How big a boat do I need to do the Inside Passage - Surprise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Okay, just watch the first two minutes of this video and comment.

Yes, friend of mine leads that tour every year. They often travel at 60 miles an hour. It takes serious conditioning to hang on for their long legs.

https://r2ak.com/

Bunch of rowboats and Hobies in on this. No motors allowed.
They start from Victoria to Ketchikan tomorrow at noon.
First place prize is $10,000. Second is a set of steak knives.

https://r2ak.com/

Bunch of rowboats and Hobies in on this. No motors allowed.
They start from Victoria to Ketchikan tomorrow at noon.
First place prize is $10,000. Second is a set of steak knives.

I saw their departure on Seattle TV news yesterday. The first leg of the R2AK race is from Pt Townsend WA to Victoria BC, across Strait of Juan de Fuca. Unfortunately the wind increased to gale force soon after they started across, capsizing several of the boats. The Coast Guard had a helicopter and boats on-scene to rescue them.

Last edited:
Ken,
Yes, I been following on the site. A bunch of the small craft holed up on the spit, left 3 am today to go across. Nobody hurt, a trimaran dismasted.

Coast Guard said conditions were worst they'd ever seen!

To stay on topic, not sure how successful I'd be refueling aPWC in that sea state. Gas cap better be on a chain!

Last edited:
Isn't it ironic that they could have got across the Staits most days this time of year and then run into a gale on race day!

Last edited:
My father-in-law paddled a canoe alone around Vancouver Island when he was sixteen years old. Anything bigger that that is for wosses.

not very big

REad "Curve of Time": True tales from young single mother a long time ago taking her 5 kids and a dog every summer for years in a 25' motor boat, and having a great time.

The lead R2AK boat is in Clarence Strait, about 40 miles from the finish at Ketchikan. The next closest boats are near Bella Bella, about half way. The real race will be for second place and the steak knives!

My father-in-law paddled a canoe alone around Vancouver Island when he was sixteen years old. Anything bigger that that is for wosses.
I used to row off of Orcas Is. to the outer islands in a 16 foot rowboat I built. That was big adventure!

One trip I "lost propulsion" when starboard outrigger broke in Obstruction Pass, SE end of Orcas. Had to make repairs as I bobbed through the tide rip and not roll the boat leaning over the side. Welded those things up solid when I got back home.

A schedule can be the most hazardous thing about boating.

So true, and can be a killjoy too.

Curve of Time - That book got me interested into the idea of cruising/exploring points of interest along the inside passage

Just ordered The Curve of Time. Thanks for the tip.

If I can get my @#$%! boat in the water (the mechanic says “one more part is on order”, the latest excuse), I hope to ply the waters of the entire Salish Sea, from Anderson Island to Campbell River. I’ve always wondered if it was feasible to take it as far as Port Hardy or even Kitimat. Apparently it is, though I’ll be in no rush to tackle such an undertaking.

@PNW Drifter, I was just up in your neck of the woods, around Burns Lake for a couple weeks for a family reunion and wedding. I’ve been there many times, but never further west than Decker Lake. One day, though.

Back
Top Bottom