My Quarantine Cruise of 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a trip it's been!

What started as a 3 day fishing trip became a 15 day quarantine, became a 45 day quarantine and after 66 days, my car got broken into at the Vallejo Muni Marina. So I had to go home to fix the car and catch up on neglected home duties like mow the lawn, fix the green swimming pool and repair sprinklers. After 10 days of that, I was ready to return to the boat. On June 5, I returned to my boat after days of riots and looting in Vallejo. The National Guard was called in and I was on curfew in the marina. I also had low water/high mud in my slip due to a failing seawall which kept my marina-bound for a few days. (It didn't help that I forgot and flushed the head one night at low tide and pumped silt through my head! ARGGGGGH! Another 1/2 day to clear that!)

I got out of there on 6/10 and am now on Day 24 aboard for my "Freedom Cruise" from anarchy and global pandemic in the California Delta.

I refueled in Pittsburg and spent the night in nearby Middle Slough on the hook. The next day, I landed in the lee of the largest tree in sight in the central delta at Bedroom 1. It turns out that this is a private island and the owner's friends have been anchoring out for the summer here for the past 20 years. They all have their favorite anchorages close to the tules with chains to shore and multiple stern anchors. I like to anchor in 15+ ft depth and a single stern anchor so the tree location suited me and them just fine.

As it turns out, this spot has been unusable for over 20 years due to the cormorants which had taken over the tree. The SW wind would cast bird crap dust onto the boats in this spot. This is the first summer with green trees and no bird droppings so this spot is now mine! So far, it's been exceptional protection in the summer winds and has a perfect blend of boats passing by...everything from SUPs to near-megayachts...but very little impact from wakes.

There are now 9 other boats here and I'm the only one without solar running a generator. Since I'm looking into staying out for the summer, I've decided to add solar and have components being delivered to a nearby marina this week.

Speaking of marinas, I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a covered, secured dingy slip at Korths that provides me with a transient dock to bring FW when needed for a paltry $25/night. I'll be able to park a car, do laundry, gas discounts, pumpout/water, etc and be able to move my dink float in to protect the dink for longer storage when needed. And it's only a short 2 mile ride from where I'm anchored. The way it looks in the world now, I think I'll be staying here for a while.

Got a college roommate coming out for 5 days around the 4th so we'll have a blast cruising around and sampling the local anchorages and establishments that are returning to normal.

I'll add some pics from my phone shortly.

Attachments

• 20200625_164835.jpg
    20200625_164835.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200625_185818.jpg
    20200625_185818.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200626_082012.jpg
    20200626_082012.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200627_210616.jpg
    20200627_210616.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 38
Hey Al:

Really enjoying your account and photos. I am very envious of your weather out there in California (we are broiling here on the west coast Florida), and your boat is definitely your Ark!

Nicely done on scoring a covered slip for the dinghy. :dance: And did you catch any of those stripers?

BTW, What is this? Upper right hand corner has "Sun Power" - have you already installed solar?

Cheers and Wash Your Hands!
Mrs. Trombley

Attachments

• Flywright pic Sunpower rotate.jpg
    Flywright pic Sunpower rotate.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 36
Hey Al:

Really enjoying your account and photos. I am very envious of your weather out there in California (we are broiling here on the west coast Florida), and your boat is definitely your Ark!

Nicely done on scoring a covered slip for the dinghy. :dance: And did you catch any of those stripers?

BTW, What is this? Upper right hand corner has "Sun Power" - have you already installed solar?

Cheers and Wash Your Hands!
Mrs. Trombley

Thanks for asking. Oops...that edit of the post was lost in a data interrupted post.

Those are my wake up and go to bed SOC readings using my Honda generator and occasional boat trips. I'm tracking it to compare to my readings after I install my solar next month.

I have ordered a Renogy 200W system, expandable to 400W, MPPT controller on fwd rail mounts like pivoting wings. It will hopefully allow me to eliminate or greatly reduce gen ops. The parts have already started arriving at the marina and all should be here in 10 days. This is one of those projects that I have considered for a long time, trying to find the best fit and function for FlyWright. I long considered the flexible panels but decided rigid was best for my purposes.

I've been catching 'diaper stripers' at my anchorage during slack tides and late evening. Nothing big but these post spawn stripers seem to have some extra fight in them. I've been enjoying the catch and release until the big one comes along.

Had a great time with my college roommate and best man, Chris, over the July 4th holiday weekend. Just before Chris arrived, my solar parts started to trickle in...no pun intended. Since Chris departed yesterday, today had to be solar install day!

I actually installed the solar panels at the marina dock the day they arrived. It made panel storage while underway much simpler and gave me a chance for a 'dry run' to see how they ride and affect visibility. All was good so today I hooked 'em up.

Right now I'm getting about 12A with the panels connected in series, midday and no shading. I wanted to hook them in parallel but the clips were configured for series only, as far as I could tell. I might call the company tomorrow to check if the connectors can be easily swapped.

I'm thinking FlyWright's new wings need burgundy feathers to complete the look. (The permanent prop rods are still being engineered so these shown are temporary.)

I had the great pleasure of meeting a fellow TFer who went by as Chris and I were finishing lunch at Moore's Riverboat restaurant deck. I was commenting on his nice GB 46 Europa as he found a shoal right in front of the restaurant. What a terrible place to test the water depth!

I scooted out in my dinghy to see if I could assist. He recognized me from here and knew about the @DeltaBridges photo 'work' I do. He felt the boat was fine and decided to wait it out, so I gave him my card in case he ran out of 'essential supplies'. We visited again during our cool down dink ride and sounded the area around his boat to give him an idea of the water depth. About an hour later he was on his way and reported back safe at his destination with no apparent damage.

I love happy endings...

Attachments

• 20200708_134636.jpg
    20200708_134636.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200708_141853.jpg
    20200708_141853.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200708_142209.jpg
    20200708_142209.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200708_142213.jpg
    20200708_142213.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I was the one who had the pleasure of meeting Al in the shallows! Al you were very helpful in providing depth soundings and encouragement. Thank you. It was a pleasure to meet you and your friend also. And it was most gracious of you to provide me the gift of anonymity which I have just relinquished. Upon reflection, I was going to take the full and appropriate Captain's responsibility for getting stuck in the mud.......but as I think about it, I now believe that my boat was drawn there through some mystical attraction of my propulsion system to the Delta ground--the John Deere's just seem to be more comfortable plowing up earth than pushing water. At least that's my story. :)

Al,

Love those slick rail mounts! Very nice install.

I was the one who had the pleasure of meeting Al in the shallows! Al you were very helpful in providing depth soundings and encouragement. Thank you. It was a pleasure to meet you and your friend also. And it was most gracious of you to provide me the gift of anonymity which I have just relinquished. Upon reflection, I was going to take the full and appropriate Captain's responsibility for getting stuck in the mud.......but as I think about it, I now believe that my boat was drawn there through some mystical attraction of my propulsion system to the Delta ground--the John Deere's just seem to be more comfortable plowing up earth than pushing water. At least that's my story. :)

Now that made me laugh.
:thumb:

So do those solar panels store vertically and the support rods tuck underneath?

Last edited:
Curtis, your secret was safe with me. Heck, I didn't even post the photo of Grace plowing the Delta that I joked with you about. Glad it turned out so well for you and Gay.

The mounts are SeaDog rail mounts that I hoped would have enough grip to hold the panels in any desired position but the panel weight is a bit too much for that. If I had mounted this Mid-panel width, they wouldn't need support rods but would have protruded into the side deck walkway when horizontal and I didn't want that. Thanks to Giggitoni, I've now got the parts for a prop rod on each set of panels that I'll assemble with the other 2 100W panels that are now onboard. I'm just waiting for the extra set of rail mounts to complete the job.

The panels hang vertically for docking or enroute when conditions warrant. The support rods will stow in place without loose or protruding parts.

It's like Christmas in the summer on the California Delta today! I got my 2 new panels connected in series and laying on the foredeck until those dang rail mounts arrive.

I'm seeing a consistent 20A output and with my typical 2-8A house load, I'm seeing a net charge to my batteries of 12A at midday. I'm very pleased with the results so far and it's performing as I was expecting. So far, it works!

I'm glad I got the Bluetooth option which make the status and history displays available in any device.

The rail mounts and final cabling will complete the job...hopefully this week.

I've decided to retire the 1500W Keurig since it's too large for my tiny 1000W inverter. I'll switch to my old standby Mr.. Coffee style drip machine and enjoy quiet mornings at the anchorage with my new boat neighbors.

Attachments

• 20200718_113811.jpg
    20200718_113811.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200718_131729.jpg
    20200718_131729.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200718_131727.jpg
    20200718_131727.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 34
Coffee! I love my Aeropress coffee press. For a single person, 1-2 mugs, it makes some of the best tasting coffee ever. Just need hot water from a kettle or even an immersion heater. Much less electricity needed, very easy cleanup too. Sturdy plastic, stores in a small space, great for camping as well. Impressed by your solar upgrade and tracking the amperage.

Congrats on your new solar power. Since I have never drunk a cup of coffee I don’t see the need for a coffee maker on the boat. However my wife disagrees so there is one aboard...

I've heard of Sun Tea, but since your using solar power to charge up your batteries so you can make coffee, you now have SUN COFFEE!:thumb:

It's like Christmas in the summer on the California Delta today! I got my 2 new panels connected in series and laying on the foredeck until those dang rail mounts arrive.

I'm seeing a consistent 20A output and with my typical 2-8A house load, I'm seeing a net charge to my batteries of 12A at midday. I'm very pleased with the results so far and it's performing as I was expecting. So far, it works!

Al,
when does this cruise become “First of my quarantine cruises“?

It's one long Quarantine/Freedom Cruise, Eric. I'm on Day 113 and still going strong!

There's no place I'd rather be than on my ark during periods of anarchy and global pandemic.

This was the tree formerly known as the Cormorant Tree until this year. For 10-20 years (stories vary), it's been covered in white cormorant crap. A pair of hawks moved in 2 years ago but the tree stayed white and the anchorage unusable due to the white dust and the stench until this summer.

Fortunately (Thanks God!), I anchored here first before the locals who know the island owner started to arrive. There are 8-12 boats at various times who have been coming here for many years and they're all great folks. It turns out I didn't steal anyone's favorite spot so they welcomed me to my new anchorage!

I love the fact that the largest tree in sight is off the bow in perfect wind protection and is also shaped like Mt. Diablo visible in the distance. There's certain irony and balance there that is not lost on me.

Cheers and Love from FlyWright somewhere in the Kalifornia Delta!

Attachments

• 20200719_153106.jpg
    20200719_153106.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 34
It's one long Quarantine/Freedom Cruise, Eric. I'm on Day 113 and still going strong!....
Looks like being a very long cruise,until we can do something nasty back to the virus. Enjoy! The new solar is a great success.

Sorry for the long hiatus since late July. Shortly after the start of my solar install, my wife decided she wanted to search for greener pastures. So I had to rush home and deal with all that fun initial divorce stuff.

I had to find a new marina and call a pause on the Q Cruise. Now that the dust is settling, I can finally get back to boating in smaller stretches of time. (Thank God I have a boat!!! )

I've got the 4x100W solar panels mounted on the fwd rails now and am testing 2 prototype adjustable prop rods to allow for adjustments to maximize the charge, if needed or desired or I just have too much time on my hands and I want to tinker with them for maximum production.

The final cabling still needs to be completed but they are completely operational and safe. I purchased a DIN gang terminal to tie the system together in the ER but it came without the jumpers I was planning to use. I'm waiting for them to finish the job down below and get the cabling off the fwd rail. I suppose I could use the extra 10G wire cut as a jumper but it's not as clean as I had anticipated.

I'm pleased with the solar performance and find I only need to run my generator for cooking lunch and dinner. About 1-1.5 hrs/day keeps me in the 90% range at bedtime. I typically lose 10% SOC overnight due to house and static loads.

These photos were all taken at the same time to show the tilt and performance. I kinda like the look of the panels as 'wings' for FlyWright. They fold flat vertically on the rail but I need to be extra careful coming and going at my covered slip with side poles. I think I've got the fenders set to avoid a problem but I'd rather not test it yet.

Sorry the photos are sideways. I'm doing this from my phone on the California Delta.

Attachments

• 20201005_140140.jpg
    20201005_140140.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201005_140031.jpg
    20201005_140031.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201005_132806.jpg
    20201005_132806.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201005_132809.jpg
    20201005_132809.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Attachments

• 20201005_144934.jpg
    20201005_144934.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201005_144922.jpg
    20201005_144922.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 293
Dang, sorry to hear that, good luck with the D process and I hope it is as painless as it can be.

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul. As long as I keep the boat, I'll be a happy man.

Cheers from FlyWright

Flywright, hide the boat!!!
I'm not sure if I should say "sorry about your divorce" or not
It does seem to be the season for divorces. Hendo and now you.
They say, things happen in 3's. I'm not married so that lets me out of the equation.
Best of luck and keep in contact, one way or the other.

Well I didn’t see that coming. Here’s hoping all involved will be better off when the dust settles.

Back
Top Bottom