Message for Eric Henning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Eric---

I can't remember if the Private Message function works for you or not so I figured I'd reach you this way.* I got the two photos you sent of the boat you saw on your way north that you thought looked like a locally made Grand Banks knockoff.* Thank you very much for sending them.

The hull certainly looks very Grand Banks-ish.* It doesn't have the GB sheer break halfway down the hull but otherwise it certainly looks like the same basic idea, at least above the waterline.* And Spray, the prototype for the GB36, didn't have the sheer break either.

The superstructure layout is quite similar to Spray's (and Spray was a "sort of" pilothouse boat, too) albeit without Spray's forward cabin ahead of the pilothouse.* The most obvious difference to a GB, however is the fact the aft cabin on the boat you saw does not follow the overall sheer of the hull and it has a much higher crown on the cabin roof than a GB does. But the boat you saw appears to be a very nice looking boat.* Thanks again.* And FWIW, here's a shot again of Spray as she looks today.

Attachments

• spray today.jpg
    spray today.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 123
I wouldn't call it a "sheer break"....more like a dip or a fade.....lol.

I don't know what the correct naval architect term is for this dip in the sheer line. A lot of vessels have it in some form or another, particularly working vessels. And all of the current Grand Banks models, from the new pod-drive GB41 through the GB52 still have it.

With GB's I assume it's a purely aesthetic design element. But I see it so much on working boats, particlarly fishing boats, it must have a reason behind it. Perhaps its a vestige of the much more obvious sheer transition in certain styles of open ocean commercial fishing vessels with high forward sections to meet the big seas they're always bashing around in and low after sections for bringing in nets, long-lines, etc. I dunno.....

-- Edited by Marin at 20:11, 2008-10-21

** I've heard that this type of sheer line is called a "stepped sheer." It's purpose is* to maintain the look and scale of the portion of the cabin above the hull while (in the case of my boat) adding 6 inches to the state room overhead. GrandBanks does not have an actual "stepped sheer" but rather a "sheer break" as Marin stated.

Attachments

• stepped sheer.png
    stepped sheer.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom