Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Fishing trip to God's country

Just got back from a halibut fishing trip to the north end of Vancouver Island.* Fabulous scenery, typical weather (rain, fog, wind, sun, calm--- don't like what you've got, wait an hour or two and it will change), and we caught our limit of halibut.

First shot is where we base for these trips (we rent one of the houses that were built to support the mill and salmon saltery that were in the cove in the early 1900s).* Second shot is what it looks like leaving the cove (the mountains in the distance are on the BC mainland).* Third shot is running through the islands on the way to one of our fishing spots.* The fish I'm holding weighed a bit over 40 pounds.* The other fish was too much to hold--- I had to drag it to the cleaning station on a rope.* It weighed about 60 pounds.* It was a bit over four feet long and while the photo doesn't make this obvious, it was almost as thick as the depth of the fish well in the boat.

In these waters anglers are encouraged to release any halibut larger than this as they are all females and each one carries between 300,000 and 500,000 eggs.* Like most bottom fish in the PNW, halibut have been overfished recreationally and commercially so there are very strict catch and possession limits and large areas of rockfish/bottomfish habitat have been closed to all fishing.* These fish grow very slowly (some rockfish live between 100 and 200 years) so their populations do not bounce back quickly.

The largest halibut caught during our stay was about 240 pounds and it was released.

While the halibut in this part of the PNW are not so big compared to what can be caught up north in Alaska, they are still very nice fish.* And halibut have a lot of meat on them---- the two pictured gave us enough to last the best part of a year.
Attached Thumbnails
telegraph 1.jpg   queen charlotte strait.jpg   knight inlet.jpg   halibut 1.jpg   halibut 2.jpg  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Doc
Guru

RE: Fishing trip to God's country

Very nice pics. I was wondering what you looked like.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

Yes, well, in case there is some question, I'm the one in the blue shirt....
Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Marin,* the first photo looks like Telegraph Harbor at the North end of Johnstone St,* but isn't that quite a ways from the North end of Vancouver Island?* Nice fish by the way, and better tasting than the huge ones anyway..............Arctic Traveller

?
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

Anything north (it's actually west) of Campbell River is considered "north island." Everyone I know who lives from Port McNeil on up considers that whole area the "north end" of the island.

By the compass the inside shoreline of upper Vancouver Island actually runs east-west, not north-south. Just like the waterfront in Ketchikan, which when you're there seems like it should run north-south but doesn't.

Who knows where the local terms come from. The huge maze of islands, bays, channels, and inlets that lie between Vancouver Island and the mainland starting from about Campbell River and going north-- sorry, west--- to Queen Charlotte Strait have always been known as "the jungles," a term I still hear used by the older locals.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

By the compass the inside shoreline of upper Vancouver Island actually runs east-west, not north-south. Just like the waterfront in Ketchikan, which when you're there seems like it should run north-south but doesn't.

Who knows where the local terms come from. The huge maze of islands, bays, channels, and inlets that lie between Vancouver Island and the mainland starting from about Campbell River and going north-- sorry, west--- to Queen Charlotte Strait have always been known as "the jungles," a term I still hear used by the older locals.
YIKES, you mean to tell me that all these years I thought the Ketchikan waterfront ran North and South I was wrong?* When I get there in a few days, I'll check with the locals and see what they think, but thanks for setting me straight.............Arctic Traveller

Old 06-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

Fishing trip to God's country

I'm talking Magnetic north and south, east and west here. When you fly into Ketchikan in a floatplane, the tower at the airport talks in terms of east and west with regards to landing and taking off*in the channel that parallels the town.* So in terms of aviation, Mountain Point, which is the initial call-in point when approaching the town from the "south" is actually due east of the town.

In True, the waterfront in Ketchikan runs northwest-southeast.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 11th of June 2010 05:34:59 PM
Attached Thumbnails
ketchikanmap.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
Guru

It all makes sense now. I'm glad it was just me, and not that Ketchikan had moved!................Arctic Traveller