Ilwaco to Puget Sound in April/May. Anyone else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
We are planning on cruising from Ilwaco to Anacortes in April/May. We have never made this voyage before. We have gone over CR bar aplenty and fished in Ocean for years. Is anybody else planning on this trip in a slow boat during same time? 8-10kts.

I made the trip down from Seattle to Stockton a few years ago and crossed the bar twice (in and out) without any issues.

Plan your fuel burn wisely. If you can, do the run from Ilwaco to Neah Bay in one run. Fuel at Neah Bay is cheap.

When you get to Tatoosh Island, you can either go way out around it, or cut through the channel on the east side. We did the channel on the advice of a retired USCG ship captain who frequently took his 190'er through the cut. Saves a lot of time and fuel.

150+ nm at 10 knots = 15+ hours. Doable in daylight if you leave at 5am or earlier, should get you there just at nightfall. Being out there at night is not advisable given all the crab pots. You can also consider doing it in two stages: Ilwaco to La Push or Westport, then on to Neah Bay the next day.

Our previous boat cruised at 15 kn, so it was an easy 10 hours. Our new slow boat has us doing 9-10 knots too. Boat is already up in BC but we'll be coming down the coast in August. Maybe an opportunity to team up.

Enjoy your trip, we have made that trip a few times, but we are a bit slower.
ASD is leaving early May, but he scoot’s along, so not much help there and he’s not that far from Ilwaco, docks in Longview. He is also gonna be in Ilwaco first part of March getting some work done while on the hard. Bring him a beer or two and the stories will fly.
Cheers

If you need anything up on the Olympic Peninsula (La Push, north) give me a bump. Will PM phone number.

What a very kind offer. It is Much appreciated. I look forward to the PM.

I spoke with Capt Tom on the ASD last night. Yes he does scoot along. Cheri and I plan to pay a visit to the ASD within the next several weeks.

I texted you a message with Crusty's phone number. He can give you some advice on running around the horn in a slow boat, where to stop and so on. He is expecting your call.

Neah bay does have cheap fuel, but don't expect any help docking if you are a recreation boat. The wind tends to blow off the dock so it can suck trying to dock all the while the attendant stands there and watches. When you ask them for help you get "I don't know how to tie up a boat." or hides behind the pumps.

As far as fuel we will get it from Port Angeles or Friday Harbor. One of the best places is Oak Harbor, but a little out of the way if you are on the west side of Puget Sound.

Back
Top Bottom