Renting a NP43- Seattle area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimdavi

Vessel Name
Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Make
2019 North Pacific 45
Folks, been following for about a year and trying to decide if a trawler is for us. I'm planning to rent a NP 43 out of the Seattle area for a week this summer. Wondering about easy itineraries for the family. Would appreciate any thoughts, even hanging around Seattle. Have abated on the Mississippi river for years, including locks, but never in the Ocean etc.

Thanks

jim

Jim, a week gives you plenty of time to make a trip up to the San Juan Islands. That's about the most beautiful cruising ground you can reach, and you don't have to venture out into the ocean to do it.

There are too many great destinations to do them all in one week, but I'd suggest a night or two at Friday Harbor, a night at Roche Harbor, a night on the hook at Sucia Island.

Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor are busy spots in the summer so make your reservations early.

Also, learn to work with the tides

FWIW, I would spend no more than a night at Roche or Friday Harbor. They are just really busy. I would spend the time anchoring as much as possible. Going North, look at tides, currents, and conditions. I would suggest you consider Deception Pass or the Swinomish Channel through LaConner.

Are you chartering Gerry's NP43? Super nice guy. I almost chartered his boat before we purchased our NP43.

I would recommend staying close to Seattle if that is where you are chartering. The San Juans are 8-10 hours away. That's a long slog up and back. A long day each way. Not much to do along the way either. And the journey would be weather dependent. Motoring up there is very different from river cruising.

There are plenty of great destinations closer to Seattle that would offer shorter trips and more opportunities for relaxation and exploring. Eagle Harbor and Port Madison on Bainbridge Island, Blake Island, Gig Harbor, Poulsbo, downtown Seattle, Port Ludlow, etc. All are just a short hop from each other. Port Townsend would be great, but that is 5-6 hours north. I wouldn't go farther than that.

Rusty makes a good point. 8 hours to Annacortes from Seattle and then you jump across to the Islands the next day. His list of places to visit is a great one. Poulsbo is one of our favorites, Eagle Harbor is great as well. Port Ludlow is further North but is a pretty spot to anchor. Blake Island is a nice marine park with a wonderful concession that does a salmon bake and Native American show. South is Gig Harbor where I am. It is a wonderful place to drop the hook and explore. Then if you want to go further South there are some very nice spots to anchor in the South sound.

Jim, send me a Private Message when you know the dates of your vacation. I'd be happy to talk to you about all the great places up here to visit.

Your idea to try-before-you-buy is a great one.

My advice is, give everyone aboard on your trip a ring notebook and pen, and have them capture their thoughts and observations about the boat throughout the week. You can compare as you go, or just harvest it at the end of the trip - the information will be very valuable later as you contemplate and narrow the field.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
South is Gig Harbor where I am. It is a wonderful place to drop the hook and explore. Then if you want to go further South there are some very nice spots to anchor in the South sound.

We are supposed to tell everyone the South Sound is a wasteland and not worth visiting...don't let the secret out!

We are supposed to tell everyone the South Sound is a wasteland and not worth visiting...don't let the secret out!

Oh right. I forgot.

Yup, nothing to see here. Move along North. ;-)

If you are not fully committed, another option (to think about) is to bareboat charter out of Comox, where it's a day to Desolation Sound. We chartered twice with this outfit, before we bought our own boat:

http://www.desolationsoundyachtcharters.com

...and really enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom