Old 09-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Yeah, even when you're used to working under VTS when you go to a new to you area you realize very quickly how much is local knowledge. Sometimes I swear the VTS crew is trying to see if I have detailed local knowledge. I'm sure I've heard laughter in the background when I say "Stand by..." as I try to figure out an obscure geographic landmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Last year I volunteered to enter the VTS system. I learned real quick how much I didn't know. ie the pink lines on my electronic charts are VTS reporting lines. So when you enter the "system" you must report the ETA to these lines. Yep you first have to know where that line is...... I dropped out and I think traffic Victoria was smiling, laughing and happy I dropped out...
Old 09-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
Yeah, even when you're used to working under VTS when you go to a new to you area you realize very quickly how much is local knowledge. Sometimes I swear the VTS crew is trying to see if I have detailed local knowledge. I'm sure I've heard laughter in the background when I say "Stand by..." as I try to figure out an obscure geographic landmark.
Oh I have heard the laughter!! LOL

I have AIS and every once in a while, especially in the Trench (Grenville Channel), VTS will call or let other ships know I am out there. So I monitor VTS to stay aware of traffic around us.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #23
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
I have AIS and every once in a while, especially in the Trench (Grenville Channel), VTS will call or let other ships know I am out there.
SOP and it isn't just about ASD. Reporting vessels will be advised of all relevant traffic, especially opposing traffic.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
SOP and it isn't just about ASD. Reporting vessels will be advised of all relevant traffic, especially opposing traffic.
Yeah very true. Just kinda cool when you hear your boat name.

Off Topic: Never understood why there is no VTS in Alaska.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Kusadasi
Vessel Name: Irish Rover
Vessel Model: Fountaine Pajot Greenland 34
I'm curious about the references above to the "right of safe passage". Is this a North American concept and how does it differ from the term "right of innocent passage" as defined in the Law of the Sea (LOSC). I live on the Aegean coast of Turkey and my boat is Turkish flagged. We regularly cross into Greet waters to navigate the shortest routes between many Turkish ports and we sometimes get hassled by Greek patrol boats. However once you let them know you're aware of your rights they generally bugger off.
Irish Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: West Coast
Probably an "innocent" misspeak.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Portage, great post with good info.

I don’t have an AIS transponder, only receiver. I have only rarely contacted VTS as I normally try to stay clear of the VTS lanes and cross them as quickly as possible. However, I have contacted them twice when due to conditions I’ve not been able to clear the VTS lanes as quickly as I would like and wanted to be sure that the large commercial vessels I could see on AIS knew where I was and what my intentions were.

Those were the only times I wish I had a 15-20 knot boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
I'm curious about the references above to the "right of safe passage". Is this a North American concept and how does it differ from the term "right of innocent passage" as defined in the Law of the Sea (LOSC). I live on the Aegean coast of Turkey and my boat is Turkish flagged. We regularly cross into Greet waters to navigate the shortest routes between many Turkish ports and we sometimes get hassled by Greek patrol boats. However once you let them know you're aware of your rights they generally bugger off.
Just a common term but innocent is the technically correct term. Still the point is a right to pass through, but it's not unlimited and it doesn't mean, especially in managing a pandemic, that exercising it can't lead to trouble, just like you mention the Greek patrol boats. My point was don't invite potential trouble when there is no reason to do so.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #29
Guru

Deleted
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1599518707310.jpeg  
Old 09-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #30
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Before AIS I would contact VTS every time the fog showed up. It was good to know if any commercials were in the lanes. Now with AIS I can tell how far and fast the commercials are traveling. I no longer need to talk to VTS to see if it’s safe to cross.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Mercer Island
We just had a boat delivered to us from Sidney BC to Roche Harbor. The delivery captain did everything he was supposed to do. On our way back to our home port (anacortes) we were boarded by customs agents who (were very nice, respectful and bored) told us they watched the boat enter the US and did not have the proper custom paperwork completed. In the end it was a paperwork issue on their side but we still had to stop in the middle of rosario sound for some excitement. Stay away from the border. No upside
Goldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Goldcar
You did not get a copy of those documents to produce.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #33
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Oh I have heard the laughter!! LOL
Common in air traffic control. The smaller the facility, the more numerous and obscure the reporting points.

When i was the Chief at Aspen, one of our local air taxi operators liked to play "stump the controller"

"8572U is passing Coffee Pot Pass, landing"
We soon learned to counter with obscurity:
"Roger, report abeam Precarious Peak."
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote