Old 05-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #1

City: Berkeley
Looking for wilderness in Puget Sound

I plan to charter a trawler (a Helmsman 38) out of Bellingham for a couple of weeks this July. My family enjoys cruising in the PNW for the rustic, untouched, natural beauty, and as such we prefer to end up in less crowded anchorages and marinas that afford beautiful vistas and good hiking, ideally in old-growth forest. We would normally head up to Canada immediately, spending only a day or two in the San Juans and Gulf Islands before heading farther north. But that will likely be impossible this July; the Canadian border may still be closed, and marinas in the San Juans may remain closed as well. So we figured we would head south and explore the Puget Sound region, which we have never done before. So my question, for the experienced PNW cruisers on this forum, is where to go in Puget Sound (islands, anchorages, marinas) if want to minimize crowds and maximize natural wilderness. (We are not terribly concerned about amenities, restaurants, etc., but we will need to stop for provisions now and then.)

Of course, I realize avoiding crowds may be impossible this July, since many local boaters who normally head up to Canada will be stuck in the same boat, so to speak. But I figured I’d give it a try.
Bob

Two Truths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
TT
I'm not sure if too many marinas are going to have welcome signs out. It may well be different in two months. With nowhere to go vacant slips may not be readily available. Suggest you have your charter company provide some guidance in these confusing times.

Under normal conditions Waggoners is the guide to get you started.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: Puget Sound
There ain't much wilderness left in Puget Sound.... Best bet would be around Dabob Bay in Hood Canal....
Old 05-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #4

Yes, I sort of suspected that, but I thought someone might have some secrets to share.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
There are some state parks that will give you a bit of the feel you're looking for.
You can anchor comfortably at virtually all of them. Hopefully by July we will even be able to overnight on state park docks and buoys.

Hood Canal is a good choice for getting away from the crowds. There are two state parks, with decent anchoring at Potlatch down at the Big Bend. There's Pleasant Harbor SP, which is a nice, well protected spot. But no place to anchor, as the dock is the only viable alternative.

"Down Sound" there is Eagle Island, Hope Island, and Cutts Island. These are the least visited and essentially unimproved parks (though Hope is really neat in that they have preserved a turn of the century farm and house on the island). You will typically find some boat traffic around those spots during the summer, but none of them are accessible by car which helps a lot!

At the north end of Puget Sound Fort Flagler, Mystery Bay and Sequim Bay. While all are accessible by car, these are a places you will tend to find less traffic. Sequim Bay is largely undiscovered by boaters, and Flagler is underrated as many like to advance further to Mystery Bay, which can also be a nice, quiet spot.

And up there on the mainland side you can visit Bowman Bay just around the corner form Deception Pass, which is a really nice spot. Swells can make it a bit rolly if there's a NW wind, though.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. TT. Welcome aboard. I've never been there but I always understood ALL of the PNW was untamed wilderness inhabited by savages and ferocious beasts.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. TT. Welcome aboard. I've never been there but I always understood ALL of the PNW was untamed wilderness inhabited by savages and ferocious beasts.
[/IMG]
Hey now, some of our roads are paved! Where'd you find that cute kid?
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We went to the South Sound a year or two ago.
Here we are in Olympia.
Well there’s trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD741983-86A5-43EB-A5E6-C849B9D5A047.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	102715  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #9

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Minimize crowds and maximize wilderness??? I only hope that will be our reality in Puget Sound this summer! Like you, we usually head north to find those things, but also like you, we will all be hanging out together in local waters. Maybe we should all install turn signals!

If you don't have a Waggoner's Guide, the Salish Sea Pilot book series does a good job with Puget Sound waters as a download file. https://salishseapilot.com

See ya soon!
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:29 AM   #10

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
The Waggoner web site is keeping an up to date listing of marinas, parks, etc. just cruise on over
MMSI 368040470
Beaverlake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #11

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Egg Harbor 33’
We are also looking into exploring the South sound a bit more.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Playin Hooky
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
We moor in Tacoma. The wilderness is occupied! Some of our favorite anchorages and places to hike in the Sound include Flagler -Mystery Bay by Port Townsend, Blake Island for hiking, Penrose State Park- Mayo Cove, and Jarrell Cove on Harstine Island.
Playin Hooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Seems to me like you would be spending way too much time getting to and from Bellingham, eating up at least two or three days of your charter. Why not stick with the San Juans, or are you marina-dependent?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Seems to me like you would be spending way too much time getting to and from Bellingham, eating up at least two or three days of your charter. Why not stick with the San Juans, or are you marina-dependent?
That is a reasonable question. There are a few considerations. First, I want to get a sense of the Helmsman 38, as I am considering purchasing one, and for this I want to take her out in a bit of open water, and I thought crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca would be a good test. Second, I want to take a look at a few marinas around Puget Sound where I might end up berthing a boat should I buy one. Third, I have been around the San Juans before, so I'd like to try something new.

Looking through various cruising guides and looking at distances, I think I'll probably not go too far south, but rather take my time going through the Hood Canal, Admiralty Inlet, etc. (which hopefully will give us a bit of wildlife), and then drop by some of the marinas on the east side of the Sound on the return.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:43 PM   #15
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Mind your weather and tides when crossing anywhere near Port Townsend. Admiralty Inlet can be a bear on a big ebb with westerly coming thru the Straits. Its more interesting to cut in at Deception Pass and head south that way, closer to shore, much nicer scenery, better chance of seeing any wildlife though slim at that. You will see seals for sure and eagles, perhaps deer on a beach.
But you come out just above Everett and stay inside. Then you can wander over to the other side and look around.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #16

City: Lakebay
Vessel Name: Catharine
Vessel Model: Kady Krogen 42
One of my favorite places across from Seattle is Blake Island. This area has a small marina that is not so busy mid-week. It is also home to a native american performance theater featuring dance. They also serve traditionally cooked planked salmon for a nice meal. The island itself is old growth evergreens with a trail that circles the island. You can also anchor out of the marina on two sides and dinghy in for hikes, etc.

Rose Loper
KK42 - Catharine
RoseLoper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Whidbey
I suggest you ask this question of the charter company. They should be able to give you up to the minute feedback and some personal insight.

Wagooner's guide and web site are good references.
https://waggonerguide.com/covid-19/

Based on a weeks charter, I wouldn't bother with Hood Canal. You'll burn a day getting there, and another getting back. Plus a day in Hood canal, and half your cruise is over. If you want to see Hood canal you might try and drive part of it before or after your boat trip. It's not know for superior anchorages or better scenery.
BYNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #18

City: Tacoma
The link for Waggoner listing what is open can be found here: https://www.openforboating.com/.
They are trying to keep it updated.
seadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Turning Point
Vessel Model: 67’ Ed Monk Pilothouse Trawler
Wilderness or lack thereof.

Weekend before last, I counted 58 boats just in Echo Bay!

Oh Canada...!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Echo Bay.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	102968  
Turning Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Wotmough bay south Lopez Island is quiet and secluded, 5 DNR free mooring balls there.

Bowman bay & Hope Island are also nice.
Blake Island near Seattle is just gorgeous, the marina is open for day use only at this point, all mooring balls are open or you can anchor out on the west side.

Ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising in puget sound