Cruise Ships prohibited entering Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The US is probably the country that was the least prepared to deal with a pandemic but they still keep blaming everybody else including the cruise industry

No one is blaming the cruise industry. And it's not just about COVID... all kinds of infectious diseases are brought aboard by passengers--impossible to prevent unless every passenger is quarantined for at least two weeks before boarding, which of course is impossible. Ted's suggestion that the cruise industry has to have insurance to reimburse medical facilities is also unworkable...but requiring all passengers to have medical trip insurance--which is very inexpensive (mine for two weeks aboard a Star Clipper only cost me $140 and includes medical evacuation by air)--and show proof of it to be allowed to board makes a lot of sense to me.

--Peggie

For decades the cruise industry has been plagued by noro virus. Those cases have been largely ignored by travel agents and cruise companies as it sends a bad image. The CVD 19 excursions have shined a pretty bright light on living in close quarters. No more ignoring of Petri dish living it would appear.

And yes we continue to get paid when we are sick on board.

We have very strict standards when it comes to ARD, ILI and AGE. Any crew member showing any signs of the aforementioned diseases is right away treated, isolated and being monitored and cared for so as not to spread the infection on board...

Do these rules apply to chambermaids, dishwashers, laundry, and all other crew?

For decades the cruise industry has been plagued by noro virus. Those cases have been largely ignored by travel agents and cruise companies as it sends a bad image. The CVD 19 excursions have shined a pretty bright light on living in close quarters. No more ignoring of Petri dish living it would appear.

I got a norovirus on a cruise ship once. Very unpleasant time for a bit less than 24 hours.

I wouldn't let that deter me from a future cruise. I've known people who've gotten far sicker on shoreside vacations. One guy I know got Covid-19 in Mexico. He's probably going back next year.

It can happen anywhere. You either stay under a rock, or you go out and enjoy life.

I'm far more concerned about being crammed like sardines into an airplane.

All of a sudden everybody seems to be a subject matter expert on cruise ships.

If you don't know the facts, it's better to refrain from saying/writing anything.

Cruise ships have only accounted for 0.07% of all Covid-19 cases.

Cruise ships happen to have the highest and most strictest of standards in the hospitality industry, much higher than any hotel, restaurant, theme park and the likes.

As a matter of fact the US Navy recently requested through the CDC if they could use the health and sanitation protocols in use by the cruise industry to fight the Covid-19 outbreaks on their ships.

And yes we continue to get paid when we are sick on board.

We have very strict standards when it comes to ARD, ILI and AGE. Any crew member showing any signs of the aforementioned diseases is right away treated, isolated and being monitored and cared for so as not to spread the infection on board.

The US is probably the country that was the least prepared to deal with a pandemic but they still keep blaming everybody else including the cruise industry.

Clearly the person who posted this has no understanding of how forum members work. The most qualified in any forum, whether photography, model railroading, biking and motorcycling, and boating, is usually some one who has no to very limited experience. In fact the more experience you have, the more you can demonstrate proper research covering the topic at hand you have, clearly the less qualified you are.

I live in a location that ships would pass by at roughly 1900 - 2030 hrs plying the inside passage. I live about 8 houses from the ocean so no ocean view. But I walk my dog every night around those times and in the past years, I'd look through a clearing to see an Alaska bound passenger ship going by. Later in the season, I'd get to see the ships all lit up. Every day for the past weeks, I've glanced over still in the habit of checking them out, only to see empty ocean.

Working and living conditions on cruise ships vary greatly depending on your job title. There are basically 3 classes of employee, and the crew, who work the hardest, have the worst conditions. 4 people in a very small room, 1 shared bathroom for many rooms, cramped dining and restricted to below deck when off duty, ....ie: social distancing is not possible.

Working and living conditions on cruise ships vary greatly depending on your job title. There are basically 3 classes of employee, and the crew, who work the hardest, have the worst conditions. 4 people in a very small room, 1 shared bathroom for many rooms, cramped dining and restricted to below deck when off duty, ....ie: social distancing is not possible.

That's what I was trying to get Savannah II to address. He's (she's) from Holland so probably has better living/work conditions than a chambermaid or laundry worker.

I think the cruise ship industry will have major challenges ahead...whether real or perceived, I just don't see the public signing up for cruise in the numbers required for these ships to be profitable anytime soon.. Big new builds in the shipyards must keep execs up at night.

Having already seen a couple of technical and spelling corrections made, I must add one. I have seen this several times on the forum and frankly it makes me a little nuts.
The word the OP wants is 'border" not "boarder", like repel boarders or boarding house etc. Thank you!!

I think the cruise ship industry will have major challenges ahead...whether real or perceived, I just don't see the public signing up for cruise in the numbers required for these ships to be profitable anytime soon.. Big new builds in the shipyards must keep execs up at night.
We just received a refund for a cruise Celebrity (part of RCCL)cancelled. I easily resisted the 125% "cruise credit" invitation. We had Ruby Princess here for weeks while we helped treat the serious Covid cases onshore and helped with others onboard. We had around 22 deaths from the ship among maybe 700 infections, respectively 21& and 10% of our totals. Cruise ships seem great incubators of disease and Covid was right in their line of disease support. Princess excelled via crowding and what I think is a lack of common areas facilitating distancing.
Unless there are major improvements, cruise ships are a proven dangerous place to be. Some brands, like HAL,seem better to me, but not better enough as yet.

We just received a refund for a cruise Celebrity (part of RCCL)cancelled. I easily resisted the 125% "cruise credit" invitation. We had Ruby Princess here for weeks while we helped treat the serious Covid cases onshore and helped with others onboard. We had around 22 deaths from the ship among maybe 700 infections, respectively 21& and 10% of our totals. Cruise ships seem great incubators of disease and Covid was right in their line of disease support. Princess excelled via crowding and what I think is a lack of common areas facilitating distancing.
Unless there are major improvements, cruise ships are a proven dangerous place to be. Some brands, like HAL,seem better to me, but not better enough as yet.
I think you made a wise choice for you and your family.

Having already seen a couple of technical and spelling corrections made, I must add one. I have seen this several times on the forum and frankly it makes me a little nuts.
The word the OP wants is 'border" not "boarder", like repel boarders or boarding house etc. Thank you!!

Wifey B: Oh, I resisted pointing that out so long. We have it in several threads. I thought at first it was a new trend in Canada talking about their boarders. Then I thought perhaps a British spelling or something. :)

Back
Top Bottom