Old 08-04-2014, 02:48 AM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Luxury troller

Saw this boat at the gas dock today. Didn't have my camera but managed to grab my phone before it left the harbor. It's a Grand Banks 42 Europa rigged out with a full-bore commercial salmon trolling setup including full size ladder mast, trolling poles, hydraulic line gurdies-- the whole bit.

IIRC its name is Pacific-something and it has a commercial fishing license number on the sides of the flying bridge. It has an aft hull extension which appeared to be either an extended cockpit or a fish hold (ice).

I cannot for the life of me think why someone would want to use a GB42 with its semi-planing hull as a commercial troller, but they did. I have no idea if there have been any modifications to the hull below the waterline.

And no, this is not a Photoshop job.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Thought I could post another, wider shot, but apparently That's not possible, at least not with an iPad.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I was wondering if the name of the poster was photoshopped.
Welcome back!

and interesting trawler troller.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Why would it's planning hull be an issue?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
A FD hull with its keel would be a more stable platform for the trawl operation.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Could be the captain got the boat cheap or for nothing put a bit of coin into the refit and is out making money. I know a fellow who has a 42' Island Gypsy that he picked up for a song. The previous owner had used it for commercial crabbing and she was pretty beat up BUT she's back being enjoyed as what she was built for-recreation.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Look at that broad assed stern Marin. I think when he first saw it he thought "my god just think of all the fish I could pack in that big fat hull". After all once you catch the fish your fishboat turns into a packer. When my dad did some seining w his 103' baby freighter he caught so many fish it almost sank.

Ever noticed seine boats w/o any fish in the hold? The big but stern sticks up in the air far enough to push the bow down. Never heard of one capsizing that way but it sure looks like it could happen.

The lighter a SD hull is the more it behaves like a FD mostly because the percentage of hull cross section becomes lower at the stern. And if made light enough the transom could come up all the way out of the water and the boat would become a FD boat. Basically no submerged transom. But the SD fish boat will become less efficient due to her mass AND her lines underwater will take on a shape less efficient. More like a planing hull. But a fisherman w a full load of fish dosn't worry about much. Especially hull efficiency.

And a lot of fishermen are newer to boating than most of us trawler men. So they might consider a Sea Ray too. Some fishermen started boating in the 40s and 50s and others started a few months ago. We aspire to go boating. They aspire to go fishing. Boating is necessary hazard. Why spend valuable time learning more than necessary? When you see a fisherman working on his boat 9 to 10 he's working on the fish gear ... not the boat. If he talks about the boat with other fishermen 9 to 10 they will be talking about their hydraulic fishing gear ... not engines and gear ratios, anchor design or polyurethane paint.

Bill wrote;
"Why would it's planning hull be an issue?"
Bill because of it's quick motion the flat bottom produces a violent motion even a fisherman can't stand.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I say what's wrong with fishing in luxury?

There's no need to make it miserable if you don't have to.

Many owner/operated fishing vessels are MUCH nicer than pro captained/crewed ones. Many of those are unsafe as well as rat holes.

Me...I would only fish a Flemming.

And I have seen just about every shape and size vessel converted for commercial work and some commercial converted to pleasure yet still taking commercial work...a lot of classic tugs have made that swap.

The discussion about hull shape is utterly ridiculous....fishing boat hulls made SPECIFICALLY for fishing come in all shapes and sizes determined usually by hold size, gear deployment and budget...whatever it comes out as...so be it. Look at all the specialty sized boats like the red salmon fleet for Bristol Bay, AK...they are mostly all different except for length and when someone comes up with a truly winning design.

Look at how many fish boats have been converted just about everything under the sun.

Sure there are certain designs, especially something like the west coast salmon troller that has a shape suited as much for running inlets as it is fishing capability and comfort...also a lot of time a design lives on past it's original hull material roots. Once a design stops being made from a specific material..the fleet evolves in size/shape/power etc...etc...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
A FD hull with its keel would be a more stable platform for the trawl operation.
Perhaps. But an FD hull still rolls. And a GB has a keel.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #10

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Marin,

Thanks for sharing, neat photo.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Luxury troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Me...I would only fish a Flemming.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
It is not built for trawling. It is built for trolling. Big difference.

All older Nordic Tug and older American Tug hulls were designed by Lynn Senour for fishing.

There is a fishboat in Powell River whose interior finish is right up there with a GB.

Hi Marin :wave:
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Welcome Back, Marin!

All you have to do is walk the docks at Fisherman's Terminal and you will be amazed at the boats that are being used for of fishing. One of the oddest looks like a home built trimaran outfitted for trolling, complete with the rusty old Kenmore chest freezer on the back deck. Next time I am down there, I will try and get a pic.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Hey Marin, seem like we both were wondering the same thing.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...-gb-16044.html
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Guru

A fisherman (troller) in Craig AK had both of the boats in pic #1 & 2. He choose to keep #2 and rig it for fishing. It once was a sailboat. Serious fishermen find sufficient quantities of fish only 20 miles out into the ocean. One must live out there for long periods of time to make a good living. The Islander (once my dad's boat) was too much of an ice cream boat to fish outside so even though he loved the Lobsterboat he sold it to get the money to fit out the old sailboat.

Pics #3,4 and 5 are of the Dixie II and she is a proper boat for serious trolling. Many many other lesser boats and fishermen dabble around fishing inside waters. Some follow the fish like Joe Upton in the book "Alaska Blues" (highly recommended) and some fish periodically here and there. They use OB boats, Bayliners, lifeboats and trawlers. None are suited for serious fishing and the GB in Marin's post is such a boat. Better than many since she's a GB and the GB is a good boat but there many more non serious fishing boats than full time high line time tested trollers.

Marin,
Most of the "hull extensions" are aluminum and above the WL. It's a cockpit where the fisherman lives (in his boots) when he's fishing. There's a retired fisherman in Thorne bay w a Mainship 34 that has such a hull extension. Being retired the Mainship remains a trawler pleasureboat but most fishermen in Alaska don't stop fishing when they retire.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0203 copy.jpg   DSCF0207 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0208 copy.jpg   DSCF0761 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0155 copy 2.jpg  

Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
A fisherman (troller) in Craig AK had both of the boats in pic #1 & 2. He choose to keep #2 and rig it for fishing. It once was a sailboat. Serious fishermen find sufficient quantities of fish only 20 miles out into the ocean. One must live out there for long periods of time to make a good living. The Islander (once my dad's boat) was too much of an ice cream boat to fish outside so even though he loved the Lobsterboat he sold it to get the money to fit out the old sailboat.

...........cut for space...........

I hope you are talking about one fishery in a very limited area...because that statement doesn't fit 99% of the fishermen I know from New England to Florida, the Gulf Coast and where I served in Alaska...nor a huge amount of fishermen from other countries.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #17
Grand Vizier

Quote:
I hope you are talking about one fishery in a very limited area...because that statement doesn't fit 99% of the fishermen I know from New England to Florida, the Gulf Coast and where I served in Alaska...nor a huge amount of fishermen from other countries.
Limited area? Half the US fish caught are brought onboard in the area Eric is referring to.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Limited area? Half the US fish caught are brought onboard in the area Eric is referring to.
Name the fish or fishery that accounts for 1/2 of all US fisheries that's caught 20 miles from shore?????....

Natural Resources - Top Ten Commercial Fish Species Search

Here's the 2013 report from NMFS

Top U.S. Commercial Fishing Ports
For the 16th consecutive year, Dutch Harbor, Alaska, led the nation as the port with
the highest volume of seafood landed. Alaska pollock (walleye) made up 86 percent

of the volume and 40 percent of the value....

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/Assets/c..._factsheet.pdf

Way out in front of any fishery is the Pollock landed from the Central Bering Sea...having flown that area for 2 years...and seeing what's brought up ever several hours in the cod end of a net that you can fit 30 salmon trollers in...it's hard to believe that that fishery, plus the longline fishery of the east /west coast....then there's all the ground fisheries but saying that serious fisherman anything when that's where the fishery is located...well I need not say it.

Sure the salmon fishery is huge..but like I said...it's hardly representative of ALL fishermen...and to say only SERIOS fishermen is a real slap to a lot of guys out there.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
Guru

Interesting Scott.
But all the fish species above Pink Salmon aren't caught w trollers at all.

I'm talk'in about salmon trollers of the NW Pacific. New trollers aren't being built in numbers worth mentioning so aspiring troll fishermen either buy an old boat (best choice) or some other boat that may work. And cheap is always attractive as most wannabe fishermen don't enter the fishery loaded w cash.

Trollers like the Dixie II are the only boats that are really good for trolling. When I was a young man many hand trolled w OB boats not much different than one I have in my back yard. But fish were plentiful then. Others fished w traditional trollers considerably smaller than Willy at about 7.5 ' wide and 26' long. Most had small flat head 4 and 6cyl gas engines. But the traditional boats had round bilges w a very canoe shaped hull most of them being double ended.

Most trollers are among the deceased, especially the smaller ones. So many other boats are being drawn into the shrinking fleet. And almost none of them are even close to ideal for the job. So the boat Marin posted as a luxury fishing boat is'nt luxury at all on the fishing grounds. She's well below a 2nd choice but I've seen many worse. But anchored up for the night she'd be hard to beat.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Serious fishermen find sufficient quantities of fish only 20 miles out into the ocean.

Quote:
Sure the salmon fishery is huge..but like I said...it's hardly representative of ALL fishermen...and to say only SERIOS fishermen is a real slap to a lot of guys out there.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT]
As you can see if you read Eric's post, that is not what he said or even vaguely implied.