Old 04-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #81
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
My makeshift face mask from a bandana and 2 hair ties/rubber bands.
Kinda like a condom made from plastic wrap and 2 rubber bands.
Even a homemade mask will dissuade you from touching your face, a serious method of contagion transfer if you touched an infected surface.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #82
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
When you wear that mask into the back, they will be impressed and so will the cops.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #83
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Maybe we need to produce and offer "TF Buffs" with our burgee logo?
I'll get the poll started.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #84
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 04-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #85
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Should be pink........

I like that! If I can find a pink synthetic scarf or dickie, I'll buy it!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #86
TF Site Team

Some shots along the way from Prospect Slough to Rio Vista to Georgiana Slough where I'm hunkered down until at least Tuesday in a storm.

Golden Hour on Prospect Slough
Rio Vista Bridge
Isleton Bridge coming and going
Ryde Hotel ready for Palm Sunday
Georgiana Slough Bridge
Georgiana Slough sunsets

I lost my old windsock on the bow to Davey Jones' locker when the hook failed. The TF burgee has been a great looking substitute until the new windsock arrived from Amazon. This one will be easier to see at night for those drone zone operations. For $8, I also ordered a spare.

I've actually come to prefer the windsock for its quiet, unflappable nature and precise wind direction indication.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200403_191656.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	101125   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_091906.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	101126   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_133514.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	101127   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_133745.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	101128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_141845.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	101129  

Name:	20200405_144946.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	101130   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_143914.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	101131   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_192518.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	101132   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_192710.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	101133   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_195740.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	101134  

Old 04-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #87
TF Site Team

After 3 nights on Georgiana Slough, I headed west on Wednesday towards the Tower Park Marina/Terminous area to my Secret Cove. I arrived to an empty Cove and am anchored bow and stern in the middle with perfect, 360* protection.

The wildlife here in this micro environment is amazing. As the sun set, my little Cove came alive with wildlife! About 40 snowy egrets came home to roost off my port side, two beavers scurried ashore off the bow, an otter or two took a swim off the starboard side, a pair of large hawks were perched on the highest limbs off the stern and big fish were jumping all around. Later, a pair of Canada Geese joined the party. (Typical Canadiens...Always the last ones to the party, unlike the Aussies. )

Took my evening dink Corona Cruise and found a Pirate Ship along the way. Here's the story behind it.

Buccaneer League – a 501(c)(3) charity
https://youtu.be/8asae-Thfg8

In the end, unable to find my next victim before the booty got warm, I was forced to take another Corona for the team. The sacrifices we make for the mission!

It's good to be home in the California Delta!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200407_195605.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	101293   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_165907.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	101294   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_170130.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	101295   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_170333.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	101296   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_170407.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	101297  

Name:	20200408_170419.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	101298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_170750.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	101299   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_174100.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	101300   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_193729.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	101301   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_160947.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	101302  

Old 04-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #88

City: Port Orchard, Wash.
What news, FlyWright?
Binford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #89
TF Site Team

Sorry I've been so silent...my cellphone coverage was very weak. I tried to post several times but the cell signal caused the loss of the posts. Finally I just gave up trying, but I continued posting on my @DeltaBridges and personal (Al Kroeger) Facebook pages. I've posted several short videos and panorama photos on those pages that are incompatible to post on this site. Please feel free to stop by and check them out.

https://m.facebook.com/al.kroeger

https://m.facebook.com/groups/deltabridges

I spent 16 glorious nights at the Secret Cove - a new personal record! It was exceptional as a temporary home base for privacy and seclusion without total isolation, wind protection in a beautiful nature micro environment. It's also only a hour's drive from home so my wife could help me out when needed. The only thing that sucked there was the internet/cell coverage.

Over those 16 days, I'd come and go in either the dink or I'd take couple hours round trip ride in FlyWright to local waterways or marinas. In FW, I'd just drop my stern anchor rode and float so it would be there for my return. I also got pretty good at towing the dink on a short tow line, when convenient.

The cove was visited a couple times by pro Bass Angler Skeet Reese who lives in nearby Auburn, CA. He's a very nice guy and I really enjoyed watching pro at work fishing my cove. (I'll add photos later...)

After 16 days in the cove, I was ready for variety. The stripers are running on the Sacramento River and Georgiana Slough so I headed that way. Yesterday I dropped the hooks (bow and stern) near Tyler Island Bridge on the Georgiana Slough. I'll probably stay here for a couple days before moving upstream.

The internet seems much better here. I'll soon paste some cuts from my Facebook page.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #90
Veteran Member

City: Northern California
Vessel Name: The Janie C
Vessel Model: Uniflite 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Sorry I've been so silent...my cellphone coverage was very weak. I tried to post several times but the cell signal caused the loss of the posts. Finally I just gave up trying, but I continued posting on my @DeltaBridges and personal (Al Kroeger) Facebook pages. I've posted several short videos and panorama photos on those pages that are incompatible to post on this site. Please feel free to stop by and check them out.

https://m.facebook.com/al.kroeger

https://m.facebook.com/groups/deltabridges

I spent 16 glorious nights at the Secret Cove - a new personal record! It was exceptional as a temporary home base for privacy and seclusion without total isolation, wind protection in a beautiful nature micro environment. It's also only a hour's drive from home so my wife could help me out when needed. The only thing that sucked there was the internet/cell coverage.

Over those 16 days, I'd come and go in either the dink or I'd take couple hours round trip ride in FlyWright to local waterways or marinas. In FW, I'd just drop my stern anchor rode and float so it would be there for my return. I also got pretty good at towing the dink on a short tow line, when convenient.

The cove was visited a couple times by pro Bass Angler Skeet Reese who lives in nearby Auburn, CA. He's a very nice guy and I really enjoyed watching pro at work fishing my cove. (I'll add photos later...)

After 16 days in the cove, I was ready for variety. The stripers are running on the Sacramento River and Georgiana Slough so I headed that way. Yesterday I dropped the hooks (bow and stern) near Tyler Island Bridge on the Georgiana Slough. I'll probably stay here for a couple days before moving upstream.

The internet seems much better here. I'll soon paste some cuts from my Facebook page.

Al,

Itís nearly July! Where are you now?

Tak
Old 06-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #91
TF Site Team

What a trip it's been!

What started as a 3 day fishing trip became a 15 day quarantine, became a 45 day quarantine and after 66 days, my car got broken into at the Vallejo Muni Marina. So I had to go home to fix the car and catch up on neglected home duties like mow the lawn, fix the green swimming pool and repair sprinklers. After 10 days of that, I was ready to return to the boat. On June 5, I returned to my boat after days of riots and looting in Vallejo. The National Guard was called in and I was on curfew in the marina. I also had low water/high mud in my slip due to a failing seawall which kept my marina-bound for a few days. (It didn't help that I forgot and flushed the head one night at low tide and pumped silt through my head! ARGGGGGH! Another 1/2 day to clear that!)

I got out of there on 6/10 and am now on Day 24 aboard for my "Freedom Cruise" from anarchy and global pandemic in the California Delta.

I refueled in Pittsburg and spent the night in nearby Middle Slough on the hook. The next day, I landed in the lee of the largest tree in sight in the central delta at Bedroom 1. It turns out that this is a private island and the owner's friends have been anchoring out for the summer here for the past 20 years. They all have their favorite anchorages close to the tules with chains to shore and multiple stern anchors. I like to anchor in 15+ ft depth and a single stern anchor so the tree location suited me and them just fine.

As it turns out, this spot has been unusable for over 20 years due to the cormorants which had taken over the tree. The SW wind would cast bird crap dust onto the boats in this spot. This is the first summer with green trees and no bird droppings so this spot is now mine! So far, it's been exceptional protection in the summer winds and has a perfect blend of boats passing by...everything from SUPs to near-megayachts...but very little impact from wakes.

There are now 9 other boats here and I'm the only one without solar running a generator. Since I'm looking into staying out for the summer, I've decided to add solar and have components being delivered to a nearby marina this week.

Speaking of marinas, I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a covered, secured dingy slip at Korths that provides me with a transient dock to bring FW when needed for a paltry $25/night. I'll be able to park a car, do laundry, gas discounts, pumpout/water, etc and be able to move my dink float in to protect the dink for longer storage when needed. And it's only a short 2 mile ride from where I'm anchored. The way it looks in the world now, I think I'll be staying here for a while.

Got a college roommate coming out for 5 days around the 4th so we'll have a blast cruising around and sampling the local anchorages and establishments that are returning to normal.

I'll add some pics from my phone shortly.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #92
TF Site Team

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200625_164835.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	104356   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_185818.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	104357   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_082012.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	104358   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_210616.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	104359  

Old 06-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #93

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
Hey Al:

Really enjoying your account and photos. I am very envious of your weather out there in California (we are broiling here on the west coast Florida), and your boat is definitely your Ark!

Nicely done on scoring a covered slip for the dinghy. And did you catch any of those stripers?

BTW, What is this? Upper right hand corner has "Sun Power" - have you already installed solar?

Cheers and Wash Your Hands!
Mrs. Trombley
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flywright pic Sunpower rotate.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	104369  
Old 06-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #94
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Hey Al:

Really enjoying your account and photos. I am very envious of your weather out there in California (we are broiling here on the west coast Florida), and your boat is definitely your Ark!

Nicely done on scoring a covered slip for the dinghy. And did you catch any of those stripers?

BTW, What is this? Upper right hand corner has "Sun Power" - have you already installed solar?

Cheers and Wash Your Hands!
Mrs. Trombley
Thanks for asking. Oops...that edit of the post was lost in a data interrupted post.

Those are my wake up and go to bed SOC readings using my Honda generator and occasional boat trips. I'm tracking it to compare to my readings after I install my solar next month.

I have ordered a Renogy 200W system, expandable to 400W, MPPT controller on fwd rail mounts like pivoting wings. It will hopefully allow me to eliminate or greatly reduce gen ops. The parts have already started arriving at the marina and all should be here in 10 days. This is one of those projects that I have considered for a long time, trying to find the best fit and function for FlyWright. I long considered the flexible panels but decided rigid was best for my purposes.

I've been catching 'diaper stripers' at my anchorage during slack tides and late evening. Nothing big but these post spawn stripers seem to have some extra fight in them. I've been enjoying the catch and release until the big one comes along.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #95
TF Site Team

Had a great time with my college roommate and best man, Chris, over the July 4th holiday weekend. Just before Chris arrived, my solar parts started to trickle in...no pun intended. Since Chris departed yesterday, today had to be solar install day!

I actually installed the solar panels at the marina dock the day they arrived. It made panel storage while underway much simpler and gave me a chance for a 'dry run' to see how they ride and affect visibility. All was good so today I hooked 'em up.

Right now I'm getting about 12A with the panels connected in series, midday and no shading. I wanted to hook them in parallel but the clips were configured for series only, as far as I could tell. I might call the company tomorrow to check if the connectors can be easily swapped.

I'm thinking FlyWright's new wings need burgundy feathers to complete the look. (The permanent prop rods are still being engineered so these shown are temporary.)

I had the great pleasure of meeting a fellow TFer who went by as Chris and I were finishing lunch at Moore's Riverboat restaurant deck. I was commenting on his nice GB 46 Europa as he found a shoal right in front of the restaurant. What a terrible place to test the water depth!

I scooted out in my dinghy to see if I could assist. He recognized me from here and knew about the @DeltaBridges photo 'work' I do. He felt the boat was fine and decided to wait it out, so I gave him my card in case he ran out of 'essential supplies'. We visited again during our cool down dink ride and sounded the area around his boat to give him an idea of the water depth. About an hour later he was on his way and reported back safe at his destination with no apparent damage.

I love happy endings...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200708_134636.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	104739   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_141853.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	104741   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_142209.jpg