Old 08-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #1

City: Scappoose, OR
Vessel Name: Double-Wide
Vessel Model: 49ft Custom Power Catamaran
Portland OR to SF Bay

Just made this 8 leg trip. Took 5 weeks. Portland to Iwaco, to Newport, to Bandon, to Crescent City, to Eureka, to Fort Bragg, to Bodega Bay, to SF.

High pressure fuel pump failure on port engine, port prop backed shaft out of transmission coupler, dead kill button on starboard engine, and a few days stayed in port due to ocean conditions. Otherwise a great trip. Now in Pitssburg CA marina for the near future.
wfleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: Dauntless 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfleenor View Post
Just made this 8 leg trip. Took 5 weeks. Portland to Iwaco, to Newport, to Bandon, to Crescent City, to Eureka, to Fort Bragg, to Bodega Bay, to SF.

High pressure fuel pump failure on port engine, port prop backed shaft out of transmission coupler, dead kill button on starboard engine, and a few days stayed in port due to ocean conditions. Otherwise a great trip. Now in Pitssburg CA marina for the near future.
Curious if you went port to port for the adventure or because you had to fix things? I am making the run from Seattle to San Francisco later in the year and I am not sure I want to take that much time. Cheers!
Everything in Moderation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Wfleenor did the day hop route. If you run around the clock you can do it much quicker.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: Dauntless 2.0
I am in Blaine and hope to make the run in May or June. Cheers!
Everything in Moderation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:08 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:

Just saw this thread...a belated welcome to the California Delta!! How are you enjoying the Pittsburg Marina? Any plans to explore deeper into the Delta? Yours is a great vessel to cover lots of water with speed and comfort!

Hope to cross wakes sometime in the freshwaters of the Delta.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
When we made our final run south, we took our time and made many stops along the way, each for anywhere from overnight to two nights and one day. There is a lot to see along the way, areas you might otherwise never see. We stopped at the Port of Newport, Port of Suislaw, Charleston, Port of Brookings Harbor, Eureka and Bodega Bay along the route. All were interesting and enjoyable as I am sure Winchester, Bandon, Gold Beach, Crescent City, and Noyo would have been. Just had to select.

What I find interesting is that we had six stops along the way, the OP had seven and yet we only had three the same. I'll bet at those three we even had different marinas. There's so much to enjoy on the trip south.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:27 PM   #7

No, I always intended to go port to port. Somewhat for the experience and also because I find great crab trap anxiety running at night. If you go at night, stay in at least out at 40 fathoms or more. Seems like there are only rogue traps in deeper water.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:32 PM   #8

FlyWright,

Thanks. I've been boating the Delta since 1970, but just brought my big boat down here. Mostly came to have some upgrade and minor cosmetic repairs before heading farther south. Did you see the private message I sent you about the Delta and other CA bridge maintenance? If you didn't see it in time there may be a recording if you are interested.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
FlyWright,

Thanks. I've been boating the Delta since 1970, but just brought my big boat down here. Mostly came to have some upgrade and minor cosmetic repairs before heading farther south. Did you see the private message I sent you about the Delta and other CA bridge maintenance? If you didn't see it in time there may be a recording if you are interested.
Thanks for the link. I've been busy with other things life throws at us every so often so I never followed up on the bridge maintenance link. Thanks for thinking of me. I normally focus on bridge photos (no pun intended) and leave the maintenance to the bridgees and bridge-ettes. Boat maintenance alone is enough for me to track and complete.

If you like bridges, check out my @DeltaBridges Facebook group with lots of bridge lovers, operators and maintainers contributing photos and video of our operating Delta Bridges.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote