Landslide near the head of Bute Inlet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's one outwash fan you wouldn't want to be anchored on :eek:

Good ting there is no boating going on right now. All the debris flowing through the whirlpools at Dent and Arron Rapids would be a real boat killer.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Why is that? Snags? Instability?

Sometimes the only anchoring opportunity is on an outwash fan, because the water is too deep everywhere else. If there's a landslide up the mountain on that particular creek, it would be like staring down the barrel of a canon with no place to run. Picture a vertically dropping tsunami full of logs headed right for your boat.

We've been in spots where landslides have happened very recently, but haven't been in a bay when one actually occurred. Despite how lush the forests look in BC's Coast Range, the 'soil' is only about 6 inches deep on glacially carved granite. Hard to imagine how it holds considering how steep the slopes can be.

I hope the 7.7 million cubic metres did not create a wave big enough to affect them!

The camp was not directly affected but the environmental impact could be substantial.

Salmon spawns in Elliott Creek and the Southgate River have been obliterated. New sedges, grasses and other estuarial vegetation which make up the brown bear’s breakfast, will be affected, possibly forcing the bears to move on.

Nature will adjust, it always does.

This article puts the slides size into perspective and the geological comments make it interesting.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ek-lake-glacial-slide-triggers-wave-1.5840743

Worked near Mt. Hornmouth / Taseko Lakes years ago probably 100 km east of Bute Inlet. This part of BC is spectacular!
Topography is amazing makes one realize how mother powerful nature is.

The Lituya Bay AK rock slide and tsunami of 1958 is a worst-cast example of what could happen. I've read that there are several risk areas in Prince William Sound AK that are vulnerable for big slides and a potential repeat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Lituya_Bay,_Alaska_earthquake_and_megatsunami

When they did a modern survey of the bottom of Douglas Channel a few years ago, they discovered an unknown fault line and two nearby submarine landslides of the same size as the Lituya Bay slide at over 30 million square metres each.

Granted, these were underwater, but also moved a lot of water.

When the local First Nations, the Haisla, came to this area there was nothing but scrub brush for 1.5 kilometres inland from the head of Douglas Channel.

They met the Kitsumkalum people from the Skeena Valley because the Haisla saw strips of cedar bark floating down the Kitimat River, so went upstream to meet them...this tells me this happened well after the glaciers left and there were mature trees on the valley floor.

Why scrub brush 1.5 kilometres in from the high tide line? Why was the place not inhabited because the Kitimat River had big salmon and oolichan runs? Tsunami?

Douglas Channel, the Kitimat Valley, and Kitsumkalum Valley all link together through the Coast Mountains. It takes a lot of effort to clear a path through a mountain range.

There are six hot springs, all on the eastern margin, and Canada's youngest volcano is at its northern end.

Really big stuff happens on this whole coast...it's just that it happens on geologic timescales and not so much during the recent past when things were written down.

Then there's that Canary Island volcano with a 25 kilometre slope threatening to slide which faces North America's east coast...

Last edited:
I am not familiar with this area other than what I have read, a place I plan to visit. But I wonder how close the slide was to Michel Piffer's lodge that is for sale and can't be sold. Starting price was $28 million but I will be surprised if it sells for 5 million. The location is too isolated, with weather that I'm sure isn't great most of the year.

https://fawnbluff.com/

The two places are something like 30 nm apart.

"Remote". A "remote" location is where there is a gigantic landslide, and a month goes by before anyone notices. Gotta love remote locations :thumb:

A dock friend and I were out buddy boating a couple of weeks ago and when we
came around the bottom of Quadra Island into Sutil Channel we encountered a lot of debris in the water. There were logs, trees, branches, you name it. Our assumption at the time was that the recent king tides had caused debris on the shores to float away, although that didn't explain the fresh stuff. Certainly ensured that we anchored before dark!

When they did a modern survey of the bottom of Douglas Channel a few years ago, they discovered an unknown fault line and two nearby submarine landslides of the same size as the Lituya Bay slide at over 30 million square metres each.

Granted, these were underwater, but also moved a lot of water.

When the local First Nations, the Haisla, came to this area there was nothing but scrub brush for 1.5 kilometres inland from the head of Douglas Channel.

They met the Kitsumkalum people from the Skeena Valley because the Haisla saw strips of cedar bark floating down the Kitimat River, so went upstream to meet them...this tells me this happened well after the glaciers left and there were mature trees on the valley floor.

Why scrub brush 1.5 kilometres in from the high tide line? Why was the place not inhabited because the Kitimat River had big salmon and oolichan runs? Tsunami?

Douglas Channel, the Kitimat Valley, and Kitsumkalum Valley all link together through the Coast Mountains. It takes a lot of effort to clear a path through a mountain range.

There are six hot springs, all on the eastern margin, and Canada's youngest volcano is at its northern end.

Really big stuff happens on this whole coast...it's just that it happens on geologic timescales and not so much during the recent past when things were written down.

Then there's that Canary Island volcano with a 25 kilometre slope threatening to slide which faces North America's east coast...
Grief Point in Powell River is one giant landslide (or slip) as well. Quaternary cover.

Learned a little from some geotechnical engineers when I was project manager for seismic upgrades. Things never looked quite as permanent again...

BC is a pretty active place, geotechnically.

A dock friend and I were out buddy boating a couple of weeks ago and when we
came around the bottom of Quadra Island into Sutil Channel we encountered a lot of debris in the water. There were logs, trees, branches, you name it. Our assumption at the time was that the recent king tides had caused debris on the shores to float away, although that didn't explain the fresh stuff. Certainly ensured that we anchored before dark!

It sounds like our experience was unrelated to Bute Inlet, as we were too early. Instead it was probably the result of a log boom breach somewhere up Toba Inlet that occurred earlier in November.

There were logs, trees, branches, you name it. Our assumption at the time was that the recent king tides had caused debris on the shores to float away, although that didn't explain the fresh stuff.
Instead it was probably the result of a log boom breach somewhere up Toba Inlet that occurred earlier in November.

Log booms don’t have “trees, branches, you name it.” Your first guess was half right; large tides and record rain runoff, in Bute and Toba.

Earth flows and jökulhlaups (explanation later) are a couple other things the Kitimat Valley is known for, at least with geo-geeks.

After the local ice sheet melted away, the valley floor rebounded upwards. Sea shells in sediment have been found 170 meters above the current sea level.

This left tens of metres thick deposits of glaciomarine clay layers up the valley. These were formed when glaciers stabilized for a while and fine silty clay would be deposited on the ocean floor beyond the tidal flats.

The salt in the clay, left over after being formed in salt water, would columnize (that a word?) and become less stable over time. It doesn't take much to set one of these deposits off, but once moving they can ooze over the landscape for a kilometre or more on very gently sloping ground.

Jökulhlaup is an Icelandic term for a flood event after an ice dam melts through and releases a lake behind it.

The Hunter Creek Valley is a small, narrow tributary valley in the upper Kitimat that has a right hand turn, then 5 kilometres of steep 4,000 to 5000 foot avalanche zones on both sides of the valley.

Occasionally, there are so many avalanches that the valley gets plugged up and it takes a while for the creek to melt through. We've had 7' of snow in two days here in town, so it must have been going crazy in the mountains.

The creek itself is easy to walk across and is about 60 feet wide. It has an outwash fan 1.5 kilometres wide and has pushed the Kitimat River to the far side of the valley, which is hugely disproportional to the size of the creek.

The old logging bridge across it was on cement abutments, over 100' long, and got taken out by one of these events. I went looking for it on the outwash fan, and couldn't find a single piece of it...the only things left were the abutments.

Would love to be there (upslope a bit) to see that happen!

(Sorry for the jumble of feet & metres...Canada went metric when I was in elementary school).

Last edited:
That would have been an awesome sight and sound to experience if there would have been a safe way to do it. Massive land movements have fascinated me for some years now.

Going through Calm Channel on the 23rd there was several acres of debris up against Maurelle Island, across from Church House, which will eventually make its way down to meet the cruisers.

By the time it was discovered, when wood started to flow out of Bute Inlet, it was so chewed up, the log salvage boys couldn’t get beer money out of it.

For those unfamiliar with the area, this Google Map shows 35 mile long Bute Inlet running north up the middle, with Maurelle Island at the bottom.
Google Maps

Zooming in on this satellite view, to the east side of Maurelle Island, you will see the small bay just below Hole in the Wall and Bernard Point, where the debris is sitting up against the shore.
Google Maps

And a chart of the area, showing Calm Channel and Hole in the Wall, upper right.
OceanGrafix — CHS Nautical Chart CHS3539 Discovery Passage

Last edited:
soin2la,
Thanks for the very informative post.

@Soin2la, Church House, what condition is it in, anyone still living there? I spent several months there early 70's.

As far as I know it has been abandoned for 12-15 or more years. Not to say that some people don't visit it.
THe church spire has fallen and many of the buildings are in serious disrepair. If I remember correctly even the pier is in trouble.

This is from our last trip past 3 yr ago. Unfortunately we missed last year,2019, due to engine trouble. The rest of the group were able to go.

Too bad. I am guessing once the elders passed the younger ones moved out. I have good memories.

To update the debris situation; the large collection just south of Hole in the Wall has mostly flushed out and is now strewn all the way down to the Fraser and beyond.

Tows coming out of Bute are picking up enough junk, to obscure the headstick by the time they reach Howe Sound.

Mermaid is full of salvage which can’t be cut or moved until it’s surveyed and a home is found for stumpage.

Small prop shops should have a good summer

To update the debris situation; the large collection just south of Hole in the Wall has mostly flushed out and is now strewn all the way down to the Fraser and beyond.

Tows coming out of Bute are picking up enough junk, to obscure the headstick by the time they reach Howe Sound.

Mermaid is full of salvage which can’t be cut or moved until it’s surveyed and a home is found for stumpage

Who corralled all of the salvage that is stored in Mermaid?

And is all of the timber that is south just fair game for who ever wants to retrieve it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom