Old 03-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #21

City: Green Country
170 gal a day about $120...probably last practically forever.

http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit/

PS - Need to supply your own bucket.

Can't seem to get the link to work. Anyway Sawyer Products, .02 micron bucket filtration system.....
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
How about a roll of 2 ply and you can spend your free time separating the plies and you have twice as much.
I've actually thought about how I'd do it if it came to that drastic point! And what about Kleenex tissues split into single ply? I might have to try Peggie's shaken water jar test.

I could always revert to that disgusting blowboater practice of bagging the paper to avoid flushing it.

I pray to the Good Lord above that that day never comes.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post

Can't seem to get the link to work. Anyway Sawyer Products, .02 micron bucket filtration system.....

That's an even cheaper option. I was thinking of a few hundred $$$ for a setup with cartridge filters and a UV light. Only downside to that setup is that it's slow. The setups I was thinking of could be used with a pump to feed something like 5 - 6 gpm. Which means refilling my 65 gallon (too darn small) tank in something like 10 minutes.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I can carry 150 gal of fresh water..... Alone, I think I can make it last more than 2 week.... With a lady onboard also.... maybe a week.
Fuel.... 400 gal. I think I have about 300 gals onboard. With a careful 'move and drift' well over 2000 miles, maybe 3000 at VERY slow speed. Get out to the Gulf Stream and I can ride it, in theory, all the way beyond Canada..... Getting back.... LOL that's a totally different story.
Now, if I anchor out, the generator a couple hours a day to charge the batteries.... less than gal/hour.... 2 solar panels ..... let's hope for sun.
The menu..... although there are lots of canned goods, no meat onboard. The rest of the menu.... enough to keep me alive.... toilet paper... enough for me for a long while. You know that shower hose on a hose? No further comment. Innocent look.
If we remain healthy and are careful..... we an make it.

Now a question, if I declare "safe harbor" can I dock for fuel and call ahead for food to be delivered to the dock?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Al, just get a spare plastic tank for water (25, 50 75 gal, or larger) and keep it on your back deck. I was told our boat carried 200 gal of water, only to pleasantly discover the two monel tanks totaled 350 gal. That lasts the two of us several weeks, if we give it a thought and take shorter showers
Take care on your cruise and keep us posted. God's speed.
FoxtrotCharlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #26

City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
200 gallons of water on board, 100 gallons of fuel, and two weeks of food. If I need to quarantine I’ll be fine. Presently I’m at the dock but Catalina a possible destination if I must truly quarantine.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #27
TF Site Team

I've completed provisioning FlyWright for my departure tomorrow. Here's a short video with a walkthrough. Once I lift the dink and motor, we'll be loaded and ready!

She's got everything I want and nothin' that I don't!

Old 03-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Well, it looks like I've got a vessel that will provide for me over the next 2 weeks so I guess I'll be starting my Quarantine Cruise after the rains pass in Vallejo. I'm not really sure which way I'll head first...San Francisco Bay on an ebb or the California Delta on a flood. I'll let someone else decide. Either way, I'll be stocked and ready for salt or fresh, cool or warm, dry or humid, fishing or cruising.

All I know is that I'll have what I need when I leave. Hope the TP holds out.

Cheers from FlyWright!

There are ALWAYS alternatives!
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet paper substitute.jpg  
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #29
TF Site Team

Quarantine Cruise Day 1 (QC1):

Many who know me know I enjoy an occasional IPA beer as my standard adult drink of choice. While provisioning, I stocked the boat with a case of Corona beer...not to drink (yuk! ) but to give to others. I call it my 'One-a-day Giveaway'. I have 24 beers to share with one condition...I take your picture with the beer for this page. If I am isolated on an anchorage and don't see anyone else that day, I will take one for the team and drink one Corona at sunset for a photo.

After docking at the Rio Vista city dock during an approaching storm, I set off on a hunt for my first Corona victim. I didn't go more than 50 feet ashore when I saw a couple relaxing and enjoying the view and fresh air. After a brief and socially-distant introduction, Juan gladly took me up on my offer to be my first Corona victim. Say hi to Juan! Once accepted, Juan became my first QC Survivor!

The last photo is a shot of my new forward helm with my new to me AP remote, Navionics on the tablet, cellphone, speaker and binocs. Love the view without the need for a ladder.

Stay tuned for QC2 (Day 2)...
Attached Thumbnails
20200325_171739.jpg   20200325_165236.jpg   20200325_180049.jpg   20200325_165241.jpg   20200319_164235_012.jpg  

Old 03-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #30
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
You can take care of any water rationing with the installation of a water maker. Just 150 gpd water maker will take the strain off your water usage.
I still prefer a 12vt as opposed to a 120vt water maker but, that's just me.
And if it all goes pear shaped you have another broken thing to try and find parts for.
(Postal/freight services here seem to have slowed up considerably)

Loving the simplicity of our 1300 gallon water tankage
Rain collection
And 52 gallon water bladder in the tender for top ups.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #31
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post

That is nothing more than a water filter.
It will not make fresh from salt
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #32
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
That is nothing more than a water filter.
It will not make fresh from salt

Correct. The idea was for those boating in fresh water areas where an expensive watermaker is overkill for creating drinkable water from the stuff the boat floats in.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #33
Guru

Let me know when you can change water into wine.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Have fun Al, we'll watch the shop. And remember, if your boat is like most of that size, and has the shower in the same cubicle as the head, you have a ready made bidet - get whadImean..? Cheers,
Old 03-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Peter, I have actually considered that option but had never actually tested the length of the shower hose....until now!

I have a separate shower stall, which is kinda unique in a 34, and the hose is plenty long enough. That will be plan E.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Peter, I have actually considered that option but had never actually tested the length of the shower hose....until now!

I have a separate shower stall, which is kinda unique in a 34, and the host is plenty long enough. That will be plan E.
Dont ask, dont tell.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 AM   #37
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
I've actually thought about how I'd do it if it came to that drastic point! And what about Kleenex tissues split into single ply? I might have to try Peggie's shaken water jar test.

I could always revert to that disgusting blowboater practice of bagging the paper to avoid flushing it.

I pray to the Good Lord above that that day never comes.
You could try using both sides of the TP. Remember to wash your hands afterwards.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:21 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:

Many who know me know I enjoy an occasional IPA beer as my standard adult drink of choice. While provisioning, I stocked the boat with a case of Corona beer...not to drink (yuk! ) but to give to others. I call it my 'One-a-day Giveaway'. I have 24 beers to share with one condition...I take your picture with the beer for this page. If I am isolated on an anchorage and don't see anyone else that day, I will take one for the team and drink one Corona at sunset for a photo.

After docking at the Rio Vista city dock during an approaching storm, I set off on a hunt for my first Corona victim. I didn't go more than 50 feet ashore when I saw a couple relaxing and enjoying the view and fresh air. After a brief and socially-distant introduction, Juan gladly took me up on my offer to be my first Corona victim. Say hi to Juan! Once accepted, Juan became my first QC Survivor!

The last photo is a shot of my new forward helm with my new to me AP remote, Navionics on the tablet, cellphone, speaker and binocs. Love the view without the need for a ladder.

Apparently there is now a run on beer. I saw a photo of a grocery store beer aisle. Stripped bare except for a lot of cases of Corona. And here you are giving it away...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:32 AM   #39
Opu

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by T210DRVR View Post
200 gallons of water on board, 100 gallons of fuel, and two weeks of food. If I need to quarantine I’ll be fine. Presently I’m at the dock but Catalina a possible destination if I must truly quarantine.
I read that the Catalina Island Company is discouraging visitors. Restaurants are closed. Don’t know about grocers. ☹️
Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 AM   #40
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:

BruceK, let's stop the focus on personal protection weapons. It never leads to good conversations here. You do it your way and we'll do it our way...let's let it go at that, OK?
Not my focus at all. You saw my post. It should be obvious to you. Please direct your complaint elsewhere.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote