Old 07-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #61
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
picking up debris.

Here in So Texas we have "Grass Burs" that will hurt like hell when they stick about 4" into your finger tips. Lei Choy gathers them in her fur and then expects ME to pull them out. I use a steel tined brush which does prety good.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #62
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
My neighbor came to the door one time with her 125 pound boxer, a very mild mannered canine, Tu Tat didn't like dogs so tore into him a mass of slashing fangs and claws. Poor dog took off full speed with the cat on him for maybe twenty feet. Dog didn't slow and was soon out of sight. Tu came back inside and stood guard at the door while we went to retrieve the poor dog. When i returned Tu was still inside the open door on guard.
Sailor hated dogs.

A neighbor lady came to our door with her standard poodle on a leash. I was talking to her with the front door wide open and she was on the porch. The dog started walking towards the door looking intently inside. I turned around and Sailor was right inside the door acting real nonchalant, just sitting there.

I told the lady not to let the dog get too close to the door or Sailor. She was busy talking and not paying attention. I was watching the dog and as soon as his nose got past the door opening, Sailor got into his Tasmanian Devil routine, growled and jumped up and gave the dog a paw slash on the face. Dog jumps back and hides behind the ladies leg. Sailor follows the dog out onto the porch still slashing at the dog hiding behind it's owners legs. Sailor slashes the ladies leg through her Jean's trying to get at the dog and she's bleeding.

I can't get near Sailor when he's agitated like this. Lady asks what to do and I told her to walk backwards slowly up the driveway. She did with her dog still hiding behind her legs. Sailor followed them in a low menacing stance hissing and growling all the way to the street. He made a few slashing motions with his paws everytime the dog peeked out from behind the leg.

As soon as they were off the property line, he sat down and watched the dog and lady until they were out of sight.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #63
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Our 16 year old Commander orders hugs from the staff (me) several times daily.
Attached Thumbnails
8BD0791A-9317-4FDA-A258-CED4E137D94E.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #64
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Starting this thread looks like I let the cat out of the bag.

syjos,
Perhaps you should extend Sailor’s name to “BarSailor”.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #65
Guru

Been a great thread so far, Willie, and it looks like it still has legs.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

syjos,
Perhaps you should extend Sailor’s name to “BarSailor”.
We called him Sailor T.

T for trouble
Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #67
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
cool cat!
Old 07-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #68
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Here in So Texas we have "Grass Burs" that will hurt like hell when they stick about 4" into your finger tips. Lei Choy gathers them in her fur and then expects ME to pull them out. I use a steel tined brush which does prety good.

I had trouble with china combs but found Resco a USA based and made comb company that makes a superior product.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:

Hansome well groomed Commander......Staff appears a bit worn around the edges pix of Katy Scarlet, a mangy doon doing taxes. She was a tiny thing never got very large
Attached Thumbnails
Dit about to start taxes3-04.jpg  
Old 07-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #70
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Hansome well groomed Commander......Staff appears a bit worn around the edges
LOLROF!! Is that the truth or what. Here’s a photo of his long time companion, Onyx, who we painfully put down some months ago. Got him from an abandoned shopping center.
Attached Thumbnails
AE037D70-F56D-45AB-B98E-C98587562758.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
LOLROF!! Is that the truth or what. Here’s a photo of his long time companion, Onyx, who we painfully put down some months ago. Got him from an abandoned shopping center.

chuckle.... just hit me thatseldom is seen a picture of a cat that isnt enjoying life in its fullest.....Are we missing something? Maybe we should take lessons from them?
Old 07-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:

Too bad our pets seldom live as long as we do. But on the other hand I have hesitated for years to get a McCaw (they live to 75 years or more) for a pet because they form such strong bonds with their owners and I worry about a McCaw outliving me and what that would do to it psychologically if I died.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:52 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Too bad our pets seldom live as long as we do. But on the other hand I have hesitated for years to get a McCaw (they live to 75 years or more) for a pet because they form such strong bonds with their owners and I worry about a McCaw outliving me and what that would do to it psychologically if I died.

Parrots also. My problem with pets like that is almost all of them are wild caught and they really belong in their native habitat whats left of it not in ours. Reminds me of when i was maybe 7-08 and a large turtle maybe thirty pounds wandered into our yard. I asked my parents and they said someone must have stolen it from the zoo but the zoo said that wasn't the case so we kept it. He/she wouldn't eat just stayed in the yard then died after a few months with no apparent cause. Wasn't till decades later that i realized were he had come from and why he ended on our property. During that period all the open grasslands around us were developed and turned into the city of Sacramento with our property the last remaining open spot for him to live. He was a local species like hundreds, no thousands of others that went extinct at the hand of man. Sad.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Cats have no modesty!

Can't get any more relaxed than that.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Cats have no modesty!

Can't get any more relaxed than that.

Wonder how Sailor T would respond to that remark?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #76

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Two years ago our dock mates at the time sold their business, retired and prepared to sail south. The last thing on their to do list was find a good home for their cat.
Our family has only had dogs due to my severe cat allergies when I was younger. My daughter has always wanted a cat so I agreed to give her a try....not a single sniffle or other allergic reaction. It was meant to be!
KT is a loving chatter box, truly a special creature. She even tolerates our little terrier mix quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
KT.jpg  

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Wonder how Sailor T would respond to that remark?
He had absolutely no modesty.

He was a male.

Well....... he started out male.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #78
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
I have hesitated for years to get a McCaw (they live to 75 years or more) for a pet because they form such strong bonds with their owners and I worry about a McCaw outliving me and what that would do to it psychologically if I died.
When I was in my 20's I owned an exotic bird business. I eventually sold my personal pet, a Goffins Cockatoo, to a guy in a wheelchair who needed companionship. That bond worked out really well and I was happy that "Julia" found a good home. After owners die, the birds usually get passed down to the next generation, or sold. Everyone adapts

BTW, I purchased my stock from the importer in Detroit, but nowadays I would never condone capturing wild animals (versus breeding them domestically), but hey, I was a kid then.

PS- McCaws are way toooooo loud!
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #79
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Donatello - our Ocicat. He likes boating and how it seems to bring him closer to birds. He does not like rough weather, however...

This picture was taken a few years ago, when I was foolish enough to invest the time and energy required to keep the teak from going grey. I no longer do this. Life is too short. I've since come to appreciate the color grey ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Norway_Donatello2.jpg  
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote