Old 08-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Sea Tow moving boats out of Canada to Washington

Just got a newsletter from Sea Tow and one of their services now is moving boats from BC to Washington. It also looks like they go in the opposite direction as well:

We’ve been busy, busy, busy! From coast to coast our captains are seeing a lot more mariners on the water, and working hard to provide the marine assistance that keeps our favorite boaters afloat. Our teams are growing, as you will read about in this month’s newsletter, and our captains have been taking on tows and salvages of all types.

C-Tow Victoria/Sidney handled a big job in July, completing a commercial tandem tow of a 75-foot luxury yacht from Victoria, BC to Port Angeles, WA. At this time we have been approved, with mandated safety procedures, to retrieve Canadian vessels from the United States. That is on top of the regular work we’re doing on the water.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Nice service. Bet it doesn't come cheap.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #3

City: Vancouver
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40
Moving a Boat from WA to Canada (BC)

anyone knows if this is possible currently (COVID) to do it?
someone posted about Sea Tow doing it?

I just purchased a boat in WA and although I am planning on keeping it in WA on regular basis the idea is to bring it to BC and put it on the hard for the winter for some needed work - Hence i do not want to do the importation (which would have solved the problem)

any tip/help will be appreciated
Sea Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Buzzard View Post
someone posted about Sea Tow doing it?

I just purchased a boat in WA and although I am planning on keeping it in WA on regular basis the idea is to bring it to BC and put it on the hard for the winter for some needed work - Hence i do not want to do the importation (which would have solved the problem)

any tip/help will be appreciated
Give them a call:

https://www.seatow.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Delta Marine has been doing this regularly, for many weeks. Both ways.
https://www.delta-marine.com/
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
The Canadian version in BC is at this link: C-Tow
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #7

Alaskan Sea-Duction will you be able to share or email me the Newsletter ? just spoke with Customer Service and they informed me that not only they do not provide this service but also that they are not active in Canada ...;-(
Old 09-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #8

update ...sorry for the extra noise..

rochepoint is correct - the services in Canada (and American water ways in the area) is provided by C-tow which is Canadian entity ...
they do provide the service of transporting the boat from US to Canada, they require a US Tow company to pull it from the US Marina and meet with them in the Canadian side ..
the service is $250/hr and is provided to which ever Marina in BC ..
Old 09-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #9

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Model: Willard 47' Dover Trawler
If you are an American and you want work done by a B.C. yard, it is fairly easy. The yard obtains permission from the B.C. customs people and gets a special import permit. The yard people come down with a boat and some of them run your boat up and the others bring back the chase boat. To get your boat back in, the yard does the same procedure in reverse. Delta has been doing this all through the Covid crisis for its yard full of Flemings sold in the US.

I know more than I want about this sort of stuff because my boat was sitting at in Sidney at Al Kelly's for a paint job in December and was not completed before the border shut down. I thought for a while I would never see it again, but Al managed to talk convince Canadian customs that he could not have a special import permit because the boat entered Canada before Covid. From the point of view of US Customs, this is just a commercial crossing and is fairly unexceptional.

By the way, Al Kelly is a marvelous boat painter whom I highly recommend.
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
PM your email address.
Quote:
Alaskan Sea-Duction will you be able to share or email me the Newsletter ? just spoke with Customer Service and they informed me that not only they do not provide this service but also that they are not active in Canada ...;-(
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: Anacortes
Hmmmm, sitting in Friday Harbor since Tuesday, I’ve seen a number of Fleming’s check in at customs.

It’s been so Smokey and foggy this week, it seems I’ve not seem much else, just surprised at how much customs traffic has been going on in general. When I pulled in Tuesday morning, at the point you could see the outer breakwater, the customs dock was still not fully visible. A few folks thought I was crazy (accurate), but at least I was able to get my returned ais reprogrammed this morning so I can start broadcasting again.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote