Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe so if we get there early enough. Most likely be spread out between the two marinas. If we had a number of boats we could call the harbor master ahead of time.

Tom is correct, between the two harbors there will be enough moorage. However, Reliance float for viewing the fireworks is the preference. NOTE: IT IS FIRST IN -NO RESERVATIONS BY THE HARBOR DEPARTMENT.

So sorry to miss this particular Fourth, Family gathering here at home base Ketchikan.

Al-Ketchikan

I see Pairadice off the East end of Spieden Island and ASD halfway between Neah Bay and Port Angeles.

Tom, sorry to hear about your trip over the bar. Glad you're now in the (relatively) protected Strait. How did the dinghy and davit hold up in the rough seas?
The dink and davit did very well. However the cover I had made did not. Lost it over the bar.

Tom, sorry to hear about your bout with the stomach issues. Been there, done that and don't enjoy it a bit.

Good luck with calm seas, blue skies and fair winds for the remainder of the trip.

PS. I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks for starting it.

Pairadice is in Friday Harbor, Laundry to do and taking the Admiral out to dinner tonight for her birthday. Hopefully the ASD crew will join us.

San Juan Islands in sight. Flat water finally. 1493758824617.jpg1493758837523.jpg

Hey Tom, just pull the plug on the inflatable.:socool: Easy in and easy out!! :eek: Not unlike the stomach issue!!:rofl::rofl::lol::lol::D

Al-

Pairadice is in Friday Harbor, Laundry to do and taking the Admiral out to dinner tonight for her birthday. Hopefully the ASD crew will join us.

Give her one of her "special hugs" from us!

Well I am currently enjoying Friday Harbor. Have a friend leaving Thursday afternoon. I also have an electrical issue with the generator. Hit the start button, fuel shutoff acitvates then releases and pops the breaker. I went as far as I could in troubleshooting. Called Cummins customer care center, Bill wanted me to check a few things and I am waiting on a call back to give him my results. It not the safety sensors. So Pairadice headed north and I will catch up when I get this resolved.1493854946617.jpg1493854951524.jpg

At the Dock in Nanaimo. Had to stop the boat just before entering Dodd Narrows for a pod of Killer Whales. Admiral couldn't change to the Zoom lens on her Canon fast enough before we got to close and they vanished .
Get the genny fixed Tom, you'll catch up soon enuff!

Dock fees here at the Nanaimo Port Authority are a bit pricey! $79.50 a night, hate too see what it is during the peak season. So we leave in the AM and find a nice anchorage heading north.

Cheers, Crusty

That is a bit speedy. I stayed at the Nanaimo YC last summer for a night. They were helpful and accommodating.

IIRC, the public dock at Newcastle Island is only one Canadian peso per foot. ...and nicely situated next door to the Floating Pub!

I am stuck in Friday Harbor until I get the genny fixed. Maybe a few more days.

Here's a few Pics from Neah Bay sunset (notice the native canoes) to Friday Harbor.

I wonder what happen to the pictures? Try this again.

Attachments

• IMG_4484.jpg
    IMG_4484.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4506.jpg
    IMG_4506.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4514.jpg
    IMG_4514.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4513.jpg
    IMG_4513.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4516.jpg
    IMG_4516.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 151
I'll look out for you in case you decide to stop in Comox.

Nightsky,
We should be in Comax this afternoon. Any suggestions for moorage?

Comox Municipal Marina is the only game in town. Town is just up the hill.

Comox is a nice town. Should be a good stop.

You folks are motoring right along.

Nightsky,
We should be in Comax this afternoon. Any suggestions for moorage?

Comox hbr standby on CH 66 vhf but they will put you on float D which is on the east side of the breakwater. Enter between the end of the rock breakwater and the floating breakwater.

Last edited:
Comox is a nice town. Should be a good stop.

You folks are motoring right along.

Agreed. I was impressed with Comox last year.

Just don't be like me and be confused about that cable ferry connecting Vancouver Island to the island to the East, South of Comox. I almost embarrassed myself by crossing over the cable while the ferry was active.

Tied up on H Dock, now to locate the Wharfinger since she didn't answer the radio or the phone, sending the Admiral cuz she likes the walkabout. Nice place so far.
Time for a cold one.

Crossing the Bar into Comax we saw depth of 16 ft. Other than the patches of dense fog, we had a nice trip up. The only waves we encountered were from the Ferries or locals out fishing.
Now to check the weather for tomorrow, 4.5 hrs up to Campbell River. We know of a great place to drop the hook, called Gowlland Harbor.
Cheers everyone, thanks for following.

We are wishing we were along in more than spirit...thanks for sharing.

Sound like a wonderful (scenery and destinations) and typical (dealing with breakdowns and repairs) trip so far! My hat's off to you guys who actually get out there in the big water and do this! I live in relatively benign waters and weather conditions. It's fun, but not the same kind of adventure!

Cheers!

Now to check the weather for tomorrow, 4.5 hrs up to Campbell River. We know of a great place to drop the hook, called Gowlland Harbor.
Cheers everyone, thanks for following.

Holy Toledo!! At the rate you are covering ground Chief, Tom will have to make 'Flank' speed to catch up.:rofl:

Al-Ketchikan

Too bad about the fog but at least it was clear in the harbour. Will try to come down after supper and say hello. For you have a departure time for tomorrow? Wish I was making that trip this year.

Tom, me is sitting at the docks at Friday Harbor. Should get my genny part tomorrow afternoon and if all is well depart Saturday. I have a question which I will create a post for. Raining here, no thunder and lightening. I was just informed an earthquake just hit Bellingham........

Back
Top Bottom