Looking for cruising guide contributors...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westsail42

Greetings all…

Admins delete this post if inappropriate.

We are looking for active (or soon to be active) boaters/cruisers in the Pacific Northwest/British Columbia to test and contribute to a boater powered online cruising guide (https://www.salishseacruiser.com).

The site is *brand new*, and technically still under test, but we are ready to accept new users and guide content. Editorial contributions are made by email (which can include pictures), even via your smartphone. So ‘full internet’ access on a computer with a browser is not really required (though a fast connection can make things easier).

If interested, see https://www.salishseacruiser.com/become-a-guide-contributor/

Feel free to test drive the site and make suggestions/ideas on the site’s general discussion forum.

NOTE: This is NOT another ‘cruising blog’ (the kind that becomes forgotten and grows stale). And it is not intended to compete/replace a forum such as Trawler Forum.

For me and my needs in BC is gunkholing information. Many guides cover the "standard stuff," e.g. Friday Harbor, Ganges, Nanaimo, Victoria, Vancouver, Olympia, Port Townsend, et. al.

The first reason for wanting gunkholing information is obvious, its nice to learn of new locations to use. But another reason is really safety. Parts of the BC coastal area has only really been partially charted, shoals exist where none show on a chart, islands exist even though not shown on a chart.

Frankly I would have suggested that you reached out to a Moderator before you posted that as your first post.

How much are you paying per entry? I was working on a similar project when the organizer decided to change the terms for submissions. Very little incentive to do this for cheap or for free, and the old “ you get what you pay for” pretty much describes the quality of content you will receive for free.
I have several hundred entries complete with coordinates and detail charts for the right offer, covering from Seattle to Glacier Bay.

How much are you paying per entry? I was working on a similar project when the organizer decided to change the terms for submissions. Very little incentive to do this for cheap or for free, and the old “ you get what you pay for” pretty much describes the quality of content you will receive for free.
I have several hundred entries complete with coordinates and detail charts for the right offer, covering from Seattle to Glacier Bay.

No pay for contributions (perhaps later depending on how/if things evolve). Points are given for each entry but nothing awarded (yet). The intent is to be community powered. There are no ads and you will not be spammed.

You pay nothing to contribute
You get paid nothing to contribute.
The site makes nothing when you contribute.

Frankly I would have suggested that you reached out to a Moderator before you posted that as your first post.

My humblest apologies that I did not first consult you personally. Apparently the post was moderated as it was not approved immediately.

For me and my needs in BC is gunkholing information. Many guides cover the "standard stuff," e.g. Friday Harbor, Ganges, Nanaimo, Victoria, Vancouver, Olympia, Port Townsend, et. al.

The first reason for wanting gunkholing information is obvious, its nice to learn of new locations to use. But another reason is really safety. Parts of the BC coastal area has only really been partially charted, shoals exist where none show on a chart, islands exist even though not shown on a chart.

Yes, the idea is to help fill in areas not covered by the "standard cruising guides". This is not trying to be an online replacement for guides like "Waggoner" or similar. Many printed guides cannot afford the print space to cover *everything*.

Furthermore, the idea is to be more informal compared to printed guides. Think "social media cruising guide" (though I dislike the term 'social media' these days :) ).

Back
Top Bottom