real. While frustrating and disappointing, I think it is understandable. The border officials in Canada have a lot of moving parts to deal with.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
Not sure what that means, but to clarify, anyone crossing into canada most provide a PCR test taken not more 72 hours before arrival at the border, along with a quarantine plan in the event a random test shows positive.
This is incorrect. Currently this requirement is for air and road entry. Does not apply to marine.

Of course this could change at any time per CBSA
Old 08-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
This is incorrect and is mis- information.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ravellers.html

Some highlights:
All travellers, regardless of vaccination status, will still require a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result.

…fully vaccinated travellers will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a Day 1 COVID-19 molecular test.

Fully vaccinated travellers who meet the requirements will be exempt from quarantine; however, all travellers must still provide a quarantine plan and be prepared to quarantine, in case it is determined at the border that they do not meet the necessary requirements.

And to further clarify, this comes from the Public Health Agency of Canada, not CBSA.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post

Some highlights:
All travellers, regardless of vaccination status, will still require a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result.

…fully vaccinated travellers will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a Day 1 COVID-19 molecular test.

Fully vaccinated travellers who meet the requirements will be exempt from quarantine; however, all travellers must still provide a quarantine plan and be prepared to quarantine, in case it is determined at the border that they do not meet the necessary requirements.

And to further clarify, this comes from the Public Health Agency of Canada, not CBSA and is provided here by a Canadian.

I suspect that there is a distinction between travelers that interact with Canadian citizens and boaters transiting between Alaska and WA. My son took his commercial boat from WA to AK this spring without doing a thing except notifying customs when he crossed the border.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #28
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinsailor View Post
But it’s not simple and not quick. Both you and they are better off avoiding that situation.
Clearly so. In my case, I was flying from Anchorage to Seattle with necessary fuel stops in Ketchikan and Port Hardy. At KTN I realized I didn't have my passport so I called the local CBP office and was advised, "the guy in Seattle will give you a hard time for a few minutes, but we can't keep you out of your own country. Now, if you haven't filed the required trans-border flight plan, that's another matter."

Not a procedure I would recommend, but it played exactly as he said would. It helped that the long-form security flight plan included my passport number.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:59 AM   #29
Guru

We had some friends heading south and was in PR/Cowbay yesterday, Aug 1st
Same exact procedure as in the spring, no COVID test required.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #30

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I have to admit the scope is a little difficult to follow. You were in Friday Harbor (Washington, United States) and a CBP (Canadian Border Patrol) walks by???

OK, so you ask "what guidance they had received re[garding] returnees when the Canadians open their border."
If you are in the US and are a US citizen, you're not a returnee.
If you are Canada and are a a Canadian citizen, you're not a returnee.
If you are in the US and are a Canadian citizen, you are a returnee to Canada
If you are Canada and are a US citizen, you are a returnee to the US
The context of the OP is not clear.
That is why RT Firefly succinctly posed the question "Whose on first?"
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #31
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Usually you will get a tongue lashing for border crossing violations returning to the US as a citizen, but it's fairly clear that civil fines ranging from a couple hundred (don't have passport or passport card on person) to many thousands of dollars (intentional avoidance of customs and immigration checks) can be assessed too.

"Welcome back to the USA. Here's your violation notice, instructions to pay are on the back of your copy."
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #32
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
"Welcome back to the USA. Here's your violation notice, instructions to pay are on the back of your copy."

You forgot, "major credit cards accepted."
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote