Estevan Group BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken E.

Guru
Vessel Name
Hatt Trick
Vessel Make
45' Hatteras Convertible
The Estevan Group is west of Campania island and not far from Hartley Bay. This is Murray's neighborhood and I bet he's been in there. Access to inside the Group is via Gillespie Channel, on the southeast end of Trutch island. On the chart, Gillespie is marked by an entrance buoy and shows at least 3 fathoms at low water, but it's narrow with plenty of rocks. Douglass suggests slack-water transit the first time through based on current speed. Sailing Directions says it's passable with care. So.....has anyone been in there? We have anchored in Monkton inlet to the north, and then up Precipe channel to Petrel, but I'd like to try Estevan in the future. :eek:

No, we’ve only gazed at it from Campania Island but it’s our intended destination for this summers holidays. Those beaches on the southwest side (Oswald Bay) look amazing...

Last edited:
Oh, and Murray Anchorage is on the list as well, of course :socool:

"The Estevan Group is west of Campania island and not far from Hartley Bay. This is Murray's neighborhood and I bet he's been in there. Access to inside the Group is via Gillespie Channel, on the southeast end of Trutch island. On the chart, Gillespie is marked by an entrance buoy and shows at least 3 fathoms at low water, but it's narrow with plenty of rocks. Douglass suggests slack-water transit the first time through based on current speed. Sailing Directions says it's passable with care. So.....has anyone been in there?"

Hi Ken. WESTERLY was in there summer of 2016. In reviewing my log, it states that the current in Gillespie Channel was running the opposite direction and stronger than what was expected based on the charted Prince Rupert tide calculations. The advice of trying for a slack water transit is not my first preference, as it can be difficult to read where the rocks are, so better to have some current. But of course, not too much! High water with some current is probably the best first-time transit of this channel.

Anyway, we went west to Ethelda Bay where the Estevan Lodge is long abandoned. I think there is some interesting history about this area in the guide book. Then, decided to return to an anchorage just N of Sekani I E of Gillespie Channel due to the strong chance of dense fog in the am. This was a prudent decision, comfort level wasn't very high with transiting Gillespie in the fog with unknown current direction and velocity until possibly getting committed to the transit.

Saw a few yakers in the inland bays, great place for them as it connects with the W side of the Group.

Jay, thanks for the advise and local knowledge. A good point on having some current on the nose going through Gillespie. It would be interesting to see the old buildings at Ethelda bay.

(PS.....Jay's comments are particularly valuable, having spent his career running heavy tugboats in the PNW.)

Ken E

I find that whether the Estevan Group or other several dozen places in the PNW, exploration by dinghy or kayak trumps impaling the larger vessel on a large rock with a falling tide. I know of several vessels that have dry docked themselves on self guided tours with a falling tide.

I’ve not been in there myself, but have been in both McMicking and Weinberg Inlets on Campania Is. Here is a screen capture of CHS Chart 379501, 2015 edition. I would consider anchoring north of Sekani Is and exploring the entrance by dinghy first.

IMG_2393.jpg

Hi All!

Estevan Group is on SPIRIT BEAR'S itinerary for summer 2018, so you comments regarding Gillespe Channel are very much appreciated. I don't have my Douglas guide handy, so wonder if you can add some info on where the Estevan Lodge used to be located. Is this anywhere near the Ethelda Bay Radio Beacon station that is described in https://www.gent-family.com/EtheldaBay/etheldabay.html ?

Also, any intel on what's left of any structures still standing in the vicinity?

Looks like some interesting territory to poop around in. If we are of a mind, we might take a look at Trouble Channel as well, although probably by dinghy first.

Regards,

Pete

Jay.....Forgot this.....Did you try for prawns when you were in Estavan? There are a couple of holes in there that look promising.

Hi All!

Estevan Group is on SPIRIT BEAR'S itinerary for summer 2018, so you comments regarding Gillespe Channel are very much appreciated. I don't have my Douglas guide handy, so wonder if you can add some info on where the Estevan Lodge used to be located. Is this anywhere near the Ethelda Bay Radio Beacon station that is described in https://www.gent-family.com/EtheldaBay/etheldabay.html ?

Also, any intel on what's left of any structures still standing in the vicinity?

Looks like some interesting territory to poop around in. If we are of a mind, we might take a look at Trouble Channel as well, although probably by dinghy first.

Regards,

Pete

The Douglass book discusses Estavan in some detail and would give you some background before going there. I don't have any better info on Ethelda bay than you. The former radio beacon was close to Ethelda bay and maintained by a caretaker. The people are now gone and the beacon not in operation.

I would consider anchoring north of Sekani Is and exploring the entrance by dinghy first.

Yes, this is a good anchorage. Just across from it is Dunn Passage on Campania Is, we really enjoy that location and the half dozen safe others in that area.. Then going north towards Ogden Channel one can find many alternatives to explore on the south side of Pitt Island.

Also by taking Ogden you can avoid Grenville Channel if heading to Prince Rupert, AK or Haida Gwai. As noted earlier, Douglas's book covers this area in great detail. I have found charts to be quite accurate in this area too. But, rocks abundant once you get into seemingly secure places.

We much prefer when going this way to cut off at Klemtu and go through Meyers Passage keeping Princess Royal Is to north and Swindle Is to south. One could spend weeks in this area seeing very little traffic. The weather though can get windy, foggy and wet as you're right next to Pacific.

We much prefer when going this way to cut off at Klemtu and go through Meyers Passage keeping Princess Royal Is to north and Swindle Is to south. One could spend weeks in this area seeing very little traffic. The weather though can get windy, foggy and wet as you're right next to Pacific.

Yes Tom, we are big fans of the Laredo Sound area as well. Campania is a pretty special place and we also like Chappel Inlet.

Jim

Yes Tom, we are big fans of the Laredo Sound area as well. Campania is a pretty special place and we also like Chappel Inlet.

Jim

Jim, Great tip on the west side of Campania island.....certainly lots to see and explore. Looks like kayak heaven.

Jim, Great tip on the west side of Campania island.....certainly lots to see and explore. Looks like kayak heaven.

Betteridge Inlet is chock-a-block with islets and narrow passages. We stayed in the southernmost basin and felt cut off from the world.

Ken said: "Did you try for prawns when you were in Estavan? There are a couple of holes in there that look promising."

Wasn't looking for prawns at the time, really only took a swing through and overnighted N of Sekani I. Was heading to meet some friends down at Borrowman Bay (Tate Cove) which is a very good anchorage on the NW side of Aristazabal I.

Back
Top Bottom