Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #101
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitlenatch View Post
We live directly across from Desolation Sound (Pacific Playgrounds marina) so interesting seeing all the places you went to that we frequently visit. ... As I mentioned before, I am trying to move to a NP or NT and coming from a Cruiser that does 26 nts it will be a different world at 8 nts. Is it not hard spending a full day to travel to one place or another? We have met friends in Desolation for 4 or 5 days, then traveled home (1 1/2 hrs from Pendrell sound) for the night to clean up and reload then head back out the next morning. ... I sure love the rendezvous . Would love to be part of that. Sorry for all the questions everyone. Just want to make sure we get this right. Cheers
Phil
Phil:

You sound like the perfect candidate for one of those NT or similar boats that cruise comfortably at either 8 or 18 knots. I doubt you would go fast with a single, so that worry wouldn't apply.

As for the singly v twin argument, search for threads on that topic and you will have enough reading to cure any possible insomnia.

As I write this, my son (with only one engine) is missing his only two week boating holiday of the year, due to a failure of his "dripless" shaft seal that turned it into a gusher on the first morning of his trip. Luckily he was only a very short distance from his home moorage and was able to get back in and stop the flooding before the disaster ruined more than his holiday. There are more ways that a failure in a boat with only a single engine can mess you up than engine failure.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #102
Veteran Member

City: Black Creek, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Phil, I haven't worried at all about being in a single. We had one episode where we had to shut down the engine, drop anchor, and wait for a tow. This was the first time for me after decades of having single engine diesels.

I have always traveled in slow boats, so I don't have the experience of having to slow down. There seem to be two general styles of boating. There are those that go to a destination and enjoy that location for while before moving to another destination. There are also those where the destination is almost secondary to the process of getting there. I am definitely the second type of boater. I don't recall spending more than 2 nights in any location.

At 7 knots you enjoy the boat. You move around, you eat, you chat, you sightsee, you read etc... Of course one of you needs to be at the helm driving the boat and keeping watch. But as you point out, things happen more slowly at 7 knots than 26.
Thanks, that's wise information. I loved that last paragraph "Of course one needs to be at the helm driving the boat" Great stuff.
We have been the type to get there and enjoy the location. We should be more patient. Our boat is too small as our daughter likes to bring her friends now (looks like the parents have lost there ability to entertain her anymore) so we need to have room. I just don't want the hassel of a twin engine fast boat. I am a licenced Diesel engine technican who switched to management (the dark side) part way through my career with the same Diesel engine company (retired now). I have seen more drive train failures on fast yachts then I care to remember.
I remember in the early 80's all the commercial fish boats were single engine with massive amounts of hours on them and they just kept running. They were never worried! Why should I be!
Thanks again
Phil

Mitlenatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Phil:

You sound like the perfect candidate for one of those NT or similar boats that cruise comfortably at either 8 or 18 knots. I doubt you would go fast with a single, so that worry wouldn't apply.

As for the singly v twin argument, search for threads on that topic and you will have enough reading to cure any possible insomnia.

As I write this, my son (with only one engine) is missing his only two week boating holiday of the year, due to a failure of his "dripless" shaft seal that turned it into a gusher on the first morning of his trip. Luckily he was only a very short distance from his home moorage and was able to get back in and stop the flooding before the disaster ruined more than his holiday. There are more ways that a failure in a boat with only a single engine can mess you up than engine failure.
Hi Keith

Thank you for that. I believe I would have no issues with 8-10 knots. We spend most of our time in our area, so what took us 1 hour to get to, it would take 3. With what we have to look at, I can't see the down side, and when I tell my wife we will burn half the fuel, I will finally get her attention.
What do you or your son use for towing? I have never been a member of Ctow or anything or did a friend tow him back.
Thank again for the info.
Cheers
Phil
Old 09-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #104
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitlenatch View Post
Hi Keith

Thank you for that. I believe I would have no issues with 8-10 knots. We spend most of our time in our area, so what took us 1 hour to get to, it would take 3. With what we have to look at, I can't see the down side, and when I tell my wife we will burn half the fuel, I will finally get her attention.
What do you or your son use for towing? I have never been a member of Ctow or anything or did a friend tow him back.
Thank again for the info.
Cheers
Phil
He has a 15 on his dinghy, so was able to self rescue.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
He has a 15 on his dinghy, so was able to self rescue.
I see your from Saltspring. My old stomping grounds. Went to elementry school on Pender and high school on Saltspring.

Cheers