Kinship’s Summer Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heading South from Port Townsend. Fog rolled into Admiralty inlet and this is what the entrance to the Port Townsend canal looks like. IMG_20190726_092435.jpeg

Fog rolled into Admiralty inlet and this is what the entrance to the Port Townsend canal looks like.

God bless radar and AIS.

Looking West from Admiralty Inlet towards the Olympic Mountains. A bank of fog along the shore just beyond the sailboat.IMG_20190726_101616.jpeg

Stunning! Looks like y’all are having an excellent cruise!

Heading towards Agate Passage on the way to Poulsbo.IMG_20190726_124441.jpg

Enjoyed an afternoon in Poulsbo. My daughter “shopped” for a time while I entertained my 22 month old grandson. We then came back to the boat around 4:30 when the real entertainment began.

There was an old guy (as in at least 10 years older than my 61 years) who was coming into the marina in an old sailing catamaran. The wind had picked up a bit blowing maybe 15kts. The guy was single-handing and first tried going down a fairway between D and E dock and didn’t find a slip. He was able to turn around in the wide fairway (barely) and then came out and down between E and F dock where we are. This is a much narrower fairway as the slips on either side are only 30’. The marina will allow longer boats such as ours to use them any.

The guy didn’t find a slip as many were showing they were reserved. He tried to turn around but he has a single engine with some type of outdrive. Every time he tried to reverse the outdrive would pop up making it ineffective in reverse. The wind was blowing from F dock to E dock and we are on E dock facing F. He didn’t get turned around completely and ended up colliding with both pilings at the end of a couple fingers. We tried to fend him off and ask him what his intention was. He just said to shove his bow out and he would go out and try the other fairway again. Well, the wind was blowing him hard against the pilings and although we got his bow off the piling, it just meant that he was pointed at the side of the bow in the slip on the other side of that piling.

It took both my son-in-law (6’4” 250lbs) and myself sitting on my bow pushing off his boat with our feet to get him so clear our bow. He now has at least two badly bent stanchions.

He got out of the fairway and then decided to try the same thing again. Once more he failed and tried to turn around. We had to fend him off our bow once moor but about 5 of us were able to get him stern in to the double slip next to us. Three of us told him to let us just tie up there and go ask the harbormaster where he could go (or if he could just stay there despite there being reserved signs on that slip.

The guy mumbled something and took off out of the slip and out of the fairway and once again when between D and E dock and after some more pinball moves off the pilings he got into a reserved 40’ double slip. This time, he did decide to go talk to the harbormaster. Not sure what he was told be before long he left that slip and once more returned to terrorize everyone between E and F dock. He barely missed us and almost hit two other boats, bouncing off a couple more pilings in the process. Eventually the folks on F dock were able to get him into a slip.

My wife thinks that he is impaired in some way. Kind of an odd affect and he didn’t seem to be concerned at all that everyone in the marina were frantically trying to keep him from wreaking our boats and damaging his. At one point he made the comment that the current was really strong and giving him problems. There was no current, it was just the very obvious wind creating the problem. Possibly some type of dementia as I didn’t get the impression it was drugs or alcohol.

I’m wondering if he is new to this older cat. He kept trying to have the cat makes turns that a catamaran simply can’t make. They don’t turn like monohull sailboats with a spade rudder.

Anyway, once were were sure that he wasn’t going to try and move again, we finally went off to diner.

Wow. Crazy.

Poor catamaran dude. I feel bad for him. That will probably be me someday, wondering why everyone is looking at me funny while I try to dock my boat. [emoji15]

Yesterday we had a couple guys pull into the marina in an old wood sailboat with an old standup jet ski lashed to the side for propulsion. They were looking for the boat ramp. By the way they were going about things I think the jet ski was the only auxiliary they had and that is how they got out on the water that day. Got to hand it to them.

Don't know how I missed all the catamaran fun as I was putzing around on my boat on D dock all afternoon and early evening. Before leaving for home I walked down E dock to say hello only to find Kinship empty. You all must have been at dinner. Maybe I'll catch you tomorrow morning before you head for home.

We purchased our boat in Poulsbo and really enjoyed the waterfront area during our many trips there. The Puget Sound area is simply stunning - hope to do some cruising there in retirement.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Yesterday we had a couple guys pull into the marina in an old wood sailboat with an old standup jet ski lashed to the side for propulsion. They were looking for the boat ramp. By the way they were going about things I think the jet ski was the only auxiliary they had and that is how they got out on the water that day. Got to hand it to them.

Don't know how I missed all the catamaran fun as I was putzing around on my boat on D dock all afternoon and early evening. Before leaving for home I walked down E dock to say hello only to find Kinship empty. You all must have been at dinner. Maybe I'll catch you tomorrow morning before you head for home.

Please do.

I was surprised by the rain this morning. I went to sleep with the forward hatch open. I woke up around 6:00am to find that water was dripping onto our birth in the forward cabin. Large wet spot. I closed the hatch, got a towel to try to mop up the water, closed the ports, started a fan and the small dehumidifier and then headed to town for coffee and the requisite visits to Sluys’s. Through it all my wife never woke up and she didn’t notice the large wet spot when she got up a couple hours later.

I think my wife and daughter are going to do some more shopping this morning and I’m going to beg off. Of course, that means my daughter needs to actually get dressed...

So I should be around if you come by.

We purchased our boat in Poulsbo and really enjoyed the waterfront area during our many trips there. The Puget Sound area is simply stunning - hope to do some cruising there in retirement.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Yeah, Puget Sound is pretty nice. This trip I made it to some places that I’ve never been before and there are still many more that have yet to be explored.

Before leaving for home I walked down E dock to say hello only to find Kinship empty. You all must have been at dinner. Maybe I'll catch you tomorrow morning before you head for home.

As the rest of the crew was shopping, I walked over to your dock. No one there but I left a boat card stuck in your door. Assuming it was D29, very nice Ocean Alexander! You will really enjoy that boat.

As the rest of the crew was shopping, I walked over to your dock. No one there but I left a boat card stuck in your door. Assuming it was D29, very nice Ocean Alexander! You will really enjoy that boat.

Yep, you found me. Did you close the upper deck hatch I left open yesterday? The rain put us off our boat plans today, instead I am going around the house spraying wasp nests up under the roof overhangs. I'll file the card, I'm sure we'll connect eventually.

Yep, you found me. Did you close the upper deck hatch I left open yesterday? The rain put us off our boat plans today, instead I am going around the house spraying wasp nests up under the roof overhangs. I'll file the card, I'm sure we'll connect eventually.

LOL, no I didn’t notice the open hatch. I only stepped in the cockpit to stick the card in the door but I did peek in the windows. ;-)

Our wet quilt was dry by the end of the day. It will be even drier and warmer over the next couple days so things will dry out quickly.

We left Poulsbo just before noon and had a pleasant trip back to Gig Harbor to drop off the kids and grandson.

On the way South through Colvos Passage I had noticed what seemed to be a larger than usual gaggle of fishing boats across the passage near Point Richmond. As we got closer, I heard a hail on 16 to “the pleasure boat approaching Point Richmond in Colvos Passage. I answered the hail in case he meant me. Turns out there was an open water swim event crossing the passage from Vashon Island to Point Richmond. They asked me to hug the Pt. Richmond side to clear the lead swimmers but since I go slow I suggested I swing to the Vashon Island side and go behind the trailing swimmer which I could spot with my really nice Fujinon 14 x 40 stabilized binoculars. We worked out a plan that was safe for the swimmers and relatively convenient for me.

Shortly after a chase boat to quickly approached me with a kid in the bow waving an orange flag to warn me. I idled back and let them know the plan I had worked out with the traffic control person and they waved and took off. My guess is that the boats following the swimmers were on a working channel so didn’t hear the arrangement on 16. It was a mistake on both our parts not to move the discussion (brief as it was and using low power) to a working channel.

Every swimmer was assigned a kayaker that accompanied them and they had a small boat for probably every 5 swimmers that flanked the stretched out group.

Just as I was passing well astern of the last swimmer, the I heard the same guy that had hailed me try to contact a very fast 20’ boat that was aimed to go right through the middle of the line of swimmers. The hails got more frantic and were never acknowledged. Unfortunately, the chase boat that flagged us down still wasn’t monitoring 16 themselves and seemed to be unaware of this other danger and they actually were faced away from the fast newcomer. Maybe about 30 years from the line of swimmers, the boat finally throttled back suddenly. I’m sure they never saw the swimmers but only the line of kayaks. If the kayaks had not been there, it could have had a tragic ending.

15 minutes later, another boat coming South proactively hailed the race and to coordinate their pass.

I’m considering contactcing the organizers of the open water swim and offering a few suggestions on ways to improve their safety. They had plenty of volunteers and were being conscientious but there could be improvements made.

For one thing, there was never a Securite call on 16. The chase boats should all have been monitoring 16 as well as their working channel (maybe they were I am making assumptions based on behavior). All discussions on passing should have been moved to a working channel.

What else might I suggest?

That seems like the sort of thing that the coast guard, CG auxiliary, or local law enforcement agencies might be willing to help chaperone. A few sets of flashing blue lights might be enough of a visual cue to those who aren't standing a radio watch.

That seems like the sort of thing that the coast guard, CG auxiliary, or local law enforcement agencies might be willing to help chaperone. A few sets of flashing blue lights might be enough of a visual cue to those who aren't standing a radio watch.

I was thinking the same thing. I did a quick search to try and find the sponsors of the event but came up with nothing. There are a couple open swim organizations in the area so maybe they would know.

It is one of those things that certainly doesn’t impact me, but I would imagine that any organizer would like to improve safety. Frankly, watching that boat just about fly through that line of swimmers really concerned both my wife and I.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom