Lake Washington, Seattle guest mooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Where is the most affordable marina on Lake Washington for guest moorage? I am not a club member anywhere.
I would like to sail there on some weekends, maybe for a week, sometimes. I know I can anchor at the north tip, which is very affordable. However, Kirkland waterfront marina is a bit pricey for me.
Thanks.

Kirkland has a public dock. I’m not familiar with the price but it was always reasonable in the past.

Kirkland has a public dock. I’m not familiar with the price but it was always reasonable in the past.

I think it is over a dollar/foot. So, two nights for a weekend is over 100 bucks.

Lake Washington is not a poor mans cruising ground.
There is good anchoring in the very south end by Seward Park.
I was going to go there to make speed/rpm charts at every 100rpm intervals. My motivation is mostly gone now so don’t know if I’ll ever do it.
These days there’s not a measured nautical mile marked off on the floating bridge (been gone for some time) so don’t know how one would do a speed run.

I don't know if it's still this way, but the Mackinac Island Yacht Club used to charge a token amount ($75/year) for membership because they didn't have any docks. People from Chicago and Detroit would join there just to be able to get recip moorage at other clubs.

Might be worth checking in to.

I was going to go there to make speed/rpm charts at every 100rpm intervals. My motivation is mostly gone now so don’t know if I’ll ever do it.
These days there’s not a measured nautical mile marked off on the floating bridge (been gone for some time) so don’t know how one would do a speed run.

You could simply use a GPS to give you a distance.

My wife and I were thinking about going into Lake Washington this summer. I’ve never done it and we were wondering about guest moorage options or places to anchor as well.

dhays, If I remember correctly you're a member of TYC. You should have reciprocal privileges at Queen City YC, Seattle YC, Meydenbauer Bay YC, and Rainier YC. Also, Andrews Bay by Seward Park is the only approved anchorage in Seattle.

dhays, If I remember correctly you're a member of TYC. You should have reciprocal privileges at Queen City YC, Seattle YC, Meydenbauer Bay YC, and Rainier YC. Also, Andrews Bay by Seward Park is the only approved anchorage in Seattle.

Thanks. You are right, I'm a TYC member. I figured I'd check out the reciprocal options. I will be cruising around the Sound in July and was thinking mid-week might be the best option for getting in and out of the lake and finding some reciprocal dock space.

Thanks. You are right, I'm a TYC member. I figured I'd check out the reciprocal options. I will be cruising around the Sound in July and was thinking mid-week might be the best option for getting in and out of the lake and finding some reciprocal dock space.

I highly recommend anchoring in Andrews Bay mid-week. It's a great spot and you will avoid the craziness on the weekend. I would love to join you but we will be up North by then for the Summer.

I highly recommend anchoring in Andrews Bay mid-week. It's a great spot and you will avoid the craziness on the weekend. I would love to join you but we will be up North by then for the Summer.

I will check out the anchorage, thanks.

I'd rather be North during that time as well, but my wife wants to stick around the Sound. One of these years I'd like to semi-retire so I can get some longer time away from the office.

Lake Washington is not a poor mans cruising ground. There is good anchoring in the very south end by Seward Park.

I also see yachts sometimes, anchoring in Kenmore in front of the public park area.

$1 a foot for transient dockage in the middle of a major metropolitan area is unaffordable? My advice: sell the boat!

caltexflanc,
Not at all.
Just keep going away from urban crazy w too many people.
There’s a whole wide world out there that isn’t crazy.
Not that I don’t like the city. I do and go there when I feel like dealing w the traffic. We go to Ballard, Volunteer Park and go to the many many restaurants that aren’t high bucky buck.
I’m w LeoKa. I wouldn’t pay $50 bucks a night either.

Re Kenmore that’s not high class when a yacht needs to anchor out of the harbor

Andrews Bay (near Seward Park) allows overnight anchorage for 72 hours. Busy on a summer weekend but quiet during the week. There are few marinas on Lake Washington, many on Lake Union...all seem to cater to permanent moorage with limited to no transient moorage.

Several YCs have reciprocal moorage on Lake Union, Rainier YC is on Lake Washington but I’m unsure of reciprocal options there.

We anchor in Andrews all the time. Super fun and close to our land home.

Oh and don’t forget the free pump out boat on both lakes (tipping is appreciated).

Meydenbauer Bay YC is on Lake Washington, in downtown Bellevue. At Rainier we have 70 ft of moorage at the end of E dock for reciprocal moorage. However, there is not a lot to see or do in Rainier Beach. It mostly gets used at Seafair and for our junior officer and commodore balls.

$1 a foot for transient dockage in the middle of a major metropolitan area is unaffordable? My advice: sell the boat!

Are you suggesting that I am cheap? Maybe I am. However, spending a 2 nights weekend there for about 120-160 dollars, is not my cup of tea. That money can be spent on repairs, maintenance, upgrades.
The truth is, I have personal reasons to go there, close to Kirkland, not because I want to. You are correct, it is not my area, when it comes to pricing.
I think I will just stick with anchoring.

Try Harbor Village Marina. They're in Kenmore. The slips are privately owned but owners will rent them. There is also some space on the dock.

We kept our boat there for several years. It's nice and quiet. The approach can be tricky, depending on your draft. The Harbormaster, Marcy, is very helpful (assuming she's still there). I will warn you that I used to call it Spiderhaven because the spider infestations have to be seen to be believed - but if you put a little peppermint or wintergreen oil in your cabin it will keep them away.

Try Harbor Village Marina. The Harbormaster, Marcy, is very helpful (assuming she's still there). .

Yes, I talked to Marcy few times in the past. She is very nice.
Unfortunately, the charge/foot for guest moorage is the same as in Kirkland marina.

With any GPS there is no longer a need to run a meanured mile. Instead fiund good area and run two legs separated by 180 degrees. The mean value is you rspeed trhough the water at that RPM. Do this over a range of RPMs and you have a power curve.

Plot the data on a graph and paste it near the helm. The, using your GPS, look at the value for speed over the ground. Then subtract the spped based on the chart. The difference will be the effect of currenst and wind!

SeaJew,
I usually run a bit on a given course and mentally average the GPS indicated speed. Then run at 180 (opposite direction) and observe and visually/mentally average the speed indicated on the GPS in the that direction just the way I did the first observation. Then split the difference as if I ran 5.5 knots one way and 6.5 knots the other way I assume I’m going 6 knots.

Usta do that fairly often but trying to repeat things is usually a good way to verify your correctness. Since that dosn’t come out perfect most to much of the time I assume it’s not that close to perfect. But since my “need to know” was mostly mostly all in my head to nonexistent I eventually quit the exercise. Going in circles w a slow boat trying to get somewhere is something many wouldn’t admit to doing.

But if I was to find myself in Lake Washington I’d make a few runs at or about cruising speed (6.15) knots ... well just for fun.
I’d also run at WOT in several directions and see what my top speed is. Several to many times I’ve said “I don’t know for sure if Willy (my boat) can make 7 knots. 7 knots is her hull speed as her WLL is 27.5’.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's still this way, but the Mackinac Island Yacht Club used to charge a token amount ($75/year) for membership because they didn't have any docks. People from Chicago and Detroit would join there just to be able to get recip moorage at other clubs.
Might be worth checking in to.

Well that piqued my interest. Googled it and: Annual dues now, $350. Initiation fee, $950. Plus a waiting list. Membership limited to 310.

Is Lake Union acceptable? What are your dates? What size boat?

I will be out of my slip from mid August to early September. I can work out a sublet.

Is Lake Union acceptable? What are your dates? What size boat?
I will be out of my slip from mid August to early September. I can work out a sublet.

Thanks, but I am only looking for weekend days. Maybe once a month. Lake Union is fine, but I need to go there for few years.

Back
Top Bottom